carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Jeep Unlimited (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=153545)

Alan 09-01-2018 02:13 PM

Jeep Unlimited

Does anyone know anything about these new Jeep unlimited’s ?

I’m talking as far as a car for my daughter who is currently in College at Lakeland Florida.

The plan is to do a 3 yr lease, they want $325 a month with $3k upfront for taxes, 1st payment, security and fee’s, the msrp is a drop over $40k so I think this is a pretty good deal. It will probably be driven around 2,000 miles a yr and will sit in a parking lot some where at the school for it’s whole life

I think these cars are cool for around town driving but am not a fan though I doubt I’ll ever see it so it doesn’t matter what I think.

The plan is to let my daughter test drive it and if she likes i’ll go through with it but I am hoping she isn’t into it.

Anyway is the new model better on the highway ? I’d prefer a Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata but this is what she wants.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...06e6c60679.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9fdf8ce0c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

equ 09-01-2018 06:18 PM

My JGC wanted to roll at the first opportunity, I can't imagine this one is too different. Other than that, not much could go wrong.

ff 09-01-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 536503)
My JGC wanted to roll at the first opportunity, I can't imagine this one is too different. Other than that, not much could go wrong.

I've driven Wranglers twice in my life, and the sensation that the thing wanted to roll was front and center each time. I can't remember ever seeing one on the road upside down, though, so maybe it's nothing more than that, a sensation.

JST 09-01-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 536504)
I've driven Wranglers twice in my life, and the sensation that the thing wanted to roll was front and center each time. I can't remember ever seeing one on the road upside down, though, so maybe it's nothing more than that, a sensation.

Coincidentally from my FB feed yesterday.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...37d37c4636.jpg

Jeff_DML 09-01-2018 08:52 PM

Isn’t that the previous generation? Leftovers?

Josh (PA) 09-01-2018 09:17 PM

A coworker got a new one and said it has much better road manners than the old ones. Get a soft top. She should enjoy it.

Alan 09-02-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 536507)
Isn’t that the previous generation? Leftovers?

I have no idea :dunno: i’m going to ask the salesman ...

Alan 09-02-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 536508)
A coworker got a new one and said it has much better road manners than the old ones. Get a soft top. She should enjoy it.

I don’t think I can get her a soft top since it’s pretty much going to sit around a college campus and she would have no place to store the hardtop.

John V 09-02-2018 02:53 PM

I never remotely understood the point of these unless off-road driving is the plan.

ff 09-02-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 536520)
I never remotely understood the point of these unless off-road driving is the plan.

In Tampa, they're now pretty much as common as pickup trucks with big lift kits. They're everywhere. AF's daughter will fit right in :)

equ 09-02-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 536520)

Many of us "enjoy" our sports or sporty cars on the streets. Would they be better at a track? Yeah, but if it appeals to folks, which it does in a big way (all that imagery of conquering waterfalls and boulder-y mountains), so be it.

I need a good awd/4x4 system that I can trust on snowy highways (40-50mph on packed) and deep unplowed snow in parking lots/country lanes. That's where clearance helps as well. The climate is different from DC to NYC and then again to NYC to Boston and then again to the north... So while I questioned FC's LR4 back in the day, I see it as a solid choice for year-round Boston to Montreal capability.

After many winters of minor damage with low clearance, I had several bumpers/valences/whatevers in a row that were damaged by hard ice piles.

I've considered a Wrangler. Once I sat in one (must have been a 2018 model), I passed.

Alan 09-02-2018 07:33 PM

I’m not into these cars but the kids seems to think they’re cool ... I want to ship her A4 down to her but going back and forth 4 times a year I could just lease her one of these and not have to deal with it ... the lease deals on these jeeps are pretty amazing.

John V 09-03-2018 07:27 AM

Wait. She already has an A4?

Alan 09-03-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 536541)
Wait. She already has an A4?

Yeah, I think I posted it here somewhere, it’s a 2018 ... beautiful car !!

Alan 09-03-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 536505)
Coincidentally from my FB feed yesterday.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...37d37c4636.jpg

This picture keeps going through my mind, are these things really prone to rolling ? I’ve got to research this a little more.

John V 09-03-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536548)
Yeah, I think I posted it here somewhere, it’s a 2018 ... beautiful car !!

And she needs a second car...why?

Alan 09-03-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 536552)
And she needs a second car...why?

It’s not that she needs a second car it’s that I want her to have a car at school to drive to the airport, do her errrands, etc. I am very uncomfortable with her having to take an Uber to get around being she is an 18 year old girl and I really don’t like her asking a friend hence a guy for a ride plus the airports are a 1 hour drive which REALLY makes me nervous if she were to take an Uber.

