carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cloth or leather? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=140740)

FC 10-23-2017 01:13 PM

Cloth or leather?

It's the most YOLO purchase I'd make, but we are pretty sure we will be ordering one of the last F80 M3's for late June ED.

I'm settled on several fronts (moon roof instead of CF roof, yes to competition pkg with dark wheels, exterior color, MT, etc).

The one thing I'm still torn on is the interior. As you may or may not know, there are 3 options:

1) Cloth/leather (leather is basic 3er leather) - free
2) "Extended leather" Seats & door panels in fancy leather - $1k
3) "Full leather" Entire dash is wrapped in leather and also top of doors gets leather. An additional $3.5k over extended leather.

If you go with extended, for the same price you can get individual leather, which IMO has better contrasting areas on the dash. Examples below.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...psdc300bdf.jpg

Cohiba brown below (the color I would pick if we were to go with Individual.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8604/...e26766e3_c.jpg

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1444400366

$3.5k is a lot of money for a leather dash, but it does look a lot nicer and allows for different colors.

I like cloth/leather because of the comfort and grip, but I do have kids and think wiping leather will be easier. In both options 1) & 2) I'd go with black.

Thoughts?

Oh, an the exterior color will be Sakhir Orange. It would look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/cPqFfcb.jpg

dan 10-23-2017 01:21 PM

Definitely not the full leather. I think it looks terrible. I'd go with cloth

Jeff_DML 10-23-2017 01:24 PM

Since sunroof I vote full leather since more luxury oriented build.

FC 10-23-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 514595)
Since sunroof I vote full leather since more luxury oriented build.

I didn't want to touch on that, but there is part of me that feels that way too.

JST 10-23-2017 01:28 PM

Cloth/leather is what I'd get. Looks very cool and more interesting than any of the other options. Plus it's free.

bren 10-23-2017 01:30 PM

This isn't even a question. As far as I can tell, the only redeeming quality of this thing is that you can get cloth.

So yeah, enjoy your leather ensconced luxo barge. :D

Jeff_DML 10-23-2017 01:36 PM

yeah I be all over the cloth too but sunroof:eeps:

Also kids is nice to have leather as he mentioned

FC 10-23-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 514603)
yeah I be all over the cloth too but sunroof:eeps:

Also kids is nice to have leather as he mentioned

The CF roof looks great, but the eGolf has no moonroof and it drives me nuts.

I want cloth from a practical/comfort POV. Especially when full leather is 4.5k more(!), but I wonder about the kids ( could always cover the rear seats) and also wonder about resale, although that's premature and a bit non-YOLO. The full leather is very nice but it's also more maintenance.

I keep going back to cloth though.

The executive pkg gets you rear heated seats (only with leather) and a heated wheel and nice light and HUD and saves you $1k as it includes extended leather, but now you are talking about over $6.5k vs cloth and no exec pkg.

Truth is, the LR4 is a plenty fancy car and has heated everything and it is the primary winter/trip/family car.

Josh (PA) 10-23-2017 01:46 PM

For me it'd be:
1. Extended Leather with the dark brown color
2. Cloth/Leather
Distant 3rd: Full Leather.

Re: Sakhir Orange... I don't know if I'd want to own it myself, but there was a Sakhir M4 in the showroom when my car was in for an airbag and it was stunning to look at.

FC 10-23-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 514609)
For me it'd be:
1. Extended Leather with the dark brown color
2. Cloth/Leather
Distant 3rd: Full Leather.

Re: Sakhir Orange... I don't know if I'd want to own it myself, but there was a Sakhir M4 in the showroom when my car was in for an airbag and it was stunning to look at.

Still have not seen one in person, but I've played with the color sample enough to like it more than the gray/black/silver options.

Also, you cannot get the brown color as extended leather. if extended, it will have to be black.

Of course, there is option 4) you can get full leather in black, pay another $1k+ and get it all with Sakhir orange contrast stitching.

Jeff_DML 10-23-2017 01:51 PM

I like Sakhir Orange, unique color :cool:

Nick M3 10-23-2017 01:57 PM

Cloth with moonroof is a really strange combination that's going to turn people off in the future. Either get a slicktop, or get leather.

