carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   mudgeons' kids' first cars (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=151594)

dan 02-23-2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 583889)
By the way I was not implying one should or should not, I was just sharing my experience. =)

sure, I didn't take it that way

John V 02-23-2022 01:07 PM

My parents bought my brother and my sister their cars. They were shit cars - my sister had a pretty beat-up Mazda 626 and my brother had a Dodge Caravan. Both vehicles were around ten years old and couldn't have cost more than $1,500-$2,000 when purchased. Their philosophy was my brother needed a car to get to and from football practice and band practices, and my sister needed a car to get to dance, so they received the most basic transportation. The thought of buying a luxury car for the kids would never have even crossed their minds - luxury items were things you earned through hard work, saving, investing, etc.

I wanted something that wasn't a shit car and my parents were cool with that, but I had to buy it. I was also the only kid that had saved money from gifts, work, etc. They helped me out with insurance and some repair costs. In retrospect, I probably never would have learned much about how to work on cars if I hadn't bought the car I did (it was frequently broken and challenging to keep running :lol:)

I'm not a parent but it seems logical to buy new drivers a car that is 1) safe 2) reliable and 3) inexpensive and easy to repair. In general, newer means safer and more reliable. :dunno:

wdc330i 02-23-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 583891)
My parents bought my brother and my sister their cars. They were shit cars - my sister had a pretty beat-up Mazda 626 and my brother had a Dodge Caravan. Both vehicles were around ten years old and couldn't have cost more than $1,500-$2,000 when purchased. Their philosophy was my brother needed a car to get to and from football practice and band practices, and my sister needed a car to get to dance, so they received the most basic transportation. The thought of buying a luxury car for the kids would never have even crossed their minds - luxury items were things you earned through hard work, saving, investing, etc.

I wanted something that wasn't a shit car and my parents were cool with that, but I had to buy it. I was also the only kid that had saved money from gifts, work, etc. They helped me out with insurance and some repair costs. In retrospect, I probably never would have learned much about how to work on cars if I hadn't bought the car I did (it was frequently broken and challenging to keep running :lol:)

I'm not a parent but it seems logical to buy new drivers a car that is 1) safe 2) reliable and 3) inexpensive and easy to repair. In general, newer means safer and more reliable. :dunno:

Yes. With teen drivers, safety/reliability are paramount with me.

clyde 02-23-2022 03:29 PM

I don't feel a compelling need at this time to express a view in yet another how-to-parent thread. ;)

3LOU5 02-23-2022 04:10 PM

Here's my opinion about parents buying their kids brand new cars, if it actually matters:

If a child is a straight A honor student, who truly knows that working hard academically will get them far in Life, I don't see a problem. I see it as more of a reward that the child truly deserves.

However, if a kid is average, doesn't know good work ethic from a loaf of bread, and basically not very motivated, I *believe* buying a brand new car is not a good idea. I say, let the child get motivated to purchase a safe, reliable car like a Honda or Toyota from a friend or relative that you know took care of that car. I just think that having them work for something teaches them what it takes to succeed: hard work, organization skills, prioritizing, etc. It also gives them a sense of pride and self-worth. Perhaps letting them know that you will pay for HALF of it, so that the child won't get too discouraged, is a method that will certainly help, because having them pay for the WHOLE thing can be overwhelming, leading to unfavorable results.

dan 04-12-2022 07:45 PM

I now have 2 fully licensed drivers :(

dan 04-12-2022 08:05 PM

Also, I had no idea watching my second child drive away by himself for the first time would make me such a wreck. This shit is hard.

SCA 04-12-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 585762)

Yikes! Best wishes…

wdc330i 04-12-2022 08:30 PM

Quote:

:ack:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 585764)
Also, I had no idea watching my second child drive away by himself for the first time would make me such a wreck. This shit is hard.

:(

clyde 04-12-2022 11:31 PM

Quote:

Congrats!
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 585764)

From the time I was about 12 until my parents sold the house when I was 18, I would come home at whatever hour, I'd walk in, take a couple steps, look up the stairs, and see my dad walking back to the bedroom. He'd wake up in the middle of the night, I wouldn't be home, and he'd just sit there waiting for me to get home.

When I turned 16 and got my license, I often respected the restricted hours we had for the first year and if I wasn't going to be home soon after midnight, I'd stay out until 5:00 am. My dad figured out that I wasn't going to come home during those hours and adjusted, but still.

I didn't get it at the time. I didn't get it until I had kid that wasn't home 20 minutes before restricted hours started. Now, when I get a bad thought in my head, I'll text them something that I expect to elicit a prompt response without ticking them off just so I know whatever they're doing, wherever they are, they're okay.

You'll be fine.