carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saw an Ariel Atom today (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=8936)

nate 02-11-2007 10:43 PM

Saw an Ariel Atom today

It was driving down Hillcrest. From a distance, you can't see the driver because the seat is so low. Since it was cold, he was wearing a ski hat and goggles. :lol:

Cool car though.

rumatt 02-11-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 133954)
Since it was cold, he was wearing a ski hat and goggles. :lol:

:bustingup

operknockity 02-11-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Since it was cold, he was wearing a ski hat and goggles. :lol:

:needpic:

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

It was driving down Hillcrest. From a distance, you can't see the driver because the seat is so low. Since it was cold, he was wearing a ski hat and goggles. :lol:

Cool car though.

Yup. There's a bunch of them in Texas. They're looking at forming a molecule (a regional Atom club).

FC 02-12-2007 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 133972)
They're looking at forming a molecule.

That's awesome! :lol:

rumatt 02-12-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

They're looking at forming a molecule (a regional Atom club).

:ack:

equ 02-12-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Yup. There's a bunch of them in Texas. They're looking at forming a molecule (a regional Atom club).

:lol: They should form some compounds first and if that goes well, maybe a molecule too..

I drove the Cayman twice in 28 degree weather with no drivers' side window. First was right after the breakage, and they'd stolen my jacket & hat too. :irate: So I was a bit miserable until the car warmed up and kept the speeds down. Later I picked a body shop about 35 miles away and on a sunny cold afternoon (26F), drove there at my usual speeds on the NJTP with the window down (Ed. I mean absent). I had a hat & jacket. I didn't think of goggles but I almost needed them as my eyes watered a bit. I actually quite enjoyed that drive. :eeps:

Plaz 02-12-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

If an atom owner brings a Porsche to a molecule, does that make it an ion? :lol:

dredmo 02-12-2007 10:11 AM

They should form boron, isn't that a foul smelling gas?

I guess it is a cool car, I don't see the real use of it though other than to be trendy. :D

John V 02-12-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 133989)
I guess it is a cool car, I don't see the real use of it though other than to be trendy. :D

:?

dredmo 02-12-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 133991)
:?

The trendy thing was a joke. But really, what is the point of this car? Comparable stats can be obtained by driving something much cooler and much safer IMHO. The Z06 had the same 0-60 and is more practical IMHO. Its handling is no joke either. I would be afraid to race this amongst bigger vehicles and I'd be afraid to take it on the road so...

TD 02-12-2007 10:35 AM

You obviously don't get it.

Let's leave it at that.

equ 02-12-2007 10:39 AM

I think you have some youtubing to do... Much much cooler than a ferrari if you ask me.

dredmo 02-12-2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 133994)
You obviously don't get it.

Let's leave it at that.

Yeah, maybe.

Plaz 02-12-2007 10:47 AM

http://plaz.net/plaz/atom_omg.gif

FC 02-12-2007 11:21 AM

I'd have an Atom (or something like it) anyday even if it were just for driving around on weekends, nevermind autox, or the track.

lupinsea 02-12-2007 11:32 AM

:stupid: Me, too. They are awesome cars that are stripped down to the bare essentials. I'd be like a street legal go-kart.

lemming 02-12-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupinsea (Post 134002)
:stupid: Me, too. They are awesome cars that are stripped down to the bare essentials. I'd be like a street legal go-kart.

other than the whole "street legal" part (and don't forget that gokarts that are legal for karting racing leagues are only about $5k)

:dunno:

it's impossible to get one that is street legal in MA, don't know about other eastern seaboard states. i'd have to have a full stable of about six other cars before i pondered dropping $50k to get an atom that i couldn't even drive on the street.

i'm with dred on this one. just when i think i begin to understand it, i don't all over again.

nate 02-12-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuka (Post 133974)
With all those huge ass trucks and SUV's in Texas, that is the last car I would use as a commuter.:eek:

I doubt that he is using it for commutes.

I just did a google search. This is probably it: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=111453

dredmo 02-12-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 134003)
i'm with dred on this one. just when i think i begin to understand it, i don't all over again.

I'm trying to understand the appeal and I'm reading more about it today than I have in the past and I really do not get it.

I understand it fills a niche, but driving it on the street in California at least is a death wish. I ride motorcycles, so I can't dog people on that, but why buy this when you can buy a lighter, faster, quicker, better braking, and more maneuverable street bike for 12K that gets 60 mpg? It cannot possible be a safety issue. :D

I truly either do not understand this car, or understand it better than most.

Ultra-obsessed karters or richer folks with, like lemming said, 4 or 5 other vehicles are the only people I could imagine would actually purchase this.

dan 02-12-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 134009)

I truly either do not understand this car, or understand it better than most.

Ultra-obsessed karters or richer folks with, like lemming said, 4 or 5 other vehicles are the only people I could imagine would actually purchase this.

sounds like you understand :dunno:

dredmo 02-12-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makaveli (Post 134010)
sounds like you understand :dunno:

Maybe I'm just defensive then. Td acted like I was an idiot for saying it wasn't practical.

TD 02-12-2007 12:00 PM

If you check out TopGear's vid, it is quicker and more nimble than a fast street bike.

