carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tesla Model ≡ Thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=121553)

JST 08-19-2018 08:06 PM

The other thing is that the Model 3 is a lot lighter than the Model S, so even if the sidewall height is the same, the force being transmitted (or absorbed) should be substantially less.

rumatt 08-19-2018 09:10 PM

I do think the Tesla 19's look fantastic on the car. Better than the 20's even.

The situation with the Perf Upgrade Package not fitting any wheels but the stock 20's is pretty ridiculous. It seems the upgraded brake rotors are ~3mm narrower than the originals, so they leave a small lip sticking out. The 20" wheels are widened slightly to avoid hitting it. But just about any other wheel can't be used without a spacer.

People are waiting to find out whether the OEM 19's also have the necessary cutout. If not they also won't fit properly.

rumatt 08-19-2018 10:09 PM

ZBB, have you read all the threads about people rejecting delivery? Due to paint issues, panel gaps, etc? I assume you plan to look yours over well before you sign on the line...

rumatt 08-19-2018 10:27 PM

We need a thread just for EV charging, wiring and electrical work.

Now that I understand the model 3 charging cable is limited to 32 amps, what is the point in having an outlet that can handle more than that?

It seems you are near max with a 30 amp breaker, or just jump to the wall charger and be limited by the car's 48 amps.

ZBB 08-19-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 535570)
We need a thread just for EV charging, wiring and electrical work.

Now that I understand the model 3 charging cable is limited to 32 amps, what is the point in having an outlet that can handle more than that?

It seems you are near max with a 30 amp breaker, or just jump to the wall charger and be limited by the car's 48 amps.

Keep in mind that charging is considered a continuous draw — so you are limited to 80% of the breaker’s rating. What the means is that you need:
- a 60A breaker to get 48A charging with a wall charger
- a 50A breaker to get 40A charging with a wall charger or Gen1 UNC
- A 50A breaker to get 32A charging on a Gen2 UMC using a 14-50 adapter
- A 30A breaker to get 24A charging with a 14-30 adapter
- A 20A breaker to get 16A charging with a 5-20 adapter
- A 15A breaker to get 12A charging with a 5-15 adapter

There’s a great charging FAQ over at TMC. I’ll try to find the link...

Edit - here’s the link. It was last updated a couple years ago, so won’t mention the gen2 Umc... https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...ure-q-a.12615/

rumatt 08-22-2018 06:02 PM

I have two electricians scheduled for next week. I'll let you know what they say.

I think I'm sticking with the non pup, and also switching my color from blue to gray. I had never seen the blue in person, and I stopped by the dealer today and didn't really like it. The grey look way better. My only concern is if there's any chance that pushes me in the 2019 and cost me $3,500. I'm pretty sure that won't happen, but man that would suck.

JST 08-22-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 535778)
I have two electricians scheduled for next week. I'll let you know what they say.

I think I'm sticking with the non pup, and also switching my color from blue to gray. I had never seen the blue in person, and I stopped by the dealer today and didn't really like it. The grey look way better. My only concern is if there's any chance that pushes me in the 2019 and cost me $3,500. I'm pretty sure that won't happen, but man that would suck.

I feel like the blue is very vulnerable to lighting. It can look pretty dull and lifeless in some lighting; it's disappointing because I'd be inclined to order blue if it had a little more zip to it.

rumatt 08-22-2018 06:15 PM

The gray is a little weird (flat?) too. But something about the silver trim with the blue paint and the gray wheels just doesn't work

What did your sales person say regarding delivery timeframe?

zach 08-22-2018 06:40 PM

I REALLY love the Tesla red - I'd even get it on a Model X.

clyde 08-22-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 535782)
The gray is a little weird (flat?) too.

May I suggest a light shade of purple? :eeps: