carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Keepin' it local (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NYC Area auto-x (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=43095)

equ 04-16-2011 09:53 AM

NYC Area auto-x

I'm planning on going to an auto-x tomorrow morning. The croc has never been to an auto-x and I haven't been to one in six years. It's at 8am, hope I can wake up and be ready in time.

rumatt 04-16-2011 10:11 AM

Who's running the event, and which lot is it in?

I'm not around tomorrow or I'd consider stopping by.

equ 04-16-2011 10:43 AM

$50 for PCA members, $55 for non. I booked but website stopped me at 'pending review' stage, so I haven't paid yet. It's at Giants Stadium.

NNJR AUTOCROSS #1 MEADOWLANDS
April 17: Autocross #1; The New Meadowlands Stadium, Lot E

I'm rather excited to not to have to borrow a helmet for an automotive event for once as my moto helmet should work just fine.

rumatt 04-16-2011 10:47 AM

They run a pretty good autox. Nice fast courses. Of course, you have to deal with a bunch of Porsche people. :p

I haven't been autox'd in a while, but that lot was pretty smooth but had a lot of gravel. One of the best options in the area though.

Sharp11 04-16-2011 08:20 PM

I was up a 5 am this morning to make it to Lime Rock for the BMW CT chapter's skidpad and autox school.

Awesome day and I really, really enjoyed tossing my car around the skid pad.

I'm beat - will do a write up later on.

bren 04-16-2011 09:30 PM

It seems like I've read a lot of good stuff about the Meadowlands venue.

rumatt 04-17-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp11 (Post 303835)
Awesome day and I really, really enjoyed tossing my car around the skid pad.

I've still never done a skid pad. I really need to.

I might puke though. :puke:

equ 04-17-2011 09:53 PM

Did a half-day, realized why I hadn't gone in six years. I don't even mind cone/flag/radio duty, the whole thing is just not for me. Five hours for five runs, a total of about seven minutes of driving. Yes, I could have gotten another seven minutes for another 2-3 hrs invested, but who cares? 1st & 2nd gear going through a sea of cones... :rolleyes:

Perhaps a manufacturer sponsored event I might not pass up, but this sucks. Felt like an awful use of my time, I don't think I'll ever do an auto-x again.

rumatt 04-17-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 303913)
Perhaps a manufacturer sponsored event I might not pass up, but this sucks. Felt like an awful use of my time, I don't think I'll ever do an auto-x again.

The comparison I've made in the past is that it's like baseball. You might play for 3 hours and only get 3 at bats. It's not about playing time. It's about there being a winner, and a loser... and the tension and adrenaline that this creates when you're up at the plate.

Baseball is fun, but not in the same way that soccer is... or cycling... etc.

Sharp11 04-18-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 303847)
I've still never done a skid pad. I really need to.

I might puke though. :puke:

We had some newbies who complained of car sickness; closed car > circle > water everywhere :)