carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Macan S loaner (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=151132)

FC 07-20-2018 11:06 AM

I think the Macan looks awesome. But I got a Cayenne loaner once and thought it had a nice interior and lots of bells and whistles but the engine sounded and felt awful for the money. It had the base engine too.

wdc330i 07-20-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 533673)
I think the Macan looks awesome. But I got a Cayenne loaner once and thought it had a nice interior and lots of bells and whistles but the engine sounded and felt awful for the money. It had the base engine too.

That base engine is a dog. We had one in a Panamera loaner.

robg 07-20-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 533698)
That base engine is a dog. We had one in a Panamera loaner.

Porsche V6 engines are confusing. There are atleast 3 types that i'm aware of:
1. Audi-derived v6 used in some versions of the Macan
2. Porsche V6 (V8 derived) used in Panamera
3. VW-derived VR6 used in some versions of the Cayenne

I think the Cayenne (atleast the 2nd gen) used both types 2&3. Pretty sure the Panamera was/is exclusively type 2. Not 100% sure on the Macan but I think all of its V6 engines are Audi-derived. And of course, add in various generations of the above with and without turbos, etc.

wdc330i 07-20-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 533721)
Porsche V6 engines are confusing. There are atleast 3 types that i'm aware of:
1. Audi-derived v6 used in some versions of the Macan
2. Porsche V6 (V8 derived) used in Panamera
3. VW-derived VR6 used in some versions of the Cayenne

I think the Cayenne (atleast the 2nd gen) used both types 2&3. Pretty sure the Panamera was/is exclusively type 2. Not 100% sure on the Macan but I think all of its V6 engines are Audi-derived. And of course, add in various generations of the above with and without turbos, etc.

Yikes. Who knew?

Jeff_DML 07-20-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 533721)
.. Not 100% sure on the Macan but I think all of its V6 engines are Audi-derived. And of course, add in various generations of the above with and without turbos, etc.

Maybe the base block but i thought at least the turbo setup was porsche. The base 2.0t is pure VWAG/Audi.

robg 07-21-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 533731)
Maybe the base block but i thought at least the turbo setup was porsche. The base 2.0t is pure VWAG/Audi.

Yep, I"m sure Porsche makes a variety of tweaks on all those engines. Just crazy that they have so many different V6s. I guess when you're part of the VW group, you're spoiled for choice.

Alan 05-18-2023 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just had another Macan loaner, this one was a 2022 4 Cylinder and I was surprised how great it was. The new updated interior is really nice, the ride was smooth but with really nice handling and the 4 Cylinder was more powerful then I remembered. Did they upgrade it from a few years ago ?

The only downside which I see I mentioned on the older model in the posts above are those HVAC vents, they are still too low but I did find the right position for them so it is something I would be able to live with though they should have put the center vents higher up.

Anyway it was a great vehicle and while I could not see myself daily driving an SUV that has changed since I drove this car plus I really like the look especially with these aggressive looking wheels.

wdc330i 05-18-2023 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 597190)
I just had another Macan loaner, this one was a 2022 4 Cylinder and I was surprised how great it was. The new updated interior is really nice, the ride was smooth but with really nice handling and the 4 Cylinder was more powerful then I remembered. Did they upgrade it from a few years ago ?

The only downside which I see I mentioned on the older model in the posts above are those HVAC vents, they are still too low but I did find the right position for them so it is something I would be able to live with though they should have put the center vents higher up.

Anyway it was a great vehicle and while I could not see myself daily driving an SUV that has changed since I drove this car plus I really like the look especially with these aggressive looking wheels.

Yep, I believe it got a power bump?

lemming 05-18-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 597190)

HA HA HA HA

Like 12hp.

It’s the ECU tuning. And PDK.

It’s still the GTI iron block. It’s decent.

SCA 05-19-2023 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to get OT, but somewhat relatable… We have had the twin to the Macan for the past nine days, a Q5 albeit a Quattro base model. Meh, I personally rather have a G01 X3. We have previously completed two roundtrips to Hilton Head in Enterprise rental X3s and my father also owns a 2022 X3 3.0i. The X3 is hands down the better vehicle in all categories.