carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   thinking about a V8 S5 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=96331)

Optimus Prime 10-19-2014 03:30 PM

thinking about a V8 S5

[knocks dust off user-name]

BIL is getting an RS5, and trading in his 2010 S5. 45k miles, manual, great condition. The dealer offered him $30k for a trade in.

I don't need the S5... but I want the S5

Who wants to talk me into or out of an S5? :D

equ 10-19-2014 05:04 PM

Does it have rear sports diff ( important option IMHO)?
Secondly, does it have drive select controls (these became standard later)?
Bang & Olufsen?
Color?

They are gorgeous cars, and I don't think too much trouble.

I'm not sure how similar the '10 v8 engine is to the '04 4.2 v8 I had in my s4 avant. I believe very similar (minor updates, mine was rated 340hp). I personally prefer the 3.0"T", supercharged engine, but one thing I must say is that I'm not getting the fuel mpg's i hoped. Still only getting around 20 all-around, maybe 22-23 on longer trips. That's only 2-3 better than the v8, not 5-6 better as expected.

equ 10-19-2014 05:06 PM

Also, per Galves $30k is a strong trade-in.

kognito 10-19-2014 08:23 PM

Hey equ, You ever think about changing the 6th gear in your old S4??

a little expensive but if I ever have to "go there" (clutch or tranny) I might order this

equ 10-19-2014 10:36 PM

How about changing the rear end? Wouldn't the gears all be a bit smoother then? Also not sure how much labor would be. Agreed that the v8 s4 felt geared short as a dd (but I guess geared well for a track weapon for the 0.01% of the buyers who use it as such).

JST 10-19-2014 10:48 PM

You'd have to change both front and rear, of course.

I wouldn't, though--the V8 S4s I've driven always struck me as torque challenged in the low part of the rev band. I don't think going to a taller final drive would be satisfying.

I like the way the S5s look. I love the way they sound. I think it would be a nice daily driver, but I tend to agree with equ; the V6 is a better engine, even if it doesn't have the same aural character.

Optimus Prime 10-21-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 432212)
Does it have rear sports diff ( important option IMHO)?
Secondly, does it have drive select controls (these became standard later)?
Bang & Olufsen?
Color?

They are gorgeous cars, and I don't think too much trouble.

I'm not sure how similar the '10 v8 engine is to the '04 4.2 v8 I had in my s4 avant. I believe very similar (minor updates, mine was rated 340hp). I personally prefer the 3.0"T", supercharged engine, but one thing I must say is that I'm not getting the fuel mpg's i hoped. Still only getting around 20 all-around, maybe 22-23 on longer trips. That's only 2-3 better than the v8, not 5-6 better as expected.

I drove it again yesterday. Really fun car, and beautiful in white.
It has the sports diff, drive select, and B&O. The only thing it doesn't have is rear-view camera.
Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 432213)
Also, per Galves $30k is a strong trade-in.

Yeah, He's picking up a loaded RS5 and Macan. I'm sure in the wash, the dealer is making out well on the deal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 432219)
Hey equ, You ever think about changing the 6th gear in your old S4??

a little expensive but if I ever have to "go there" (clutch or tranny) I might order this

I did find it insane what kind of RPM the motor is running at highway speeds. I would definitely consider something like this. The MPG is the main hold-up for me.

kognito 10-21-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 432227)
You'd have to change both front and rear, of course.

Since the front diff is part of the transmission, I think it would be easiest to just change the 6th gear.

http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/images/01E%20AWD.jpg

equ 10-21-2014 06:56 PM

Ach! Forgot that there are two "rear" ends... Yeah, agreed. I don't know 6th didn't bother me too much, I didn't think there was any way around it. S4's always rev a good bit. FWIW, the v6 supercharged s4 has slightly *higher* highway rpm than the much less powerful 2.0T a4 in 6th. Still revs below 3,000 at 80mph.

robg 10-22-2014 10:24 AM

Hard not to like the V8 S5. Beautiful car, nice interior, sounds great and has the versatility of AWD. A little underpowered considering the fairly poor fuel economy but I'd probably overlook that. If you don't like it, you could probably unload it in a few years without losing too much.