carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chevy Colorado (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=147258)

rumatt 03-29-2018 03:52 PM

Chevy Colorado

1 Attachment(s)
I left a deposit on a new 2018 Extended Cab z71 Colorado. Picking it up in Albany Saturday.

We'll see how I like the truck life.

PS Buying a GM vehicle is a pain in the ass with all the stupid rebates, etc.

PPS The Cayman and e91 are toast. Those interested, form a single file line, please :lol:

bren 03-29-2018 04:25 PM

You know what's even better than buying a domestic vehicle? Service and warranty work. :lol:

Enjoy! (from one of the other few domestic vehicle owners here.) :)

Edit:
I'll start the bidding on the Cayman at $25k. Good? I can pick it up on Monday.

wdc330i 03-29-2018 04:27 PM

Wow. Mazel Tov!

rumatt 03-29-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 526344)
You know what's even better than buying a domestic vehicle? Service and warranty work. :lol:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that.

zach 03-29-2018 05:40 PM

Excellent!

equ 03-29-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526335)
I left a deposit on a new 2018 Extended Cab z71 Colorado. Picking it up in Albany Saturday.

We'll see how I like the truck life.

PS Buying a GM vehicle is a pain in the ass with all the stupid rebates, etc.

PPS The Cayman and e91 are toast. Those interested, form a single file line, please :lol:

Looks good, congrats!

Hmmm, cayman R. Would sell the JGC for one.

But black's not my thing.

Alan 03-29-2018 05:56 PM

Awesome news !! That is a bad ass looking truck ... I think you're going to be very happy with your new ride !!

BTW that pic is kinda funny with snow in the bed and the exhaust smoking up a storm ... what did they do, move it inside so you can check it out ?

rumatt 03-29-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 526359)
But black's not my thing.

Well today is your lucky day, because it's silver.

rumatt 03-29-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 526360)
BTW that pic is kinda funny with snow in the bed and the exhaust smoking up a storm ... what did they do, move it inside so you can check it out ?

Haha. But it's a dealership photo. My garage is nowhere near that big. :( That's why I ended up with a small truck

kognito 03-29-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

You know what's even better than buying a domestic vehicle? Service and warranty work. .

Or the local dude telling you to take to Albany for service

rumatt 03-29-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 526375)
Or the local dude telling you to take to Albany for service

:lol: yep

3LOU5 03-30-2018 02:03 AM

Just for you, and may you have many trouble-free and memorable miles in your new rig:

ZBB 03-30-2018 05:25 AM

Congrats!

Quote:

Enjoy! (from one of the other few domestic vehicle owners here.) :)

I’lll just say that my experience with GM service was not good, especially for warranty work (the screen issues were never fixed on my CTS - and kept getting worse).

My other domestic has had a great service experience though...

ff 03-30-2018 07:11 AM

Congrats, and enjoy!

Josh (PA) 03-30-2018 08:10 AM

Cool. Hope it works out like you intend. Definitely post the for sale info on the wagon up when it is time. What is your plan for your bikes? Do they fit in the extended cab or will you get a locking cover for the back?

John V 03-30-2018 11:28 AM

Congrats... Hope you get good money for the BMW. I'm sure you will get good money for the CR

rumatt 03-30-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 526388)
Just for you, and may you have many trouble-free and memorable miles in your new rig:

:lol:

All I need is a hitch mount for my american flag and I'm finally a 'murican!

rumatt 03-30-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 526391)
Definitely post the for sale info on the wagon up when it is time. What is your plan for your bikes? Do they fit in the extended cab or will you get a locking cover for the back?

I'll post the wagon for sure.

No way the bikes will fit in the extended cab. It's tiny, and the Colorado is a fairly narrow truck. Which is actually why I got it instead of a full-sized beater. It will fit more reasonably in my garage, as well as my NYC parking space.

I'll probably just get a tonneau cover to put the bike under. I haven't been riding much in the last few months. For now I just want to drive over things and haul firewood and junk around. :bigpimp:

ff 03-30-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526437)
:lol:

All I need is a hitch mount for my american flag and I'm finally a 'murican!

Is that a thing up in NY too?

kognito 03-30-2018 07:48 PM

FWIW, my GMC is working perfectly. One recall, the dealer had to print an insert for something missing in the manual.

Our 2010 Chevy Malibu gave us 4 years, 45K miles with zero issues . . . until it did. It shut down while the wife was driving home, I got to it and couldn't get it to stay running either, but got it off the main road it was on until AAA showed up to tow it to the dealer. As soon as it was off the rollback, it started up and ran fine, dealer found no codes.

Dumped it, cause the mrs didn't trust it anymore.

Come to think of it, my 2005 2500HD duramax never visited a dealer either.

bren 03-30-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526438)
I'll probably just get a tonneau cover....

