carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Keepin' it local (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Seattle Peeps --> Jeep Run, Who Wants to Go? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=14809)

lupinsea 04-15-2008 02:59 AM

Seattle Peeps --> Jeep Run, Who Wants to Go?

This is mostly for Doug, Kevin, um Lance, um . . . and anyone else up here in the NW / Seattle area who's interested . . .

Offroad Jeep Run
April 26th, 2008

Reiter Trails ORV Area
Gold Bar, WA

This is an open invitation to join me for some Jeep'n Saturday, April 26th. Someone in my Jeep club suggested I lead a club "expedition" to Reiter Trails since I am supposed to know the area better than anyone else. Interestingly, I wasn't at the meeting when I was nominated for "wagon master" status. :D

Anyways, the date is set, question is does anyone from this board want to join me?

I have a spare front passenger seat and if there's enough interest I can easily toss in the rear seat in the Jeep to accomodate more people.

If you want to run your own truck, Jeep, or WRX you're more than welcome*. But if you just want to ride along (or even drive my Jeep) that's ok, too.

Here's specifics:

Reiter Trails Description
This is the area I've been mapping for some time now. The map is finished and there's some interest by members of my club to get more people up to the area to check it out. Reiter Trails offers a sampling of classic NW trails that are filled with lush evergreen vegetation that cover wet and muddy trails that wind their way among dense stands of trees on some steep hill sides. If you're interested in what Jeep trails of the Cascade foothills look like come check it out.

Trail Area Location
The trails are about 1 mile off Hwy 2 on th eastern edge of Gold Bar, WA.

Meeting Time / Place
We'd be meeting in Monroe, WA at 9am at the McDonalds in the middle of town just of Hwy 2 (east of the 522 interchange).

What to Expect
This will likely be a full-day run. We'll meet at 9am, then caravan out to the trail head. Do a final trail prep and hit the trails. Lunch is a BYOG (Bring Your Own Grub) sort of thing and we'd eat somewhere on the trails. There'd be more trail running and finally we'll probably head off the trails and back to civilization at the end of the day, about 8pm or so.

What to Bring
If you want to go keep in mind we'll be in a wet, dirty environment. So don't wear anything you wouldn't mind getting dirty. We'll also be going regardless of weather. If it's sunny, great, I'd like to drop the top. If it's raining, the top stays up. But we might venture out of the Jeep for who knows what so bring rain gear if its raining. Also, a camera would be good and as mentioned, your lunch + snacks.

Let me know if you're interested in going.

* Note: Trails are a bit narrow for full-size trucks in certain areas. WRX won't go much further than the parking lot and gravel access roads. Make sure vehicles have strong recovery points. ;)

FC 04-15-2008 07:29 AM

I'd be all over that if I lived nearby.

rautox 04-15-2008 08:35 AM

*Insert obligatory statement of envy here*

ff 04-15-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 183544)
I'd be all over that if I lived nearby.

+1

lip277 04-15-2008 09:40 AM

Ummm.......

:toetap:

Have to check with the Mrs... but might work out. I also might have some landscaping work being done at my place but have not had confirmatoin yet...

But - If any of the other Seattle folks can step up - Go for it...
Don't wait for me to get my S**T together... :D

ZBB 04-15-2008 10:06 AM

Damn... If it was this weekend, I'd drive down for it. We'll be at my in-laws in BC (Saltspring Island) for a week starting Thurs...

Doug 04-15-2008 12:00 PM

Were off to Cali wine country Thursday through Monday. We also found a home we're going to put an offer in on so I'd love to go but my schedule may be too busy especially since we'll be out of town. I'll get back to you!

misterlance 04-15-2008 12:12 PM

:yes:

That would be sweet. I can make it.

lupinsea 04-15-2008 02:13 PM

Cool.

Check in here Kevin, Lance, as we get closer to the run. I doubt anything will change but I can fill in more specific info if needed. Kevin, I'll plan for you joining us. If you can't make it no problem.

Future Jeep Runs
For those who can't make it I'll be doing other runs in the future.

With my wife pregnant things will obviously taper off at a certain point. Also I'll probably sit down at some point and plan out the future runs WELL in advance. . . just because I have to, time is shortening up here and the schedule is getting crowded.

However, I can tell you have I have 2 definite future Jeep runs in mind, probably both in July.

Rimrock
My club heads down to Rimrock each year around the 4th of July weekend. With club members coming and going at staggered times there's usually a club presence down there for about 2 weeks. I try to spend at least 3-4 days down there if I can as it's a bit of a drive. We camp out in a camp ground down there and spend the days wheel'n up and down the ridges. Awesome views and steep, steep trails. Usually it's pretty dry being in Eastern WA, though it's forested terrain.

Pictures

Naches, Manastash, Liberty
I'd like to do a repeat of last years expedition (write-up). We'd start in Enumclaw and cross into Eastern WA via an old 1853 wagon train route that's now a 4x4 Jeep trail. Once in Eastern WA we can wheel around Manastash Ridge and enjoy the scenery and trails there. Then make our way down through Cle Elum / Ellensburg and up to Liberty, WA for more trail running. The idea is to simply camp where ever we end up for the night. Pack up in the morning and head out again. Time wise this would be like last year, too: 3 days, 2 nights. So either a Friday-Saturday-Sunday or a Saturday-Sunday-Monday. not sure which yet.

Pictures

lip277 04-16-2008 01:06 AM

Thanks.....

I'll then be #2 for this.

I still can't get this feeling out of my head that I am forgetting something I am 'supposed' to do that day...

But - what the hay.

:)

Still - Stay tuned. I'll let you know asap.