carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   RX 8 .. . Problem already !! (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=137204)

Josh (PA) 07-06-2017 03:03 PM

Alan, this does not sound like a good idea for a project car. Just my $0.00002, but sell it quick and get yourself an s2k, miata or similar to turn into a track / auto-x toy.

John V 07-06-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 507699)
That is funny ... I have no idea if it has one but I do know it has leather interior and you probably want cloth because it is more grippy ... at this point I think I'll be paying you to take it.

I think that's probably the best approach, yes. :lol:

Alan 07-06-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 507706)
Alan, this does not sound like a good idea for a project car. Just my $0.00002, but sell it quick and get yourself an s2k, miata or similar to turn into a track / auto-x toy.

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm wasn't really looking for another car ... I might just sell it and give the $$ back to the estate.

BTW I don't know if you remember but I had an S2000, see the link below, I wasn't a fan and sold it pretty much as soon as the title came in.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...ighlight=s2000

clyde 07-06-2017 07:12 PM

I love this thread!

Alan 07-06-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 507728)
I love this thread!

I'm not having a bidding war between you and John who I can pay less $$ to to take this car :D

On a almost serious note I read up a lot on modding this car and this is not a car to mod ... seriously big bucks probably 4 times what it is worth to mod it ($20k and up) and thats only the engine and nothing to do with the rest of the car ... paint, interior, etc.

I spoke to the servicing dealer and my step father did quite a bit of maintenance to it which includes replacing the catalytic converter, spark plugs, coils and more.

Car is getting flat bedded to the dealer this weekend and we will see what the issue is.

clyde 07-06-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 507741)
I'm not having a bidding war between you and John who I can pay less $$ to to take this car :D

On a almost serious note I read up a lot on modding this car and this is not a car to mod ... seriously big bucks probably 4 times what it is worth to mod it ($20k and up) and thats only the engine and nothing to do with the rest of the car ... paint, interior, etc.

I spoke to the servicing dealer and my step father did quite a bit of maintenance to it which includes replacing the catalytic converter, spark plugs, coils and more.

Car is getting flat bedded to the dealer this weekend and we will see what the issue is.

Reminds me... condolences for your loss.

I'm not in a bidding war for the car. You'd need to pay me five figures to take it, so, you know. :D

Coils can go out pretty quick. I blew one (or two?) out in my first autocross in mine when I had barely any time or miles on it (and most of that driving to Koni's shop and back).

Good luck. Will be following along.

kognito 07-07-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 507748)

Yes, this. Sorry for your loss

JST 07-07-2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

I'm not in a bidding war for the car. You'd need to pay me five figures to take it, so, you know. :D

Coils can go out pretty quick. I blew one (or two?) out in my first autocross in mine when I had barely any time or miles on it (and most of that driving to Koni's shop and back).

Good luck. Will be following along.

What makes the coils so...delicate?

John V 07-07-2017 09:44 AM

Crappy coils and mazdas mounting scheme. There are aftermarket solutions that solve the problem.

Alan 07-07-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 507764)
Yes, this. Sorry for your loss

Thanks Guys ... it is a really sad loss ... he was always so good to me, I still can't believe he isn't here ... He also took such great care of my mom. My kids and wife as well as myself are heartbroken :(

He was also a major car guy with some crazy car stories ... he was into autocrossing when he was younger and we shared a love for cars which is why he left the RX8 to me ... we would talk and I told him if you ever get rid of this car let me know first !!