I'd take a good look at one of the hard folding-panel types, like the Bakflip.

rumatt 03-31-2018 12:29 AM

Yeah I started looking at tonneau covers and there are so damn many... I decided I'd take my time and figure it out later.

3LOU5 03-31-2018 02:17 AM

Tonneau cover, schmonneau cover.

I'm partial to this..

I have one on my Silverado, and it's way more useful, imo.

rumatt 03-31-2018 06:46 AM

I was actually thinking about that.

It them when you do want to put something tall in it, it's a giant pain km the ass.

I'm going to get nothing for a while and see what inspires me.

bren 03-31-2018 08:49 AM

I have a cap now, it's not what you want. You want the folding hard panel. They secure what's in the bed, and you don't have to remove it if you have something large.

rumatt 03-31-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 526456)
I have a cap now, it's not what you want. You want the folding hard panel. They secure what's in the bed, and you don't have to remove it if you have something large.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I agree.

People seem to like the fold-a-cover because it has 4 panels so you get access to 75% of the bed without having to remove it. But it doesn't flip up to give you that last 25. You have to remove 4 bolts to get it off

wdc330i 03-31-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526459)

People seem to like the fold-a-cover because it has 4 panels so you get access to 75% of the bed without having to remove it. But it doesn't flip up to give you that last 25. You have to remove 4 bolts to get it off

My FIL has sliding cover on the track. Seems to work fine.

bren 03-31-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526459)

I have one like that too, but on mine you just flip a couple levers to remove it. After you remove it though, you have to store it somewhere.... Get a Bakflip style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 526464)
My FIL has sliding cover on the track. Seems to work fine.

That kind is too easy to cut into.

John V 04-01-2018 03:34 PM

Matt, you may consider just calling Strano. He sells all the tonneau covers and caps and can steer you in the right direction.

I had a snap-style soft tonneau on my Silverado (previous owner bought it). I liked it, but it doesn't offer any security. I just never left anything of value in the bed if the truck was going to be parked outside. It wouldn't be my first choice.

The Ram has a Leer cap. It's nice for hauling stuff for racing, and it locks, but it would be pretty easy to break into if one were motivated. Not sure it gets much more secure than that. The main downside is hauling a load of mulch, gravel, etc... you have to take the cap off. Which is annoying, because it's heavy as hell. And then you need to put it somewhere.

Kevin has the sliding roll-up style hard cover. Pull a latch and push it and it retracts to the base of the cab. I think I like this style the best, but he can't haul nearly the amount of stuff in the bed that I can.

Big Mike has the panel-style fold-up tonneau. I like this style the least because the internal latches take up room in the bed, tend to get caught on stuff, and it doesn't offer any more security than a regular tonneau.

clyde 04-01-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 526490)
The main downside is hauling a load of mulch, gravel, etc... you have to take the cap off. Which is annoying, because it's heavy as hell. And then you need to put it somewhere.

Aren't there lift systems to help with both those issues?

John V 04-02-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 526498)
Aren't there lift systems to help with both those issues?

Probably? But would that not require having a garage with enough ceiling height to hoist up the cap? My detached has enough height for that but the attached does not...

kognito 04-02-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 526526)
Probably? But would that not require having a garage with enough ceiling height to hoist up the cap? My detached has enough height for that but the attached does not...

This. The president of one of the German companies I worked for had a neat pulley system for removing and storing the removable hard top for his SL500

clyde 04-02-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 526526)

Back truck into garage. Attach. Raise a couple inches? Drive off?

Just did an image search and saw something that gave me an idea. You could probably build something with wood and/or metal pipe riding on casters that that you can wheel into place and then move somewhere else. Inside and outside. :dunno:

rumatt 04-02-2018 11:13 PM

300 mile update: So far I'm really liking the truck.

It's reasonably quite and pleasant to drive. The z71 package gives you shocks and all-terrain tires that produce pretty spongy steering, but it's a truck so somehow I'm OK with that.

The steering is overboosted and the ride isn't the smoothest over bumps (although not terrible either)... but it's a truck so somehow I'm OK with that.

At my parents house I had a chance to drive around on some rough terrain and use the truck to steal some of their firewood that I had just split. It was fun. I'm loving that I can finally move shit around without having to ask for help or rent a vehicle. It's liberating.

And this morning I drove in 5" of unplowed snow. In RWD the truck was useless, but in 4-high it was great. Even with no weight in the back, and with all-season / all terrain tires, it was completely stable in turns and while accelerating.

The interior is pretty econobox, but so far it isn't bothering me. I was tempted to get the GMC instead but it didn't have the same incentives so was 3k more expensive. And somehow it just felt like putting lipstick on a pig. If I'm getting a chevy, I'll just take the chevy.

