carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Keepin' it local (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   zcasavant, lemming, spring is here... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=4249)

FC 04-17-2005 07:02 PM

zcasavant, lemming, spring is here...

Time for our detail extravaganza. :line:

I'm available most weekends except except April 30-31.

Anyone else compelled to drive south of Boston is free to come. :)

I need to freplace/solder a section of my copper pipe line first :banghead: , but I hope to get that done tomorrow. Otherwise we wont have a functional water line.

zach 04-19-2005 12:02 AM

Re: zcasavant, lemming, spring is here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbr129
Time for our detail extravaganza. :line:

I'm available most weekends except except April 30-31.

Anyone else compelled to drive south of Boston is free to come. :)

I need to freplace/solder a section of my copper pipe line first :banghead: , but I hope to get that done tomorrow. Otherwise we wont have a functional water line.

This coming weekend is perfect for me I think.

lemming 04-19-2005 07:17 PM

hi guys.

i was just thinking about this but i forgot to check HERE until now.

i just waxed up the autos this past weekend. of course, now they're covered in slimy pollen.

but i'm ready to go whenever. will bring the porter cable polisher, several different polishes and several different waxes. if i could figure out how to post pictures on this site, i'd show you what the subaru equivalent to "imola red" looks like.

FC 04-19-2005 09:28 PM

Cool. It's on for this weekend, then. How is Saturday?

I will confirm once I know I got my water line fixed though. I will do that tomorrow.

:)

zach 04-19-2005 09:30 PM

Quote:

I will confirm once I know I got my water line fixed though. I will do that tomorrow.

Your water broke?

Sunday is much better for me, but I think I could do Saturday in a pinch.

FC 04-19-2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcasavant
Quote:

Your water broke?

Sunday is much better for me, but I think I could do Saturday in a pinch.

Either day works for me. If lemming is fine with Sunday, then Sunday it is.

lemming 04-19-2005 09:43 PM

sunday sounds better for me, i think.

zach 04-19-2005 09:45 PM

Anyone but me have leather seats? I have Spinneybeck leather cleaner/conditioner that I can bring. Other than that, I don't got much. I'm happy to pick up random supplies though...wheel cleaner, etc. Just let me know what we need.

FC 04-19-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

Anyone but me have leather seats? I have Spinneybeck leather cleaner/conditioner that I can bring. Other than that, I don't got much. I'm happy to pick up random supplies though...wheel cleaner, etc. Just let me know what we need.

Well, I have Griots Polish (don't think this is what one uses with a PC orbital) and Wax, a whole shitload of micro fiber towels, decent shampoo, and basic bug & tar remover and wheel cleaner (I rarely use it).

I will probably wash and clay my car on Saturday and touch up the paint as well, so on sunday I'll just polish and wax.

BYOB. The early forecast does call for showers on Sunday, but who the hell knows. I have three bays anyway if it comes to that.

zach 04-19-2005 10:13 PM

I have a whole bunch of tar and crap on my car...I'll clean it on saturday, but I doubt it'll get very clean.

I also have weird black spots on my wheels. Dunno if either of you guys have any idea how to get them off.

FC 04-19-2005 10:34 PM

Quote:

I have a whole bunch of tar and crap on my car...I'll clean it on saturday, but I doubt it'll get very clean.

I also have weird black spots on my wheels. Dunno if either of you guys have any idea how to get them off.

It's probably tar. That is what I get on mine. Bug and tar remover + good 'ol fingernails works for me.

zach 04-19-2005 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's probably tar. That is what I get on mine. Bug and tar remover + good 'ol fingernails works for me.

Ok, let's hope for some sort of non-rain (or snow) on Sunday. I'll bring the wheel cleaner, the Spinneybeck, and since I'm lacking cleaning supplies, the beer.

Let me know if anyone has any requests or demands.

lemming 04-19-2005 11:20 PM

you two do realize it's to rain all weekend, right?

FC 04-20-2005 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming
you two do realize it's to rain all weekend, right?

I just saw that this morning. Perhaps we ought to postpone. If the forecast does not change by Friday. It is going to rain hard on Saturday but they are only predicting showers for Sunday. There is hope. Let's give it a couple of days.

lemming 04-20-2005 07:44 PM

'kay.

if it's to clear up in the PM, then i'm all for waiting it out and doing in the afternoon on Sunday.

FC 04-23-2005 11:49 AM

Well, guys, it seems like am showers. What do we do? Cancel or go for it?

