carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Guess the Outback issue (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=142271)

clyde 11-30-2017 06:42 PM

Guess the Outback issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 517365)
[*]Outback has steering issues, so had to turn around a few miles out to swap into FoST. It can transport 4people, a tiny dog, and all their stuff 350 miles for a holiday weekend, but I wouldn’t recommend it

So, those steering issues...

Anyone want to internet diagnose?

Lots of on center slop. Have to move the wheel probably 2-2.5 times as much as before the car starts moving. When it does start turning, the amount of initial response is inconsistent. Once fully into the turn, it’s mostly normal.

In gentle turns to the right at freeway speeds, the steering almost feels stepped. Like a sequence of very subtle detents.

Similar turns to the left, or nearly-abrupt lane changes to the left under power (think merging onto freeway and quickly moving another lane or two left) initiate a significant vibration from left front.

At freeway cruise, steering is not confidence inspiring. At suburban side street speeds, it feels icky to me, but not necessarily “unsafe.”

My wife felt the vibration after I pointed it out. She doesn’t feel anything else.

I never would have called the front suspension quiet, but it be noisier now. Or I’m just hearing it louder because of the other issues.

Dropping at shop tonight. Any guesses what may be going on?

bren 11-30-2017 06:48 PM

Rack.

rumatt 11-30-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 517751)
Rack.

Gotta be, right?

bren 11-30-2017 08:06 PM

Given the symptoms, and Google searching for outback steering rack failure returns enough hits that it certainly seems likely.

Plaz 11-30-2017 08:10 PM

:ack:

That blows.

clyde 11-30-2017 09:54 PM

I was wanting it to be tie rods, but rack sounds like a consensus. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

Used racks look they go for about $120. New Fromm Subaru, $700. Wonder how much...

bren 11-30-2017 10:13 PM

Did you look at the steering shaft at all? I assume there's a universal and some sort of rubber. Did that look okay?

clyde 11-30-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 517766)
Did you look at the steering shaft at all? I assume there's a universal and some sort of rubber. Did that look okay?

I didn’t look at anything. Afraid of what I might see on many levels given the car’s history.

Forgot to mention my wife jumped a curb pretty hard a couple weeks ago. While I was a passenger. And I didn’t say shit.

rumatt 11-30-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 517769)
Forgot to mention my wife jumped a curb pretty hard a couple weeks ago. While I was a passenger.

:lol:

Quote:

And I didn’t say shit.
:slowclap:

clyde 12-01-2017 08:10 PM

Tie rod and control arm they say.