The seats are pretty mediocre and a complaint of a lot of owners. I got the leather seats because they have less of a bulge around the edge of the seat bottom that makes people's legs fall asleep (including mine). That and the base seats look like garbage. The leather seats are flat and firm but they actually work reasonably well for me. Except the complete lack of side bolstering. Every corner I feel like I'm going to slide off the seat sideways.

Android auto is great. It's buggy but I'm sure they'll work that out. I want it in any new car I buy moving forward. Add this to the list of bad decisions being made by BMW (they don't offer it.)

The paint is "Graphite Metallic" which I was hoping was a dark gray. It turns out it has a significant green tint to it and it's darker than I suspected. It basically looks green during the day and black at night. Oh well.

When buying I was considering buying a big old rusty full-sizer to sit out in the driveway as a 3rd vehicle. But I was tired of having more cars than garage space and my insurance bill has been pissing me off. So I decided a new Colorado would play the role of both a) winter car and b) truck-stuff. So far I'm thinking that decision might work out.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f8065362cb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac36d0012d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fa04cac8db.jpg

rumatt 04-02-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 526467)
I have one like that too, but on mine you just flip a couple levers to remove it. After you remove it though, you have to store it somewhere.... Get a Bakflip style.

Right... maybe. I do like a lot about it. The blocking the rear view is kind of annoying, but I guess better than not being able to haul the item because you had nowhere to store the cover.

The other issue is that any tonneau that you release by opening the gate and pulling a string - it might as well not lock. All you have to do is slide a hanger in there and pull the string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8kBhUynf4

Quote:

Kevin has the sliding roll-up style hard cover. Pull a latch and push it and it retracts to the base of the cab. I think I like this style the best, but he can't haul nearly the amount of stuff in the bed that I can.

I was originally leaning toward one of these. But I don't like that it takes up space inside the bed (about 10"x10"). With a folding one I can jam more stuff under the cover when it's open, like a bicycle or the the end of a kayak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 526568)
Just did an image search and saw something that gave me an idea. You could probably build something with wood and/or metal pipe riding on casters that that you can wheel into place and then move somewhere else. Inside and outside. :dunno:

I don't have anywhere near the room for something like that, inside or outside the garage. The cap is officially out.

3LOU5 04-03-2018 06:37 AM

What all-terrain tires came with the truck ??

Btw, I get the very “liberating” thing. When I drive my beater full-size off-road or in the deep snow, it’s practically unstoppable. And when hauling/towing stuff, you can’t beat it.

I don’t quite understand how one household can have two of the same type of cars. There’s a guy on a Toyota Sienna forum that proudly brags he AND his wife drive their own Camry SEs.

TWO Camrys.

Really ?!?!

Anyway, a household should have at least one pickup……

John V 04-03-2018 06:54 AM

It's funny you mention the insurance bill annoying you. I just paid our car insurance for the next 6 months, and the Boxster was the biggest hit for all of the vehicles we have (the Ram isn't far behind, though...). For a vehicle that I only use 6 or 7 months out of the year. It honestly got me thinking of selling it.

I'll probably change my mind once the weather gets nice enough to drive it.

rumatt 04-03-2018 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 526579)
It's funny you mention the insurance bill annoying you. I just paid our car insurance for the next 6 months, and the Boxster was the biggest hit for all of the vehicles we have (the Ram isn't far behind, though...). For a vehicle that I only use 6 or 7 months out of the year. It honestly got me thinking of selling it.

Exactly. I thought about keeping the wagon around just for kicks, to have a non-truck winter vehicle. But the wagon as a 3rd vehicle ends up being almost as expensive as the main vehicle, every though the wagon would spend most of its time parked in a locked garage.

It's stupid. Their models do a shitty job of representing the actual risk of me adding a 3rd vehicle.

Together with my rates going up lately for no explainable reason, it fueled my desire to go down to two cars.

rumatt 04-03-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 526578)
What all-terrain tires came with the truck ??

"Goodyear wrangler all terrain adventure with kevlar". Long enough name?

They get mediocre reviews but I was still impressed at how they did in the snow. It was a wet snow so maybe it was an easy test, but still.

rumatt 04-03-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Kevin has the sliding roll-up style hard cover. Pull a latch and push it and it retracts to the base of the cab. I think I like this style the best

This roll-n-lock looks pretty sweet, particularly with the bed divider. I just wonder how often the bed space it takes up is going to piss me off - like when trying to carry my bike below. I think it would slide under the roll up box... Maybe.

That and how well it will retract after 2 years of being covered with leaves and tree sap.

https://youtu.be/Yu2PZdUizlI

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9e0add72c6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...762cead06e.jpg