It's your call. I rather not risk having to wait until 2pm to get started since we'd only have a few hours.

Maybe we are better off doing it some other time. Next weekend is bad for me, but the one after that seems good. Anyway, let me know.

lemming 04-23-2005 12:42 PM

Quote:

Well, guys, it seems like am showers. What do we do? Cancel or go for it?

It's your call. I rather not risk having to wait until 2pm to get started since we'd only have a few hours.

Maybe we are better off doing it some other time. Next weekend is bad for me, but the one after that seems good. Anyway, let me know.

let's pre-pone because this weather sucks.

FC 04-23-2005 12:49 PM

Quote:

let's pre-pone because this weather sucks.

Agreed.

Done. It's officially off for tomorrow.

lemming 06-12-2005 10:46 AM

what happened with the brake install?

did it go well?

sorry i missed it --had to work and do some alma mater related stuff.

zach 06-12-2005 05:42 PM

Quote:

did it go well?

For those of you who aren't me, Fernando, or Lemming, I installed new rear calipers, rotors and pads this weekend at Fernando's house.

Only one trip to the dealership was required (for a sensor).

We encountered a problem in trying to remove the driver's side rear rotor but that was nothing a hammer couldn't solve. Incidentally, the E-brake now barely works. We must have screwed something up. Oops.

But the car goes and stops and I am no longer worried about starting a fire due to the heat caused by the seized caliper.

We took some pictures of the old parts. Hopefully, Fernando will post them at some point.

FC 06-12-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

did it go well?

For those of you who aren't me, Fernando, or Lemming, I installed new rear calipers, rotors and pads this weekend at Fernando's house.

We encountered a problem in trying to remove the driver's side rear rotor but that was nothing a hammer couldn't solve. Incidentally, the E-brake now barely works. We must have screwed something up. Oops.

But the car goes and stops and I am no longer worried about starting a fire due to the heat caused by the seized caliper.

We took some pictures of the old parts. Hopefully, Fernando will post them at some point.

I sense this post will barely get any visibility, but still.

Zach, I forgot to mention... You probably want to "bed" your e-brake at least a bit. Cruise at 30mph and pull the ebrake gently as you ease off the gas. The the rotor surface making contact with your e-brake shoes still are coated with that oily crap.

Regardless, we may very well have tweaked your e-brake. Nothing an adjustment can't fix, IMO.

Does the brake pedal still feel spongy? I really hope we tightened all the lines well-enough. It surprises me that the pedal was spongy because the bleeding went picture-perfect.

Anyway, let us know. Hopefully the brakes were just faded due to the crazy bedding.

I just came in from a 4-hour power-washing session and I am exhausted. I'll upload the pics in a couple of hours.

OT: How on earth Nick works on his car on khakis is truly beyond me. :? Zach and I were filthy as can be.

zach 06-12-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando
Quote:

Quote:

did it go well?

I sense this post will barely get any visibility, but still.

Zach, I forgot to mention... You probably want to "bed" your e-brake at least a bit. Cruise at 30mph and pull the ebrake gently as you ease off the gas. The the rotor surface making contact with your e-brake shoes still are coated with that oily crap.

Regardless, we may very well have tweaked your e-brake. Nothing an adjustment can't fix, IMO.

Does the brake pedal still feel spongy? I really hope we tightened all the lines well-enough. It surprises me that the pedal was spongy because the bleeding went picture-perfect.

Anyway, let us know. Hopefully the brakes were just faded due to the crazy bedding.

I just came in from a 4-hour power-washing session and I am exhausted. I'll upload the pics in a couple of hours.

OT: How on earth Nick works on his car on khakis is truly beyond me. :? Zach and I were filthy as can be.

Ah, I'll try the E-brake trick tomorrow. I think the pedal may have firmed up, but I'm not sure. Kristin hasn't driven the car yet so I am anxious to get her opinion.

Yes, we were truly filthy. Good thing neither of us has white leather.

FC 06-12-2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

Ah, I'll try the E-brake trick tomorrow. I think the pedal may have firmed up, but I'm not sure. Kristin hasn't driven the car yet so I am anxious to get her opinion.

Yes, we were truly filthy. Good thing neither of us has white leather.

Maybe we did have to go on a particular order. :eeps: \

Just keep an eye out for any leaks and check the reservoir level over the next couple of weeks.

If there is a leak, you can definitely see it (the connections will look wet). All the connections should be bone-dry within a week or so. They do take a few days to "dry."