carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Should I sell my Bosch Level-2 EV charger? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=157973)

FC 02-11-2019 11:15 AM

Should I sell my Bosch Level-2 EV charger?

With the eGolf gone, I am wondering. I paid $700 and they seem to still go for that much or more.

I was thinking that that if I can get $400+ for it, I should let it go, but if it is only fetching $300 or less, it's probably worth keeping in case a visitor needs it, we wind up with another EV car at some point, etc.

Thoughts?

I wired a heavy-duty plug on mine so that it plugs into an outlet.

Nick M3 02-11-2019 11:26 AM

Unless they go bad, I'd probably leave it on the wall.

equ 02-11-2019 11:21 PM

If you don't see having an EV in the next couple of years (and we all know you plan years out) why keep it? Will it be irrelevant then or just as relevant as the limiting factor is house wiring?

John V 02-12-2019 05:34 AM

Sell it. Put the money into your investments. Then in a few years if you need a charger you can buy a much better one for the same money.

FC 02-12-2019 08:17 AM

That was my thought. I'll put it up for sale and see what happens.

rumatt 02-12-2019 08:18 AM

Is it plugged in a 220 outlet? Or hardwired?

If you have a 220 outlet, and your visiting friend drives a Tesla they could plug in with their mobile cable. I don't know how the other vehicles work.

I doubt I'd bother selling it for $300 though. I would likely keep it because in a closet hoarder, then curse when I buy an electric vehicle in 4 years and the chargers are all different and I need to buy a new one anyway

FC 02-12-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 545232)
Is it plugged in a 220 outlet? Or hardwired?

If you have a 220 outlet, and your visiting friend drives a Tesla they could plug in with their mobile cable. I don't know how the other vehicles work.

I doubt I'd bother selling it for $300 though. I would likely keep it because in a closet hoarder, then curse when I buy an electric vehicle in 4 years and the chargers are all different and I need to buy a new one anyway

:lol:

I have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on my wall (240V / 40A circuit - wire sized for 50A). I installed a dryer plug on the charger so it just plugs in. The NEMA receptacle will of course remain. I have one of those in both attached and detached garages.

robg 02-12-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 545234)
:lol:

I have a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on my wall (240V / 40A circuit - wire sized for 50A). I installed a dryer plug on the charger so it just plugs in. The NEMA receptacle will of course remain. I have one of those in both attached and detached garages.

Curious- how much faster (if any) did the car charge using the dedicated EV charger vs that 14-50 outlet? Seems like the 14-50 outlet should be good enough for any future EVs you might purchase.

JST 02-12-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 545242)
Curious- how much faster (if any) did the car charge using the dedicated EV charger vs that 14-50 outlet? Seems like the 14-50 outlet should be good enough for any future EVs you might purchase.

Not all EVs have cords that can plug into a 14-50. Teslas do, and Bolts might, but in many cases the EV manufacturer expects you to have an EVSE like the Bosch wall charger if you're going to charge at 240V (I assume that's true of the eGolf, which is why FC bought it in the first place).

FC 02-12-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 545243)
Not all EVs have cords that can plug into a 14-50. Teslas do, and Bolts might, but in many cases the EV manufacturer expects you to have an EVSE like the Bosch wall charger if you're going to charge at 240V (I assume that's true of the eGolf, which is why FC bought it in the first place).

Correct. The car only came with a 120V charger. The Bosch unit was a necessity.

That is a big beef of mine: At work, the owner/CEO has a Model S and the "Charging Station" only has a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, which is useless to many people. The day I was dangerously low, I had to park awkwardly near the only 120V outlet in the exterior of the building.