John V 02-12-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 133992)
The trendy thing was a joke. But really, what is the point of this car? Comparable stats can be obtained by driving something much cooler and much safer IMHO. The Z06 had the same 0-60 and is more practical IMHO. Its handling is no joke either. I would be afraid to race this amongst bigger vehicles and I'd be afraid to take it on the road so...

A Z06 cannot touch an Atom in 0-60, but that's not the point. A Z06 can't touch an Atom around .. pretty much any racetrack, but that's not the point either.

I have a sportbike. In an ideal world where I could afford an Atom and lived in a state where I could register it, I would daily drive it (on days where rain was unlikely). Cars are too heavy. Lighter cars are more fun, even on the street. Sure, it's dangerous... many things that are fun are dangerous.

dredmo 02-12-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 134012)
If you check out TopGear's vid, it is quicker and more nimble than a fast street bike.

Sure, but not a new generation street bike like the Yamaha YFZ-R1. 12K stock - 180bhp@12,500 RPM. This thing is ~50K

Hey John V, I apologize if I read some faulty info, but isn't the Z06 and the Atom both ranked at 3.7 second 0-60? If not, I'd still have to ask if this car is really of use to anyone unless they were a karting freak or quite well off?

And FWIW...

Quote:

I have a sportbike. In an ideal world where I could afford an Atom and lived in a state where I could register it, I would daily drive it (on days where rain was unlikely). Cars are too heavy. Lighter cars are more fun, even on the street. Sure, it's dangerous... many things that are fun are dangerous.
I agree it would be fun If I had money/lenient state, but daily driving this thing would be impossible where I live. Gawkers and street walkers love to rip up stuff at my place of work.

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 134024)
Hey John V, I apologize if I read some faulty info, but isn't the Z06 and the Atom both ranked at 3.7 second 0-60?

No, the Atom is 2.8 seconds. :D

Plaz 02-12-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134025)

Holy crap.

At 2.95 your scrotum catches up to you. :lol:

dredmo 02-12-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134025)

Well now you're talking stock YFZ-R1 territory. Yeah that would be fun in more ways than one. Sucking up seat cushion even.

I'd prefer the $12K bike still, and have to stubbornly insist the atom is still not practical *to own* but holy shit, that would be fun.

John V 02-12-2007 02:20 PM

C+D tested the 240hp Atom (the "medium" state of tune; not the slowest, not the fastest) did 0-60 in 3.0 while the Z06 did it in 3.6-3.7. IIRC.

The Atom couldn't possibly replace a sportbike for me. I'm not a karting freak. I just hate how heavy cars have become. Obviously $50k is a lot for a car that would have to stay parked a good portion of the time. I'm not nuts enough to think it's a "practical" vehicle. But I would absolutely drive the thing to work, for runs to the store when I didn't need much stuff, for day-trips, etc. It wouldn't be just a "toy" for me.

lemming 02-12-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 134037)
C+D tested the 240hp Atom (the "medium" state of tune; not the slowest, not the fastest) did 0-60 in 3.0 while the Z06 did it in 3.6-3.7. IIRC.

The Atom couldn't possibly replace a sportbike for me. I'm not a karting freak. I just hate how heavy cars have become. Obviously $50k is a lot for a car that would have to stay parked a good portion of the time. I'm not nuts enough to think it's a "practical" vehicle. But I would absolutely drive the thing to work, for runs to the store when I didn't need much stuff, for day-trips, etc. It wouldn't be just a "toy" for me.

my only lodged complaint is that it's not street legal for any state that i would live in.

nate 02-12-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 134041)
my only lodged complaint is that it's not street legal for any state that i would live in.

Where is it street legal, besides Texas?

lemming 02-12-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 134042)

i have no idea.

MA is pretty tough on cars and the only loophole that i know of are pre-1975 cars which can pass emissions without being tested. but the chassis has to be of the correct year.

which is interesting because factory five racing is IN massachusetts. and it's unclear whether or not the cars are street legal --sort of like BELtronics being Canadian but detectors being illegal in Canada?

i can see the appeal of the Atom, but as it is, with the current legal structure, i'd just opt for a lotus (as much as it pains me to admit this).

FC 02-12-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 134043)
i can see the appeal of the Atom, but as it is, with the current legal structure, i'd just opt for a lotus (as much as it pains me to admit this).

Well, my lust for one assumes (like I mentioned earlier) that I would be able to drive it around in the street.

lemming 02-12-2007 04:50 PM

well, if you and i live in teh same gated retirement community, we could drive atoms on the golf course.

i am unsure if getting into one is friendly to arthritic joints, though.

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 134042)

There are confirmed registrations in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Washington. Atoms are also registered in other states but the owners haven't posted that info on the forum.

John V 02-12-2007 05:11 PM

That's the last straw. I've been looking for another reason to move to Colorado, and I think I've found it. :D

rumatt 02-12-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134060)
There are confirmed registrations in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Washington. Atoms are also registered in other states but the owners haven't posted that info on the forum.

Where is yours registered? :scratch:

dan 02-12-2007 05:27 PM

i'm guessing IL

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 134062)
Where is yours registered? :scratch:

Troublemaker :irate:

I'm currently working with NJ to register mine. NJ has a collector car program which exempts vehicles from safety and emission requirements, but NJ doesn't want to honor it, despite it being the law. I think the main problem is that nobody in the offices understands this.

rumatt 02-12-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134064)
Troublemaker :irate:

: oops: