carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wheel Jack (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160288)

Alan 02-11-2023 06:17 AM

Wheel Jack

I am having a slight issue with my right shoulder and don’t want to risk lifting a wheel to mount my winter set up so I have been looking for a product where I can put the wheel on a Jack and then have the Jack lift it and I can slide it on to mount it.

I have never used a wheel Jack but if you have do you think this is a good unit ….

https://www.harborfreight.com/1300-l...iABEgIaV_D_BwE

Nick M3 02-11-2023 11:44 AM

Those are more for moving the car around. i don’t know that it will get it high enough to do much for you.

FC 02-11-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 594523)
Those are more for moving the car around. i don’t know that it will get it high enough to do much for you.

Agreed. I think your best bet would be to modify a small motorcycle lift like this one.

Alan 02-11-2023 01:55 PM

Quote:

I was thinking that also until I read the comments that someone was using it to mount his keep wheels. It says it goes 8” in height but I was not sure if that was a measurement of the unit itself or the guest it raises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 594528)
Agreed. I think your best bet would be to modify a small motorcycle lift like this one.

I like this idea, I would have to google it being that link is a foreign website.

FC 02-11-2023 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 594531)
I like this idea, I would have to google it being that link is a foreign website.

I only did a 10 second search for images and picked something like what I had in mind. I'm sure there are many similar options available. One would need to modify it to hold a tire safely, otherwise you are back at square one.

equ 02-12-2023 04:34 AM

Semi-"jacking" this jack thread.. I'm interested in getting a low rolling stool to help me with the 3 swaps coming my way in March. Had some cartilage repair done on my knee, so I'd like to minimize stress on it. Anyone has a favorite one?

Alan 02-12-2023 09:14 AM

I placed the order for the harbor freight one in my original post and see if it does the job … I agree with FC the motorcycle one would need a bit of customizing to get it to do the job so I figured let me try the other one first.

Nick M3 02-12-2023 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 594545)
Semi-"jacking" this jack thread.. I'm interested in getting a low rolling stool to help me with the 3 swaps coming my way in March. Had some cartilage repair done on my knee, so I'd like to minimize stress on it. Anyone has a favorite one?

Everyone says the Vypers are the best. I haven’t been able to stomach the price though.

kognito 02-12-2023 05:54 PM

Quote:

I'm real happy with this But I bought it because had read such bad reviews on so many of these types of rolling chairs, and these guys have a large distributing plant less than 25 miles away from me. (they sell a lot to the BMW plant)

Terri Kennedy 02-13-2023 08:10 PM

Quote:

I have a Kreepstool to go with my Kreepster, although mine looks a bit different as the design has changed a bit over 20+ years.

Nick M3 02-14-2023 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terri Kennedy (Post 594594)
I have a Kreepstool to go with my Kreepster, although mine looks a bit different as the design has changed a bit over 20+ years.

I'm not really sure that they're still in business. :/

Alan 02-16-2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

I received it and it is exactly what you said .. not enough height, it gave about 1” or possibly 2” though that might be stretching it.

Also part of the exposed part was covered in grease … like majorly covered in grease where you touch the thing to move it and you’ve got grease on your hands.

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated, I will keep searching.

FC 02-17-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 594655)
I received it and it is exactly what you said .. not enough height, it gave about 1” or possibly 2” though that might be stretching it.

Also part of the exposed part was covered in grease … like majorly covered in grease where you touch the thing to move it and you’ve got grease on your hands.

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated, I will keep searching.

I'd be more ambitious because I am handy, but as a ghetto solution, I'd consider getting one of those rolling bike lifts I mentioned and on the top surface bolting down wheel chocks at either end facing each other. That would keep the wheel from rolling off.

dan 02-17-2023 09:10 AM

isn't it a bit late to mount winter tires?

Alan 02-19-2023 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 594660)
I'd be more ambitious because I am handy, but as a ghetto solution, I'd consider getting one of those rolling bike lifts I mentioned and on the top surface bolting down wheel chocks at either end facing each other. That would keep the wheel from rolling off.

I think the Wheel chocks would have to be made adjustable being the wheels are difference Diameters front and rear on my car but that is a good idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 594661)
isn't it a bit late to mount winter tires?

It kinda is and isn't ...the extra set has All season tires so it would work well into April plus I really would like to see the car with the silver wheels ... I was actually going to have them powder coated Bronze but couldn't decide if it would look good or not.

Anyway I found a few solutions on my own as well as on the C8 Forum ...

https://www.liftwithtrac.com/products/trac-tire-jack
This looks good but seems a little expensive for a peice of metal with a wheel on it.

People have recommended this and it looks like I might go with it, I like how you can move the wheels around from the storage space in the garage to outside or where ever you want the wheel when doing the mounting. I always found it a pain in the a** to roll the wheels from my garage to the driveway ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16482655764...y09000b2800004

This is another option that others have said worked and the wheels that go under the car would clear it as opposed to the Harbor freight unit

Summit Racing™ Hydraulic Wheel Dollies SUM-918070
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b8dc8c4737.jpg