carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Time for a slow 981 search (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159532)

FC 08-10-2020 12:48 PM

Time for a slow 981 search

I've learned to get over the 981 prices. They are what they are. New ones with an H6 are $100k now, so I don't see the few NA 981's getting cheaper all of a sudden. Supply is incredibly small.

Recently I had been debating the merits of getting a new ND. I want the new engine and the early transmissions scare me. Also, the 100 AE MX-5 looks great. But that means spending mid $30k's on a Miata. It would be very nice but probably won't scratch the Boxster itch properly. I think I rather pay extra for a used 981S. A 7yo Boxster is bound to not depreciate as much as a new Miata.

Anyhow, cars like this make me think that if I am patient I should be able to score a good 981S somewhere between 40-50k, but hopefully closer to 40k. I don't think I want to make a move until Spring of next year since I still worry about the macro impact of COVID, but I think I'd be open to the right opportunity sooner if it comes my way.

So please let me know if in your browsing you come across a 981S with the following specs aside from the obvious MT requirement:

- Color: Open to any color, but I rather stay away from black, silver, or gray (notable exception is GT silver+red top/interior). Bonus points for fun colors like yellow, red, bright blue, and even white.
- Interior: Naturally, more leather is best. Would prefer black. Bonus points for Cocoa. No tan. Red only allowed with silver/gray combo above.
- I prefer sports/adaptive seats but I'll take anything.
- I really would like to have heated seats and bonus points for heated steering wheel. Was it even available? I thought it was.
- Obviously bonus points for anything performance oriented (PASM, Sport chrono, sport exhaust, etc.).
- These are my preferred wheels, but again, I can't be picky:
https://www.pcarmarket.com/static/me...60x0-0.5x0.jpg

If for some miracle you guys spot a GTS for anywhere near 50k or even 55k, let me know as well.

I do want a nice car, so while mileage doesn't bother me too much, I want a clean history and good cosmetic condition.

Theo 08-10-2020 01:00 PM

All your requirements were very close to mine when looking. I never came across anything with non boring colors, manual, nice 19 inch wheels for less then 47-49 and I looked for over a year. If your willing to go that high you should be able to find one without to much struggle. I was not willing to spend that much on a soon to be 7-8yo car.

Edit: I honestly love the 981S in white/black. With the body lines it just looks so clean and on point.

FC 08-10-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 562551)
All your requirements were very close to mine when looking. I never came across anything with non boring colors, manual, nice 19 inch wheels for less then 47-49 and I looked for over a year. If your willing to go that high you should be able to find one without to much struggle. I was not willing to spend that much on a soon to be 7-8yo car.

Edit: I honestly love the 981S in white/black. With the body lines it just looks so clean and on point.

I am a fan of the Boxster in white. I had one before. It works on a summer car.

I know what you mean about the price. I'm hoping they come down a little and I am also willing to go up a little. Don't make me doubt myself.

Again, the "new Miata for $36k" thing helped me with the mental justification. My wife seemed totally on board with a new Miata, so she should be ok with a slightly pricier Boxster.

Josh (PA) 08-10-2020 02:21 PM

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1175898

all done. enjoy. EDIT: didn't notice the ad was from earlier this year. Just hunt down the buyer and make him an offer he can't refuse.

FC 08-10-2020 02:37 PM

I saw that one. Other than the interior blue bits (which is fixable) I quite like it, but I read that post as being sold. Last post was many months ago, so I suspect it's gone.

equ 08-10-2020 02:53 PM

This is all a reminder that I don't drive my 981S nearly enough. It matches most/all of what FC is looking for... But, the big but, is I can't think of a single another car around $45k (or heck $60k) that is going to be as satisfying on a number of levels (sporty, 2-seater, comfy on the highway, H6, also the more than decent optioning on mine)... I feel like if I doubt my sale, it would be nearly impossible to find a similar one, so I keep... Strange.

I've also thought of going to a 991.2 after these four nice years with the 981S. But that car is going to sit as well and if I'm lucky I'll pay $30k on top, if not $40k with tax etc. So cannot really justify that either.

Big if... If, Josh points out the right 991.2, if I fall for it, then yes, the 981S will go on the market. I'm ok with somewhere in the mid-40's, not exactly sure where. I do think the GTS premium is not really justified if the S options are in place (also remember the annoying in-cabin sound boom that I'd have to delete if I got the GTS, drove two back in 2016).

Josh (PA) 08-10-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 562556)
I saw that one. Other than the interior blue bits (which is fixable) I quite like it, but I read that post as being sold. Last post was many months ago, so I suspect it's gone.

Wouldn't hurt to reach out to the seller and get the buyer's contact info. I've had varying degrees of good luck with that approach. Especially with your flexible timing, if the new buyer wants to hold it for a few months, all the better, as long as they reach out to you when it is time to sell.

clyde 08-10-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 562552)
Again, the "new Miata for $36k" thing helped me with the mental justification.

I don't know what the anniversary edition Miata is going for, but the new ND I would buy would have run about $27k immediately before COIVD.

Beyond that, I recall once asking on this forum whether the multiples of $ more that a used 987 cost (at the time of the question) vs what the NA Miata I was driving at the time were objectively defensible. I think JST said they were not.

I know that every gen Boxster is way nicer and offers so much more in terms of features, power, grip, (or less, in terms of road noise with the top up), and so on. What I don't know and am in constant search of figuring out is what makes the Boxster better that it's worth that much more money. That doesn't mean it's dumb to buy a Boxster or anything like that. I just can't figure it out.

And for that matter, if the object is buying a fun car, I can't make the argument for a new ND vs an NA or NB (I do think the ND is much better at doing what it does than the NC, though).

I don't know. I struggle with this.

Alan 08-10-2020 04:07 PM

I agree with the wheel choice, I have 2 sets of those for the 991 (silver and shiny black) and a set of Satin black on the Cayman ... great design, easy to clean and gives the car a good look.

On the 992 I do prefer the newer Carrera Classic wheels ...

As far as your hunt, you picked a really cool car ... you really can't go wrong with a Boxster.

How do you feel about silver with a red roof :eeps: I might know a guy :D

BTW isn't the one in that picture similar to WDC's ex ?

FC 08-10-2020 04:11 PM

If it weren't because I owned one already and have had two P-cars of that vintage, I'd be looking at a late 987S. Heck, I probably still should.

But I know I won't be able to help myself from lusting over a Boxster every time I see one. The 2016+ Boxsters hold no appeal to me because I want an NA one and those are too much money.

The intelligent thing to do, of course, is nothing. I have a very nice M3 that I really like AND a toy NC that is fun and costs very little to own and operate.