The original plan was to ship her car down to school, then when checking into the costs I realized I could just get her a car for school and it would be pretty close to the same dollars plus reality setting in I also realized that having a New Audi sitting in Florida on campus is not really a great idea ...

This is my whole being a protective Dad thing kicking in ... I’ve just read too many stories about women taking Uber’s and now the driver stalks them being the driver has their contact information and knows where they live, their phone number, etc.

wdc330i 09-03-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536556)
It’s not that she needs a second car it’s that I want her to have a car at school to drive to the airport, do her errrands, etc. I am very uncomfortable with her having to take an Uber to get around being she is an 18 year old girl and I really don’t like her asking a friend hence a guy for a ride plus the airports are a 1 hour drive which REALLY makes me nervous if she were to take an Uber.

The original plan was to ship her car down to school, then when checking into the costs I realized I could just get her a car for school and it would be pretty close to the same dollars plus reality setting in I also realized that having a New Audi sitting in Florida on campus is not really a great idea ...

This is my whole being a protective Dad thing kicking in ... I’ve just read too many stories about women taking Uber’s and now the driver stalks them being the driver has their contact information and knows where they live, their phone number, etc.

Does the Amtrak car train from NYC to Florida still exist?

Edit: Runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, wherever that is. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

Alan 09-03-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 536557)

Edit: Runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, wherever that is. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

I did the auto train when I first met my wife and we took my dads new at the time NSX to his house in Florida ... it was the run you suggested above ... Virginia to Florida

Anyway i’m going to call the local dealers tomorrow and see about getting her a nice sedan, from what I read on the internet I’m not really comfortable with the Jeep for highway driving where the speed limit is 70mph.

I did rent a Hyundai Sonata in Florida last year and really liked it.

John V 09-03-2018 04:57 PM

I have a Hyundai sonata rental right now and maybe it's because it's the base stripper version but it is horrible in every way.

JST 09-03-2018 05:33 PM

Yeah I’d avoid sonatas. Have not liked the way they drive.

I rented a new Jetta in Quebec and it was...fine. Nice enough. Not sporty at all but decent in most ways. Clearly built to a price but still reasonably good to drive and with a nice infotainment setup.

kognito 09-03-2018 06:50 PM

Sounds like you are already moving away from the Jeep, but I'll still add my .02

I think anyone who leases a Wrangler is throwing away good money. But you need to look deep into the numbers. If you look at what 2 or 3 year old Wranglers sell for, a new Wrangler should lease for about 70 bucks a month. But they don't. In real life, they just don't depreciate very much.

Jeep dealers must love leasing Wranglers, kind of like printing money

Josh (PA) 09-03-2018 07:10 PM

Drive the a4 down for parents weekend and fly back home

Jeff_DML 09-03-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 536573)

:+1

Seems crazy to me to get another car that is basically going to sit

equ 09-03-2018 09:45 PM

I'm with Jeff and Josh... Two cars is one too many for a college student. She can borrow one in LI when she is on break.

JST 09-03-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 536577)
I'm with Jeff and Josh... Two cars is one too many for a college student. She can borrow one in LI when she is on break.

The R8!

Nick M3 09-03-2018 10:16 PM

Do you really think that she’s going to *not* take Uber/Lyft?

Jeff_DML 09-03-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536579)

Yeah I watched several groups of SDSU students ubering to/from in n out:eeps:

clyde 09-04-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 536557)

We took the Auto Train the first time we went to Disney World in 2007. It runs overnight each way. I'm glad we did it because it was fun to do. Once. With two small children. We did it, so we never have to do it again.

It's also super spendy, especially if you get sleeper accommodations.

ff 09-04-2018 07:33 AM

Florida Southern has a shuttle service available for smaller trips around campus. One option is to let things coast for a while and see if your daughter ever finds herself in a position where a car is necessary. If so, pull the trigger then.

How often do you envision her flying? I assume that she'd go to either Tampa or Orlando? Neither is particularly close to FSC (in a convenient sort of way), but there are always limo and shuttle services that can make that link.

Alan 09-04-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 536585)
Florida Southern has a shuttle service available for smaller trips around campus. One option is to let things coast for a while and see if your daughter ever finds herself in a position where a car is necessary. If so, pull the trigger then.

How often do you envision her flying? I assume that she'd go to either Tampa or Orlando? Neither is particularly close to FSC (in a convenient sort of way), but there are always limo and shuttle services that can make that link.

Just curious, did you go to FSC ? Do you live close to that area and have a car service you trust ? I did tell her to check into the shuttles, between break, thanksgiving and a family event this semester so far she is booked on 3 round trip flights with a 4th happening at Xmas so there are quite a few trips back and forth to the airport.