Jeff_DML 10-23-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 514612)
Cloth with moonroof is a really strange combination that's going to turn people off in the future. Either get a slicktop, or get leather.

yeah that was what I was hinting at. After buying multiple used M3's I agree but wasn't sure if he was thinking that far ahead or cares.

FC 10-23-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 514616)
... but wasn't sure if he was thinking that far ahead or cares.

Do you not know me by now? ;)

Jeff_DML 10-23-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 514617)
Do you not know me by now? ;)

:D ok, not sure if you care

JST 10-23-2017 02:19 PM

Eh fuck what other people think. Leather/moonroof is awesome.

Plaz 10-23-2017 02:19 PM

I'd probably go with option 2.

And I'd probably order a sunroof. Even though I have not missed having one even once on the 1M. Yeah, I know. I don't really get it either.

ff 10-23-2017 02:36 PM

Leather doesn't do anything for me, so I'd choose a high-quality cloth every time.

FC 10-23-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 514619)
Eh fuck what other people think. Leather/moonroof is awesome.

Did you mean cloth/moonroof?

Josh (PA) 10-23-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 514610)
Still have not seen one in person, but I've played with the color sample enough to like it more than the gray/black/silver options.

Also, you cannot get the brown color as extended leather. if extended, it will have to be black.

Of course, there is option 4) you can get full leather in black, pay another $1k+ and get it all with Sakhir orange contrast stitching.

I like Mineral Gray the best on M3s.
Sakhir is like Yas Marina, visually impressive, but not something i'd want to live with every day.

The individual colors are great, Tanzanite or Azurite would be worth the $1950 to me.

Looking at the interior options, Cohiba is sharp, but I'd do the Cloth Leather option and pocket the $3500.

FC 10-23-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 514628)
I like Mineral Gray the best on M3s.
Sakhir is like Yas Marina, visually impressive, but not something i'd want to live with every day.

The individual colors are great, Tanzanite or Azurite would be worth the $1950 to me.

Looking at the interior options, Cohiba is sharp, but I'd do the Cloth Leather option and pocket the $3500.

Sakhir can seem bright in the sun, but in the slightest shade it gets pretty dark. Gray is nice for sure, but I'm all grayed out. Had the turbo for 3 years, still have the LR4, and even the Miata is a bit of a grayish silver. The eGolf is also silver. Plus, my wife loves Sakhir so I'm running with it. I was very tempted with Tanzanite even for $2k, but it's just too dark. You have to have direct sunlight to make it look blue.

Also, going with cloth saves $4.5k.

Nick M3 10-23-2017 02:54 PM

Yas Marina would be my choice. No problems living with that on my end. Sakhir is OK, but I hate the way it dulls up out of the sun.

Jeff_DML 10-23-2017 02:54 PM

amazed by the amount of cloth votes, assumed it was just Bren and I

FC 10-23-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 514631)
Yas Marina would be my choice. No problems living with that on my end. Sakhir is OK, but I hate the way it dulls up out of the sun.

Yas is a bit too much. My wife and I saw it in person.

Well, I guess I'll just follow my gut and go with cloth.

zach 10-23-2017 03:58 PM

I would get leather, extended or full wouldn't matter that much to me since I'd probably get a black interior. I say if you love the brown leather, go for it.

FC 10-23-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 514642)
I would get leather, extended or full wouldn't matter that much to me since I'd probably get a black interior. I say if you love the brown leather, go for it.

It's more like, if I'm going to spend all that money in full leather, I might as well get something other than black. If the contrasting stitching were free, I'd go that way: all black with orange stitching.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1394583566

Nick M3 10-23-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 514634)
Yas is a bit too much. My wife and I saw it in person.

Well, I guess I'll just follow my gut and go with cloth.

I see it regularly in person. It's one of the best street car colors I've seen around.

JST 10-23-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 514644)
I see it regularly in person. It's one of the best street car colors I've seen around.

