carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Question for soft-top convertible owners (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159683)

wdc330i 01-11-2021 08:23 PM

Question for soft-top convertible owners

Do you see any issue with leaving the top down while parked in the garage for some length of time?

Now that I have the CX-5, I find myself driving the 2 only on nice, top-down days. And that often results in my leaving the top down until the next nice day—-rinse and repeat.

Any “downsides” to extended periods of time stowed with the top lowered?

Josh (PA) 01-11-2021 08:35 PM

I've always read to leave it stored with the top up. It keeps the fabric taut and doesn't allow for creases to form. In the old days of the plastic rear windows it was even more important. I will leave mine down for a day or two, but not more than that.

Can you put it up w the key when you get out? I programmed the 1er with my Carly to do that. Its much easier to get out with the top down, then use the key fob to put the top up.

lip277 01-11-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 568167)
I've always read to leave it stored with the top up. It keeps the fabric taut and doesn't allow for creases to form. In the old days of the plastic rear windows it was even more important. I will leave mine down for a day or two, but not more than that.

Can you put it up w the key when you get out? I programmed the 1er with my Carly to do that. Its much easier to get out with the top down, then use the key fob to put the top up.

Correct - for what I have learned through the years. Granted, my convertible experience is for a 1960's Detroit domestic car - but I think the principle applies as well.

I leave the Mustang's top up - but not fastened down to the windshield. That way the material is not folded up nor really stretched. The top is now 15 years old (the restoration was completed fall of 2006) and the top looks brand new. The material is nice and straight and doesn't have any folds or creases in it.

clyde 01-11-2021 10:21 PM

I might have some concern about this for a car I rarely drove but intended to own for 20+ years.

A modern car in the regular rotation of use that I'm probably not going to own for more than 10 years? I don't think I'd even think about it unless it was a known problem area for that car.

FC 01-11-2021 11:09 PM

I never leave the top down too long for the reasons mentioned, but I’ve left it down for a day or two maybe three here and there and have not thought twice about it. But knowing keeping it down when I know I won’t drive it for several days? No.

John V 01-12-2021 07:10 AM

The stress on the fabric occurs at the pinch points when it's lowered. Leave it up when the car isn't being used.

wdc330i 01-12-2021 08:27 AM

Rare, almost consensus here! Thanks guys. I will be more vigilant (read: less lazy) about putting it back up.

And yes, one can do raise/lower the roof with the fob, although I’ve always wondered about the drain on the battery doing that.

I am a month away from owning it for four years. And I am starting to wonder about battery life. Most of my BMWs have needed a new battery at four years. But I read the newer batteries may go five to six years.

I’m sure it will get driven more as we exit the coldest/rainiest months here.

FC 01-12-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 568174)
I am a month away from owning it for four years. And I am starting to wonder about battery life. Most of my BMWs have needed a new battery at four years. But I read the newer batteries may go five to six years.

I’m sure it will get driven more as we exit the coldest/rainiest months here.

OT: But that reminded me of the fact that I realized only after buy the M3 that it has a Li-Ion battery that costs >$1k. :rolleyes: Not looking forward to that. Hopefully it lasts a lot longer than lead acid.

wdc330i 01-12-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 568175)
OT: But that reminded me of the fact that I realized only after buy the M3 that it has a Li-Ion battery that costs >$1k. :rolleyes: Not looking forward to that. Hopefully it lasts a lot longer than lead acid.

No kidding!

Nick M3 01-12-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 568175)

The better question is whether or not there's anything that prevents you from just installing an AGM battery?