carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tesla Model ≡ Thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=121553)

ZBB 11-06-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 565987)
Is this the model you went with ?

If so isn’t that one equipped with a sportier suspension ? How is the ride ... I found the middle model really good, not too harsh and held the road well, just wondering if the sportier suspension was as livable.

There’s very little physical difference between the P and LR... They even have the same motors, but Tesla says the P motors passed testing at a higher rating, so the LR is software limited to be a bit slower. The P can be optioned with 20” wheels while the LR optional wheel is 19”. The P also gets red brake calipers, a spoiler on the trunk lid, and metal pedals - 2 of those differences are purely cosmetic. The P also gets a track mode in software...

Theo 11-06-2020 12:57 PM

Instead of KoolAid ZBB and JST can just drink this. =)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...010100126.html

JST 11-06-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 565987)
Is this the model you went with ?

If so isn’t that one equipped with a sportier suspension ? How is the ride ... I found the middle model really good, not too harsh and held the road well, just wondering if the sportier suspension was as livable.

Yeah. I echo everything ZBB said--the Performance is fast as hell and I like the way the 20" wheels look, but it probably makes sense to get one with 19s.

The ride is fine, no harsher than any other mid-line sport model. It's softer than the M3 by a tad, though it's got a little more impact harshness from the giant, heavy wheels (which is why I think 19s would probably be better).

John V 11-06-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 565974)
I've spent enough time doing racer math with this guy to confirm this statement.

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 565980)
When you say you've driven so many Tesla's is this on a track ? How are you able to drive so many different cars ?

I've driven ONE tesla. A buddy of mine (that a lot of the DC region people know) used to cycle through cars every few months. He had a Model S for about a year, which says something. I only ever drove it on the street.

I get to drive a lot of interesting cars when doing autocross instruction for the Evo school. I typically teach two to three a year but did zero in 2020 for obvious reasons :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 565983)
The other thing about the Tesla and commuting is the lack of noise and vibration.

Yep. Oddly, one of the things I kind of like about old-school cars is the noise, vibration, and general "mechanical-ness." Even when commuting. And I don't really commute in traffic much anymore. But even so, man, the Model 3 is really tempting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 565985)
I have one and also love having no car payment!

I got to thinking about this last night and given that money is nearly free right now, if anything now would be the time to buy one. I guess a more accurate statement would be I don't want to spend money on cars these days. And a Model 3 would be a huge net outlay even if I sold off two of our cars.

Alan 11-07-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 566028)
Yeah. I echo everything ZBB said--the Performance is fast as hell and I like the way the 20" wheels look, but it probably makes sense to get one with 19s.

The ride is fine, no harsher than any other mid-line sport model. It's softer than the M3 by a tad, though it's got a little more impact harshness from the giant, heavy wheels (which is why I think 19s would probably be better).

The Tesla website it showing only 20" wheels for the Performance model so I guess there is no choice ... it is a very strange buying process, basically pick the model, colors and decide if you want to send $10k on fully automated driving and you're done ... no options to decide otherwise.

robg 11-07-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 566051)
The Tesla website it showing only 20" wheels for the Performance model so I guess there is no choice ... it is a very strange buying process, basically pick the model, colors and decide if you want to send $10k on fully automated driving and you're done ... no options to decide otherwise.

Yep. Think of it more like buying an iPhone: you choose screen size, memory and color but that’s about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clyde 11-07-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 566068)
Yep. Think of it more like buying an iPhone: you choose screen size, memory and color but that’s about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or think of it like a Honda.

wdc330i 11-07-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

If you buy the Model Y, you have a choice of wheels at the long range level—but you get 21 for the performance.

Also, what’s weird is options are often made available after the fact—for a price...Because they are software based.

wdc330i 11-08-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

You could also wait for the BMW i4, allegedly coming next year:

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/i4

ZBB 11-08-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 566075)
If you buy the Model Y, you have a choice of wheels at the long range level—but you get 21 for the performance.

Also, what’s weird is options are often made available after the fact—for a price...Because they are software based.

Looks like the recent refresh on both the 3 and Y dropped the 19” wheel option on the P models. This was really only a wheel refresh for the Y, with a few more changes on the 3 (dark trim replacing chrome, a new center console, and adopting the Y’s heat pump instead of the AC in the earlier 3s...).

Both the 3 and Y offer a wheel choice for the Long Range...

And yes, it is a bit weird that Tesla offers upgrades via software — but they do so at a premium vs buying it when the car is new. Full Self Driving is one, but the Long Range models also have an “acceleration boost”, which takes half a second off the 0-60 time (down to 3.7 seconds). On my car, I purchased “enhanced autopilot” at order (this is no longer offered...), and can upgrade to Full Self Driving for $7k (this apparently includes an upgrade of the autopilot computer hardware from v2.5 to v3.0). The acceleration boost is $2k (and interestingly is not offered at order...).

My wife’s Y has Full Self Driving — we went ahead and ordered it since a) it was less than $10k when we ordered, b) enhanced autopilot was no longer available, and c) Navigate on Autopilot is really awesome on Interstates and long drives and is not in the base Autopilot that comes with the car and we are likely to use the Y as the road trip car (we’re tentatively planning a trip to BC next summer — even if we need to quarantine for 2 weeks before we can see anyone)...