carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Car for my mom (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160475)

wdc330i 03-02-2024 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 603266)
Finally got time to take my mom for some test drives today.

1. Toyota RAV-4 Hybrid AWD XLE
-Interior was very appliance like but I guess not surprising for a Toyota. I thought toyota had improved this but maybe not for the rav-4. Did not check the grand highlander.
-driving wise nothing remarkable either good or bad. Again like an appliance
-driver side had a interior vibration, pretty bad for a brand new car. I would not buy that car for that reason. My mom didnt notice it though.

2. Honda CR-V Sport Hybrid L
-interior design is very nice. Quality does not match the looks, hard plastics and quality, but it is not a luxury car so acceptable.
-Very black interior including headliner which I prefer but some people might think cave like.
-the dash seemed lower then the RAV-4 which my mom and I much preferred. My mom actually went back to Toyota and sat in the RAV-4 to confirm.
-Engine was noisy and noticeable while the engine was cold but disappeared after it warmed up.
-Ride and handling seemed better than rav-4

3. Lexus RX-350
My mom wouldn't even consider because of the spindle grill. Tried to get her to sit inside but got a hard no.

So both of us preferred the CR-V so she is going to move forward. Both dealers were pulling ADM shenanigans with Hoehn( lemming:)) the worse with 2k markup along with stealth markup. I am getting lazy in my old age so just going to check with Costco instead of battling with the salesmen. Been awhile since I have been to a dealer to car shop, just the same as before covid, bad.

Solid choice. And Honda has always been especially terrible for dealer antics. Good luck!

FC 03-02-2024 11:19 PM

Wow, ADM’s still? I thought those were a thing of the past by now.

SARAFIL 03-03-2024 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 603268)

Deals are coming back for many brands, but Hondas and Toyotas are still in very tight supply

Alan 03-03-2024 04:41 PM

Hondas are getting expensive but they make great cars and I really like their new SUV designs … happy for your Mom and you are a great son enjoying the new buying process with her !!

Jeff_DML 03-04-2024 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 603268)

Talked to the local costco dealer and came to an agreeable price. Hopefully close the deal on a cr-v sport L hybrid in red on Wednesday for her.

Jeff_DML 03-06-2024 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 603286)
Talked to the local costco dealer and came to an agreeable price. Hopefully close the deal on a cr-v sport L hybrid in red on Wednesday for her.

heading to the honda dealer in an hour, wish me luck:D

wdc330i 03-06-2024 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 603316)

Good luck!

equ 03-06-2024 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 603316)

Good luck. A friend is trying to buy the same car here in NJ (plus Touring, I guess that gets leather/sunroof etc, I tried to talk them out; no go)... most dealers were msrp. He did find one that took $1.5 or 2k off for a color he didn't like, still hunting (hoping market softens).

Jeff_DML 03-06-2024 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 603318)
Good luck. A friend is trying to buy the same car here in NJ (plus Touring, I guess that gets leather/sunroof etc, I tried to talk them out; no go)... most dealers were msrp. He did find one that took $1.5 or 2k off for a color he didn't like, still hunting (hoping market softens).

Dealers suck, they did the bait and switch. Ended up getting the car but with it leaving a bad dirty taste in my mouth, super lame.

wdc330i 03-06-2024 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 603319)
Dealers suck, they did the bait and switch. Ended up getting the car but with it leaving a bad dirty taste in my mouth, super lame.

Ugh, Yeah. My experience buying two Hondas was really the worst of my car-buying career. But, glad your mom has her wheels.