Alan 09-04-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 536573)

I really don’t want to take a 20 hour drive I didn’t mind it too much when I was much younger but nowadays I kinda limit my trips driving to 2-3 hours

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536579)

I don’t mind Uber in a group setting, just not comfortable when alone.

ff 09-04-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536588)
Just curious, did you go to FSC ? Do you live close to that area and have a car service you trust ? I did tell her to check into the shuttles, between break, thanksgiving and a family event this semester so far she is booked on 3 round trip flights with a 4th happening at Xmas so there are quite a few trips back and forth to the airport.

I didn't go to school at FSC, but it's one of the schools we looked at with my daughter. It's reasonably close to where we live (~ 28 miles away).

I've used Super Shuttle in the past to get to the Tampa airport. You share the ride with as many other people as they can fit in the van, comfortably. It isn't necessarily a pleasant ride, but it works as long as your schedule meshes nicely with theirs.

I see that SuperShuttle does service the Lakeland area, and they also have options with "EXECUCAR" where you can ride in a car or SUV. More expensive, but maybe a better option?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536589)
I don’t mind Uber in a group setting, just not comfortable when alone.

I know how you feel. I've had several discussions with my daughter about being smart out there in the real world. Being observant of the things around her, and avoiding situations that put her at risk (like walking home from marching band alone, after dark, no matter how safe she feels doing so). I've had plenty of good experiences with uber, but all it would take is one bad apple...

Nick M3 09-04-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536588)

Do you really think that there is a safer option than one in which the identity of the driver is verified, and the location is continuously tracked? Notwithstanding a number of bad apples, the fact is that Lyft and uber and equivalent are very safe.

I would be a lot more concerned about my kid driving drunk at college than I would about her getting assaulted by a driver.

JST 09-04-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536598)
Do you really think that there is a safer option than one in which the identity of the driver is verified, and the location is continuously tracked? Notwithstanding a number of bad apples, the fact is that Lyft and uber and equivalent are very safe.

I would be a lot more concerned about my kid driving drunk at college than I would about her getting assaulted by a driver.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'd also encourage uber/lyft over walking home alone.

Josh (PA) 09-04-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

I 100% agree with this. We put the uber app linked our our CC on both our girls phones. I'd much rather get a bill for her getting home safely i/o her deciding it is cheaper or easier to catch a ride with her drunk friend.

I am also not on-board with my college kids having cars on campus. There's really no need for one. My GF had a car when I was in school and all we ever used it for was diner runs at 3am.

Alan 09-04-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

The safer option is you drive yourself in your own car ... I have a friend (ex friend now) who is currently an uber driver, not only was he sent to Jail because he was stalking his ex girlfriend, he also told a mutual friend that he goes to strip clubs when they close so when the dancers need an uber he can pick them up ... this same guy was fined by NY City almost $1 million for scamming people stating he could get them acting work if you just allowed him to take pictures and set you up a portfolio.

BTW I do use Uber so I'm not against it at all, I am just trying to come up with a solution to one of my concerns.

Quote:

Of course that is a huge concern and it is just one of many that as a parent you sit home and worry about. I hope I've taught my kids well enough that they won't ever put themselves in that position.

Nick M3 09-04-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 536625)
The safer option is you drive yourself in your own car ... I have a friend (ex friend now) who is currently an uber driver, not only was he sent to Jail because he was stalking his ex girlfriend, he also told a mutual friend that he goes to strip clubs when they close so when the dancers need an uber he can pick them up ... this same guy was fined by NY City almost $1 million for scamming people stating he could get them acting work if you just allowed him to take pictures and set you up a portfolio.

BTW I do use Uber so I'm not against it at all, I am just trying to come up with a solution to one of my concerns.

Of course that is a huge concern and it is just one of many that as a parent you sit home and worry about. I hope I've taught my kids well enough that they won't ever put themselves in that position.

I really doubt that an 18-year old driving him/herself is safer than taking a Lyft/uber.

And your daughter is 18. She's going to make some really, really bad decisions. I know I did, and I'm pretty sure that you did too. Between teenage judgement, peer pressure, Florida (so I pretty much assume it's a party school - and my Dad graduated from FSU and my grandfather was a professor there, so don't think that I have something against Florida schools), I can pretty much guarantee that she's going to get in to stupid shit.

rumatt 09-04-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536631)
I really doubt that an 18-year old driving him/herself is safer than taking a Lyft/uber.

This thread has pretty much derailed from the original topic...

But yes I agree with nick. Of all the things to worry about your kid in college, Uber drivers are pretty low on the list.

Boyfriends driving the car drink is much higher.

ff 09-04-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536631)

Just like anything else in life, the response to that is "it depends". Remember, this is Florida we're talking about... :)