carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Spit Shined (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone up to date on the latest & greatest wax/sealer? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158564)

FC 05-11-2019 12:41 PM

Anyone up to date on the latest & greatest wax/sealer?

Based on recommendations here, I’ve been using Rejex on the LR4 once a year with great results. Easy to apply and remove and long-lasting. I don’t drive that many miles 5-7k a year, but it is the family truck and winter vehicle.

I’m torn on using it on the M3. I probably should, but it wonder if there is something with a better finish or higher quality than Rejex since I am not after ultimate durability for the M3.

Absent a slam dunk suggestion, I’ll default to Rejex.

Alan 05-11-2019 12:47 PM

I use Griots products (liquid polishes and wax) with a orbital buffer. I find their products do a nice job though they are a little expensive.

FC 05-11-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 548417)
I use Griots products (liquid polishes and wax) with a orbital buffer. I find their products do a nice job though they are a little expensive.

I still use Griots products for polishing and have the liquid was as well (all the way back from my ZHP days). I imagine the wax is still good.:eeps:

I suppose I could use their liquid wax.

Nick M3 05-11-2019 02:17 PM

I use Sonax Polymer Net Shield. Makes rejex look extremely hard to apply. Seems to work about as well.

Alan 05-11-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 548418)
I still use Griots products for polishing and have the liquid was as well (all the way back from my ZHP days). I imagine the wax is still good.:eeps:

I suppose I could use their liquid wax.

You should order some new (and overpriced) wax from them :D

clyde 05-11-2019 05:53 PM

There's been a lot of progress in this area in the past few years and there are a ton of options out there. Rejex was great stuff for its day, but that day has passed. There's nothing wrong with it, but it takes more effort than most other coatings, sealants, etc.

I've become quite fond of Meguiars Fast Finish. I think there's better stuff out there, but it's cheap enough, easy enough, and good enough that I don't feel compelled to spend more money to buy more stuff, strip off what's already on the car and try again. Fast Finish...you spray a little on a microfiber, wipe it on the car for a bit (a little goes a really long way). Wipe it off (but I don't think you have to). No buffing, no waiting for it to dry/haze or anything.

Lots of products that you now spray on the car while it's wet from washing and then rinse off, too, but haven't used any.

Recommend watching some Dallas Paint Correction videos (set playback speed to 1.5x). He's a detailer that started a youtube channel a couple years ago that took off with lots of good comparisons, product tests, explanations of how things work and why, techniques, complaints about the car detailing industry and product manufacturers.

He recently started selling his own products and I'm a little wary of him plugging his own stuff in recent videos, but the earlier stuff is all really good and helpful.

His style can be a little grating, but if you just let it go, it's tolerable.

Over the past 18 months, just about everything I've wanted to try or learn about in the realm of detailing, I've been able to find something in his videos that helped.

FC 05-11-2019 06:14 PM

Good to know. Thanks.

FC 05-11-2019 08:36 PM

I think I may go for this. Meguiar's M2164 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0

It's a giant amount, but apparently the only way to get it and not crazy expensive.

I'm thinking it's probably time to retire my Griots Machine polishes (1, 2 & 3) from 15 years ago. I dunno that shaking them will get them back to snuff.

I can go Griots again, but Meguiar's Ultimate Polish seems to be highly rated.

EDIT: This seems even better

John V 05-12-2019 10:27 AM

I think I'm going ceramic with my next round of detailing stuff. Talked to enough detailers to believe the real world benefits.

FC 05-12-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 548430)
I think I'm going ceramic with my next round of detailing stuff. Talked to enough detailers to believe the real world benefits.

Are you talking about stuff you put in yourself, or the pricey ($1k+) service that is supposed to be permanent?