I think it will age well, if LSB is any indication. I personally like it a lot, but I like Sakhir, too. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

EDIT: Just looked up Tanzanite and Azurite. Both are nice; they sort of evoke Carbon Black, which was always my favorite E46 M3 color (particularly with cinnamon interior). But I don't think I'd pay more for those than YMB or SO.

wdc330i 10-23-2017 07:26 PM

We have the Nappa leather package (with leather dash) on the X5, and it really upgrades the look.

I would never have cloth seats with kids. Too absorbent...

ff 10-23-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514653)
I would never have cloth seats with kids. Too absorbent...

But shampoo-able. I've seen plenty of leather seats destroyed by kids (food/dirt/scratches).

Josh (PA) 10-23-2017 10:12 PM

I saw a Phoenix yellow or whatever they've named it M3 this afternoon. It was great looking too. I might prefer that over Sakhir

Alan 10-23-2017 10:32 PM

I am soooo considering going and ordering a new M4 so I can totally relate to part of this question, for me it was extended leather or full leather ... I have full leather in my R8 and honestly the dashboard and whatever else is include I really don’t notice anymore, we had the full leather in our GL450 and after a little time I didn’t notice it.

My vote is go for extended leather ... as far as the competition package I haven’t even considered it, this car is soooo bad ass unless I was to track the car and know what the f**k i’m doing an amateur like me would never notice the difference,

John V 10-24-2017 06:47 AM

From a resale standpoint if you're getting a moonroof I'd get leather.

If I were buying, it'd be CF roof and cloth seats. I really like the look of that cloth and I prefer them for a daily driver. And moonroofs are not my thing.

FC 10-24-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 514675)
From a resale standpoint if you're getting a moonroof I'd get leather.

If I were buying, it'd be CF roof and cloth seats. I really like the look of that cloth and I prefer them for a daily driver. And moonroofs are not my thing.

I agree with moonroof+leather. My wife likes the cloth but thinks leather is best for kids but full leather isn't worth it. Unlike the LR4, which we still plan on keeping forever, I see this M3 as a 4-6 year ownership thing, so resale will play a role -particularly when it will be a well-cared-for, low mileage example. I don't want to sell a unicorn.

I wish I didn't care about the moonroof, but I really like the light, cooling, and venting.

wdc330i 10-24-2017 07:51 AM

I think the CF roof purists are going to want the coupe anyway. Since you’re buying the sedan, might as well have the moonroof you want. (And I agree with you about how essential they are—but, then, I drive a convertible.)

Theo 10-24-2017 08:46 AM

Early congrats on the M3!! That color is beautiful. +1 for the moonroof and extended leather.

dan 10-24-2017 08:51 AM

Absolutely would go YMarina Blue

FC 10-24-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 514670)
... as far as the competition package I haven’t even considered it, this car is soooo bad ass unless I was to track the car and know what the f**k i’m doing an amateur like me would never notice the difference,

The ZCP doesn't really make it faster not would I care about extra speed. The big deal is that it has better traction, response, exhaust and of course, ///M-striped seatbelts. :lol:

It has unanimously been said that that is how the M3/4 should have been form the beginning.

equ 10-24-2017 09:19 AM

As a happy LSB owner, Yas would be my top choice. Second would be whatever BMW calls its sparkly dark navy these days. Azurite, tanzanite?

Congrats on the decision. If it were me, this time around, I'd do CF roof and cloth seats. I say this as the sunroof shade of my e46 came off track and will have to be fixed a second time.

One thing though - not sure if they have updated - but when the f80 first came out, there were no roof rack screw holes for the CF roof, even with the little flaps in place. You needed to have moonroof to put a rack on (you might not need it with the LR4, but it's a consideration for me).

I would not pair a CF roof with leather. For the leather/moonroof, I'd pair YMB with black or gray, I'm not sure. For the darker sparklier navy, I'd get the silver leather.

When I have a few free minutes, I'm going to spec one out for you (me!) - as I could be a buyer in four years from now. :D

Alan 10-24-2017 09:21 AM

Was at the dealer this morning taking in the 340 for service and saw this and immediately thought of this thread. That orange is really cool !!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6398548f86.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4c2116d106.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2329191cef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk