carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Get your BMW airbag recall notice yet? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=94420)

Nick M3 09-16-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 428803)
Mine arrived yesterday (Monday). I will be very reluctant to have anyone in the passenger seat until this is replaced. Since it only impacts our garage queen (the M3C), it's not that big of a deal. But it's pretty appalling that BMW doesn't have parts and isn't ready to fix the affected cars.

You're expecting them to have 550,000 airbags on hand at the moment the letter goes out?

John V 09-16-2014 01:37 PM

Yeah, I don't see the need for outrage. Rolling out a fix for something like this must be pretty tough.

bren 09-16-2014 02:13 PM

It would be nice if there was an easy way to disable the airbag.

Although, I guess unplugging it and throwing a code won't be a big deal since you have to go to the dealer anyway - but I bet they'd charge for the reset.

Nick M3 09-16-2014 02:29 PM

Not to mention that Takata has to make at least six million, if not more like ten million airbags to cover the recall for everyone.

John V 09-16-2014 03:44 PM

I highly doubt the BMW dealer would give you any grief if you told them "I unplugged the SRS fuse because this is my only car and I didn't want to risk driving shrapnel into my passengers. Please reset the light when you're done with the recall."

If they did, that would be a bit more of a PR nightmare for BMW and the dealer.

(If do you need to reset it, though, I have the tool :P)

Terri Kennedy 09-16-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 428819)
You're expecting them to have 550,000 airbags on hand at the moment the letter goes out?

Given that the recall was decided on July 15th, and they didn't send the letters out for 2 months, and that they said they'll have parts in October, yes.

And that's not counting the fact that they've known about this since at least late 2012.

John V 09-16-2014 08:49 PM

That's sort of ridiculous, and displays a lack of understanding of how slowly large companies work.

Terri Kennedy 09-16-2014 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 428891)
That's sort of ridiculous, and displays a lack of understanding of how slowly large companies work.

Are you responding to my post? I didn't pick the dates, BMW / NHTSA did.

July 15th - BMW notifies NHTSA that they will be announcing a recall. BMW tells NHTSA dealers will be notified in July, customers in August, with parts available "the following month" (presumably September).

And, for the record, Takata notified the NHTSA and BMW about this fault on April 11, 2013:

bren 09-16-2014 09:07 PM

I thought I read somewhere that this issue has been around for like 10 years....

Doesn't really matter for me right now anyway. Still have to finish drilling out the bolt I snapped in the hub carrier and figure out a way to rig up a new ball joint boot to replace the one I tore getting the carrier off the car. :(

John V 09-17-2014 06:06 AM

I thought you said it was late 2012 that BMW found out about the issue? :dunno:

I have no idea how long it takes to make tens of thousands of airbag assemblies once you've come up with a revised design / tooling / etc to fix the problem, but I am guessing it's "a long time."

BMW doesn't want to leave its customers in a dangerous situation so I'm sure they're moving as quickly as they can. I guess I'm just not seeing how this is appalling. :dunno: