carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tesla Model ≡ Thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=121553)

ZBB 03-27-2016 11:23 AM

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

Figured I'd start a new thread on the Model ≡

From the Chevy SS thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 474411)
I've been thinking...

If I put money down on the Model 3 on Thurs, and then buy one of these to replace the Model S toward the end of the year...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 474414)
So you're putting a deposit on a Model 3? I can't decide if I want to or not… Mostly since I'm not sure I'd want to get one in the first 6-12 months of build. Talked to a Model X owner a week ago and his X has some build quality issues (including some scratches in the paint on the A-pillars -- he thinks the windshield install went awry…). My Model S was built 11 months after the first deliveries -- and it has a few minor build quality issues. But I guess a refundable $1k would at least hold a spot...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 474417)
I will be putting a deposit down on the Model 3 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 474418)
Not sure about the Model 3, but I'll probably put cash down on the first day, pending the reveal anyway.

JST 03-27-2016 11:28 AM

Ha. Was thinking of starting this thread last night.

One thing to remember when putting cash down; the Model 3 will almost certainly launch like the X and the S, with the highest spec cars produced first. So, unless you're planning on ordering a fully kitted out Model 3 (which will prob be 80 or 90 grand), it's not clear that putting money down first will get you one of the first cars built.

I'm hoping that Tesla has learned something from the X, and that the 3 will have fewer goofy features that delay production. But we'll know at least a little more Thursday evening.

ZBB 03-27-2016 11:29 AM

Here's the link to the Model 3 Reservations Agreement that someone over at TMC found… Appears nearly identical to the Model S agreement I had when I put my deposit down (which was also with Tesla's Florida entity…).

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/de..._agreement.pdf

ZBB 03-27-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 474430)
Ha. Was thinking of starting this thread last night.

One thing to remember when putting cash down; the Model 3 will almost certainly launch like the X and the S, with the highest spec cars produced first. So, unless you're planning on ordering a fully kitted out Model 3 (which will prob be 80 or 90 grand), it's not clear that putting money down first will get you one of the first cars built.

I'm hoping that Tesla has learned something from the X, and that the 3 will have fewer goofy features that delay production. But we'll know at least a little more Thursday evening.

Elon has already tweeted that the ≡ will be "simpler"… With the Bolt slated to go into production late this year, they need to keep on schedule.

As for the deposit, it may be the only way to get the full federal tax credit… Those phase out for a manufacturer once they sell 200k EVs in the US -- and Model ≡ will take Tesla over the limit fairly quickly.

For reference, the credit phase out works like this:
- Full Credit ($7500) avail through the calendar quarter after 200k cars are sold
- 50% of credit avail for the next 6 months
- 25% of credit avail for another 6 months
- No more credits for that manufacturer…

So if Tesla hits 200k cumulative US sales in June 2018, then the full credit will be avail through Sept 2018, 50% from Oct '18 to Mar '19 and 25% from Apr '19 to Sep '19...

clyde 03-27-2016 01:45 PM

Is it the "3" or the "hamburger"? I ask because I keep seeing people use the hamburger icon for it.

ZBB 03-27-2016 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Both...

Symbol will be the Tesla E, which is a hamburger. But it will be spoken as Model 3. Attached is an image they sent out about the reveal on Thurs...

Basically Tesla tried to trademark Model E, but Ford balked, claiming it was too similar to their now out of production E-series vans (the former Econoline)...

Speculation is that the smaller crossover will be Model Y -- if so, the Tesla model lineup would be S ≡ X Y

Alan 03-27-2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 474439)
Both...

Symbol will be the Tesla E, which is a hamburger. But it will be spoken as Model 3. Attached is an image they sent out about the reveal on Thurs...

Basically Tesla tried to trademark Model E, but Ford balked, claiming it was too similar to their now out of production E-series vans (the former Econoline)...

Speculation is that the smaller crossover will be Model Y -- if so, the Tesla model lineup would be S ≡ X Y

How did you even make that symbol ? I don't see it on my keyboard ...

When is this model 3 coming out ? From a quick Google search it looks like it will compete with the 3 series and with that instant power on feel it looks like it is going to be so something to really look into ...

In general do Tesla's have decent resale value ?

JST 03-27-2016 06:07 PM

Deliveries for the Model 3 are set to start in 2017, which I take to mean that they will deliver a few hundred cars in late 2017. I'd bet on early 2018 as the timeframe for delivery of a reservation you make on day 1, again assuming your going to buy a fully optioned car.

Resale? Meh. It's not terrible, but it's in line with other cars in this price range, which means the dropoff can be fairly precipitous.

What has hurt Model S resale is 1) a string of hardware updates that mean later cars are more capable than early cars, and 2) Tesla establishing a CPO program that makes private sale cars a lot less attractive.

I suspect the Model 3 will have some of the same issues.

bren 03-27-2016 07:02 PM

I'm inclined to place a deposit and see how things play out.

I can't imagine resale being very strong on one of these though, and build issues are also a big concern.

John V 03-28-2016 07:21 AM

Are we really going to call it the "≡?" :rolleyes: