carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tesla Model ≡ Thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=121553)

ZBB 09-01-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 563417)
Plus, you can get a factory installed hitch (not, cheaply, of course.)

We didn’t have the choice to order a hitch - that was added later and is a $1k option. Tesla sells a retrofit for $1.2k, and you can get aftermarket for ~$350 plus installation. The downside of the aftermarket is that it doesn’t include Tesla’s towing mode software updates...

wdc330i 09-01-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 563419)
We really like our Y (which we’ve had for just over 2 months). I like it better than my 3.

Size-wise, its just about perfect from our perspective. The extra height makes the back seat feel roomier - it has about the same leg room, but sitting up higher (the set is higher off the floor) if feels bigger. It holds a ton of stuff, and the hatch solves the issues of the small trunk opening on the 3.

The interior also feels similar in size to the Model S - just slightly narrower (the S is really wide)...

Thank you, ZBB. She's ordered one. I'll be interested to drive it, if she goes through with the purchase.

wdc330i 09-01-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 563420)
We didn’t have the choice to order a hitch - that was added later and is a $1k option. Tesla sells a retrofit for $1.2k, and you can get aftermarket for ~$350 plus installation. The downside of the aftermarket is that it doesn’t include Tesla’s towing mode software updates...

I had an Execuhitch installed after market on the X5 (with the passive harness) so the Tesla software should be an improvement.

robg 09-01-2020 06:38 PM

Yeah at this point, I think it'd be hard to justify not just getting the Model Y if this is your daily driver/ appliance car. I'm sure it won't drive quite as well as the lower and lighter model 3, but as an every day type car i'm not sure that matters much. The hatch and higher seating height would more than make up for that in every day usability. I still think the S is the best looking of the bunch, but hard to justify for the steep price difference vs the 3/Y. I've seen a bunch on the road now, and the looks dont bother me as much as they first did. The X still looks awkward after all these years whereas you kinda get used to the Y IMO.

John V 09-01-2020 08:18 PM

Given the choice between our CX-5 and any of our cars, I'll take the cars any day. Can't stand the tippy way up high handling. I can't see the logic of the model Y but it certainly will sell well.

ZBB 09-01-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 563424)
Given the choice between our CX-5 and any of our cars, I'll take the cars any day. Can't stand the tippy way up high handling. I can't see the logic of the model Y but it certainly will sell well.

Keep in mind that the battery pack helps keep the center of gravity low. Sure, its higher in the Y than the 3, but I’d bet the COG on the Y is similar to most sedans. You really can’t compare it to other CUVs... The Y handles very well and doesn’t feel tippy at all (although it does lean just a bit more than the 3).

John V 09-02-2020 06:42 AM

That's probably true. I also recognize I'm an outlier in not being enamored with the high seating position of modern appliances.

wdc330i 09-02-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 563427)
That's probably true. I also recognize I'm an outlier in not being enamored with the high seating position of modern appliances.

Sometimes I like it and sometimes it really annoys me. Mostly I like the higher position on straight highway runs when competing with trucks, etc. And I prefer sedan/roadster heights on regular surface streets and certainly in the twisties.

I wouldn’t want to live exclusively with something SUV-height. But I could live with (and do live with) a sedan-height car.

robg 09-03-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 563429)
Sometimes I like it and sometimes it really annoys me. Mostly I like the higher position on straight highway runs when competing with trucks, etc. And I prefer sedan/roadster heights on regular surface streets and certainly in the twisties.

I wouldn’t want to live exclusively with something SUV-height. But I could live with (and do live with) a sedan-height car.

Yep. Having the extra ride height is one of those things I always thought was kinda silly until we got our first SUV (x3). At first I didn't like it, then got used to it, then realized that I really liked it in an everyday driver type vehicle. I kinda hate that I prefer it now, but it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle. Ironically, my wife (who pushed to get an SUV in the first place), now says she wants to go back to a regular car.

Alan 09-20-2020 12:17 PM

Quick question being I saw a black Model 3 with the big wheels on it today and thought that it was a pretty cool looking car, the commute to my office is about 9-10 miles with 4-5 of those miles being highway and the rest being local so I average between the commute and running some business errands (Bank, Lunch, etc) about 25 to 27 miles.

If I were to get a Tesla 3 or the bigger 4 door model (S ?) how often would I have to charge it ?

With the 540i lease coming up in December I need to get a new car and trying something completely different like a Tesla would be cool.

Can I plug the car into a regular outlet to charge being my main problem is the car would have to sit outside.

EDIT: One more questions, how is the AC on hot days at a light ? Does it stay the same blower mode or does it dip down like my current car does when my engine shuts off.