carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I think there's something wrong with me (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=141537)

3LOU5 11-14-2017 01:02 AM

I think there's something wrong with me

When I made the decision to get rid of my trusty 1988 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab around 1999, I was surprisingly devastated. It was the first brand new vehicle I bought, and the truck was involved in so many of my happy memories (camping, dirtbiking, roadtripping, skirt-chasing, etc.). I remembered the final time I saw her being driven away by some stranger, I got a bit teary-eyed and slightly emotional.

WTF ?? Who does that ??

So now it's almost getting to the end of the line with my beloved E46. She was the second vehicle I bought new (custom order), and had some GREAT roadtrips together. Like my Ranger, we also had some memorable times. In fact, her tires have set foot on all the states of the Lower 48, and have traversed the country a total of 8 times.

But for some reason, I can't offer her up for trade. It feels a little like betrayal. I'd just rather keep the car until I can't drive anymore.

I envy you guys who can just sell or trade your cars at a whim, with no feelings of deep regret or sentimental value.

Just wondering, have any of you still have a vehicle that you felt deeply about, or should I just go ahead and schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist ??

Theo 11-14-2017 08:06 AM

Weirdly enough for me it was not a vehicle I owned but one my parents did. It was an old huge green mercury station wagon. It was one of the first cars I could remember as a child and it was around until I was in my late teens. I remember my parents finally getting rid of it when my sisters where already out of the house and they no longer needed a big wagon. Soooooo many family memories in that car(including rolling around in the very back wrestling with my sisters - child seats - what were those). I must have had that same affliction even then. I got a little choked up watching that high mileage giant piece of Detroit iron drive away.

bren 11-14-2017 08:16 AM

If you like the car so much, why sell? I'm confused.

kognito 11-14-2017 08:37 AM

What shape is it in mechanically?

If it is not worth much as far as trade in value, why not find a very needy person via a church group and donate it to someone who could really benefit by it?

There are good tax advantages to this route, and I'll bet you 100 bucks that if you happen to see the car in the future you will feel better about it than you did when you saw your Ranger

rumatt 11-14-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 516459)
So now it's almost getting to the end of the line with my beloved E46. ... I'd just rather keep the car until I can't drive anymore.

Ahem.

I can relate.

rumatt 11-14-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 516465)
If you like the car so much, why sell? I'm confused.

This sounds like a line Spock would say on star trek. Then Captain Kirk would have explain the idea of sentimental value to him.

The spock would make a face like, "I think I understand" while actually thinking, "you humans are a bunch of idiots".

wdc330i 11-14-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 516471)
This sounds like a line Spock would say on star trek. Then Captain Kirk would have explain the idea of sentimental value to him.

The spock would make a face like, "I think I understand" while actually thinking, "you humans are a bunch of idiots".

:lol:

John V 11-14-2017 10:41 AM

I've never really felt a pang of regret on selling anything. I've certainly looked back and thought that I would like to have kept certain cars, but at the time I sold them I was confident it was the right decision, so why second guess it?

Biggins 11-14-2017 01:12 PM

There's nothing wrong about your thoughts on your E46. I think the best tactic, if possible, is to hold on to the E46 for at least a few months after you get something else.

I kept my E36 for almost a year after getting the FR-S because I didn't want to trade it for "nothing" and thought I might need something more practical. Once I figured out that I no longer had a use for the E36, I sold it. I don't regret selling it, but I still miss it from time-to-time and would rather still have it than the old CR-V.

3LOU5 11-14-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 516464)
Weirdly enough for me it was not a vehicle I owned but one my parents did. It was an old huge green mercury station wagon. It was one of the first cars I could remember as a child and it was around until I was in my late teens. I remember my parents finally getting rid of it when my sisters where already out of the house and they no longer needed a big wagon. Soooooo many family memories in that car(including rolling around in the very back wrestling with my sisters - child seats - what were those). I must have had that same affliction even then. I got a little choked up watching that high mileage giant piece of Detroit iron drive away.

That would be my dad's first car when he immigrated from the Philippines, a big 4-door 1972 Chevrolet Impala sedan for me.