carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cracked windshield on M3. (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158592)

FC 06-04-2019 01:07 PM

Cracked windshield on M3.

I had read and heard first hand about BMW using softer glass that seems more chip-prone.

Not long after driving the car in the US, I noticed that I too had a few tiny chips. Nothing bad, but more than I should have for the low miles. I considered it bad luck and resolved to leave (a lot of) space behind the car in front of me when in the highway.

As I was detailing the car two weekends ago, I notice a pretty large chip on the glass but it happened to be right over the inspection sticker, so it had gone undetected. Nevertheless, I felt I could probably keep driving it until I was compelled to change it (perhaps from a failed inspection?).

Well, yesterday I noticed I now have a ~15"-long crack - 10" in one direction from the chip and 5" in the other direction. So that is that. I have until the end of August to replace it because that is when my inspection expires.

I never worried about this before, but with all the sensors and things that work off the glass (HUD, rain, etc), I wonder how that gets handled. Will they use OEM? Is there an aftermarket that will work well with all those systems?

A quick search yields a lot of paranoid people insisting on OEM (there are always those), and claiming quotes from dealers of up to $1,800, the need for special kits, etc.

I just changed insurance last fall from Liberty Mutual (had them since college) to Progressive. I called them and I have a $100 deductible but they claim there is no maximum. I recall many years ago Liberty Mutual claiming they had a $500 maximum.

We'll see. In the meantime, I'm also a bit bummed out because I have my souvenir Swiss and Austrian vignettes that I imagine will be nearly impossible to rescue without getting destroyed.

JST 06-04-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 549082)
I had read and heard first hand about BMW using softer glass that seems more chip-prone.

Not long after driving the car in the US, I noticed that I too had a few tiny chips. Nothing bad, but more than I should have for the low miles. I considered it bad luck and resolved to leave (a lot of) space behind the car in front of me when in the highway.

As I was detailing the car two weekends ago, I notice a pretty large chip on the glass but it happened to be right over the inspection sticker, so it had gone undetected. Nevertheless, I felt I could probably keep driving it until I was compelled to change it (perhaps from a failed inspection?).

Well, yesterday I noticed I now have a ~15"-long crack - 10" in one direction from the chip and 5" in the other direction. So that is that. I have until the end of August to replace it because that is when my inspection expires.

I never worried about this before, but with all the sensors and things that work off the glass (HUD, rain, etc), I wonder how that gets handled. Will they use OEM? Is there an aftermarket that will work well with all those systems?

A quick search yields a lot of paranoid people insisting on OEM (there are always those), and claiming quotes from dealers of up to $1,800, the need for special kits, etc.

I just changed insurance last fall from Liberty Mutual (had them since college) to Progressive. I called them and I have a $100 deductible but they claim there is no maximum. I recall many years ago Liberty Mutual claiming they had a $500 maximum.

We'll see. In the meantime, I'm also a bit bummed out because I have my souvenir Swiss and Austrian vignettes that I imagine will be nearly impossible to rescue without getting destroyed.

There was an article somewhere about this, noting that the profusion of sensors made it harder to replace window glass, because the thickness and refraction of the glass was incredibly important.

I've had progressive for years and have replaced at least one windshield through them, and I don't recall there being any upper limit.

FC 06-04-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 549084)
There was an article somewhere about this, noting that the profusion of sensors made it harder to replace window glass, because the thickness and refraction of the glass was incredibly important.

I've had progressive for years and have replaced at least one windshield through them, and I don't recall there being any upper limit.

Good to know.

John V 06-04-2019 03:19 PM

I just had the windshield replaced on the RX-8 (tornado damage - a tree fell on the car). I talked with the glass guy at length. He has been doing auto glass for 20 years. He said that newer BMW, Mercedes and Lexus are the worst to do windshields on. Lots of electrical connections, very expensive glass that is hard to install, trim that is hard to install. Sensors, heating elements, antennas. It took him 30 minutes start to finish to do the RX-8. He said he spent three hours on a BMW the day before.

FC 06-04-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 549086)
I just had the windshield replaced on the RX-8 (tornado damage - a tree fell on the car). I talked with the glass guy at length. He has been doing auto glass for 20 years. He said that newer BMW, Mercedes and Lexus are the worst to do windshields on. Lots of electrical connections, very expensive glass that is hard to install, trim that is hard to install. Sensors, heating elements, antennas. It took him 30 minutes start to finish to do the RX-8. He said he spent three hours on a BMW the day before.

:ack:

I know the new windshield in my Miata was a breeze. Total cost was $180. Zero for me, but that was the charge to the insurance.

John V 06-04-2019 09:19 PM

I've never had insurance that offered free windshield replacement. It seems I am the only person on the planet who does not have this coverage.

Either way the RX-8 only has insurance against theft, and accident / theft / loss while at events or traveling to events so this was always going to be out of pocket. It wasn't expensive. Fixing the roof and hood is going to be another matter.

rumatt 06-04-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 549095)
Fixing the roof and hood is going to be another matter.

Wait, they got damaged too? Arg. How bad is it?

clyde 06-05-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 549097)
Wait, they got damaged too? Arg. How bad is it?

Uh, what he said.

And SM. Does it really need fixing beyond what you can do yourself with a hammer and dolly?

Thankfully, no injury to the Big Wang.

John V 06-05-2019 06:30 AM

The roof is pretty bad. The hood isn't great but not horrible. It makes me sad because the car was pretty clean when I got it.

It may be PDR-able. Just not sure I want to spend the money on that right now. It does not affect performance of the car so it'll probably stay damaged for a while.

FC 06-05-2019 08:10 AM

That sucks!

As for the no deductible thing, I am certain it was a long-standing Massachusetts law that all cars have zero-deductible windshield coverage. MA has always been weird about car insurance. A few years ago there were many changes, which allowed many other car companies to offer insurance. Geico, Progressive, etc, were not available in MA for a long time (Mass told them what to charge so only a few companies did business). Maybe when they relaxed the windshield coverage policies somewhat so that now there is a $100 deductible. I'm guessing, though.

EDIT: Here is a reasonably good explanation.

https://www.carinsurance.com/windshi...achusetts.aspx