carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hot Molten Lava Toyobaru (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=52841)

Biggins 06-02-2012 10:51 PM

Hot Molten Lava Toyobaru

1 Attachment(s)
After months of waiting, I purchased my first new car. I have not stopped smiling all day! :D

I went with the Hot Lava Scion FR-S 6MT. I'm still on the first-day high of driving it (though following the break-in guide), but I think it is outstanding. I'm RELIEVED that I did not pull the trigger on the Solstice or MX-5 a few months ago. I know you all have read the positive reviews on the Toyobaru, and I completely agree.

Fast is a relative term, but it feels VERY fast to me (remember my car history consists of only a Civic non-vtec and a 318i automatic). I LOVE the small steering wheel and the seats. I'm still getting used to driving a manual in traffic; the clutch feels a little light and it seemed tough to get it into 3rd gear a few times. The "Prius" tires feel fine for now, but I'm sure I'll switch them out someday.

Also, many friends stopped by for a test ride. No one except my mother (5'1" ~95lbs.) could "comfortably" fit in the back seat. I plan to just fold it flat and figure out something for hauling the dog. I know I'm never going to want to drive the 318i anymore. I'll get some better photos tomorrow, but here is a terrible one I snapped this evening. I'll report back with more impressions once I get more miles under me.

JST 06-02-2012 10:57 PM

Wow, cool--didn't realize they were coming in yet.

Nick M3 06-02-2012 11:03 PM

Awesome. Congrats!

kognito 06-02-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 342570)
Awesome. Congrats!

:+1

RMR 06-03-2012 12:25 AM

Congrats! This car seems very refreshing in light of much out there in it's price range. Post up some pics when you have time and enjoy it.

Plaz 06-03-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 342570)
Awesome. Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 342571)

SARAFIL 06-03-2012 09:54 AM

Pics please!

clyde 06-03-2012 10:12 AM

That's great!

Oddly, two friends purchased BRZs yesterday, too.

rumatt 06-03-2012 10:25 AM

OK I know nothing about this car. I've discovered RWD, 200 HP. Sounds fun, although not particularly powerful for this day and age.

I've also learned: it's a Scion which is a Toyota, but it's a rebranded Subaru, whose parent company is ~20% owned by Toyota. Phew, glad I cleared that up. :ack:

This part sounded slightly less than ideal :speechle:

Quote:

the FR-S’s 215/45-17 tires are skinny. There isn’t a huge amount of grip, but what’s there breaks away gradually. We asked Tada about the tires, and he told us, “They are Prius tires.” You might think he’s joking, but he’s not.

TD 06-03-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 342582)
OK I know nothing about this car. I've discovered RWD, 200 HP. Sounds fun, although not particularly powerful for this day and age.

I've also learned: it's a Scion which is a Toyota, but it's a rebranded Subaru, whose parent company is ~20% owned by Toyota. Phew, glad I cleared that up. :ack:

This part sounded slightly less than ideal :speechle:

Are you seriously late to this party? There are a few (long) thread here were all of these details are discussed in typical 'Mudgeon obsessive fashion.