carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Miata grinding noise on braking (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159337)

FC 02-05-2020 10:42 AM

Miata grinding noise on braking

The car has developed a sound just like the one you'd if the disks got pretty rusty and you then apply the brakes. Except that this noise does not go away. No sounds at all during coasting, even at low speeds. It only happens with the brakes on. It does not seem to impact braking performance at all either. Also, at times, after driving, it seems to improve, but then it returns.

IIRC, previous owner installed some AutoX-friendly, performance Hawk pads.

I put the car on the lift and pulled the wheels. Visual inspections shows plenty of pad life, and good looking disks. The rears have some uneven radial streaking, but nothing I could attribute the noise to. Unfortunately, the NC has crazy-expansive inner shields, providing a VERY limited view of the inside disc surfaces - particularly in the rear. I could not see rocks or anything like that stick between the discs and shields either.

I figure I can:

1) Remove the pads and better inspect inner disc surfaces and pads.
2) Even if 1) reveals nothing major I could just change the pads (and?) discs.
3) Let it go. This worries me because given the amount of life left and use fo the car, this could be a LONG while.

Any thoughts?

Nick M3 02-05-2020 10:59 AM

Pop the calipers and check. I usually see greater wear on the piston side, so that's worth checking.

If it's good, reassemble and don't worry about it.

kognito 02-05-2020 01:15 PM

Not saying this is what your problem is, but I once had something similar when a pad had actually come separated from its backing plate. First glance everything looked fine with plenty of disc life left. When I then pulled the caliper. . . . oops there it is, as the pad fell off

FC 02-05-2020 02:21 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling I have no choice but to pull the pads and check them.

Nick M3 02-05-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 556013)
Yeah, I have a feeling I have no choice but to pull the pads and check them.

It’s less effort to pull a caliper than popping the wheels off. I hope it’s still on the lift. :)

FC 02-05-2020 09:05 PM

I pulled the wheels to check it a week ago and have been driving it since. Either way it’s going back up.

FC 04-02-2020 09:59 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Well, I think I found the problem. I took photos.

First, a photo of the rear right disk from the outside. Weirdly it shows some pitting which I've never seen before. I then took off the pads. Note the MASSIVE scoring on the inside pad. WTF? did a rock get stuck inside?! I held the pad against the inside of the disk and you can see that past the scoring, the disk wasn't even making contact with the pad and a decent section is untouched and rusted.

Then to the rear left. Disk looked a LOT better with hardly any of that scoring showing. Pads look a lot better as well, but again, there is a weird groove on the inside pad. A photo of the disk from the inside shows it looking awfully rusty considering it seems to have very little wear.

In both cases calipers look good and glide easily.

Oh, and the front brakes are excellent. For reference I took a picture of the outside and inside of the front right corner.

Finally a photo confirming the previous owner installed Hawk pads.

Nick M3 04-03-2020 06:07 AM

Well, i’d obviously replace the rear pads and rotors. Did you confirm that the pins move as well?

equ 04-03-2020 06:23 AM

It took me a long time, but I've learned that if a bicycle, a motorcycle or a car make a funny noise. It's not to be ignored...

FC 04-03-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 557912)
Well, i’d obviously replace the rear pads and rotors. Did you confirm that the pins move as well?

No doubt. I'm buying new disks and pads. Any harm in going with OEM pads in the rear with Hawk ads up front?

Pins glided smoothly on both calipers.