carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   BMW 330 xdrive loaner review (G20) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158674)

Nick M3 08-06-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 551049)
The steering issue that bugged me on F30s was a sense of looseness or vagueness on-center when travelling straight at highway speeds. Last f30 I drove as a 2017 330 wagon a few years ago though. My RWD F10 had this characteristic as well.

Guess I'm in the minority with my negative reaction to the styling. In darker colors, its tolerable.

Speaking of manual 340s, there was a letter in the latest Roundel from a guy who wrote in to say that he bought 2 of the last manual 340s from his dealer (one for him and one for his wife) cause he liked it so much!

I had kind of the opposite reaction. It was too quick on center, which made the car wander.

But as a general matter, I think modern steering racks are way too quick period.

Josh (PA) 08-06-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 551052)
I had kind of the opposite reaction. It was too quick on center, which made the car wander.

But as a general matter, I think modern steering racks are way too quick period.

That was my experience with recent BMW racks. Their combination of very light and very quick off center made them hard to keep on line and easy to over correct.

Nick M3 08-06-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 551059)
That was my experience with recent BMW racks. Their combination of very light and very quick off center made them hard to keep on line and easy to over correct.

It’s a very Toyota experience.

robg 08-06-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 551052)

Maybe that's what it is then. But what made it worse was the feeling of noticeably less resistance for the first few degrees off-center. The G20 and (previous hydraulic steering BMWs i've drive) have a more consistent, tighter feeling off center. My X3 also shares that trait which is strange considering it's an eps system from the same era as the f30.

Alan 08-30-2019 03:20 PM

Just had the new 330ix as a loaner and walked away really impressed. The new digital dashboard is beautiful, the engine is really quick and it felt very sporty. Also surprising when in sport mode the fake engine sound is actually pretty cool.

They also gave the car features that were never available on a 3er, you can now get the brake hold feature and finally they offer sync for the hvac system.

Also agree on the steering, it is much improved though the on center feel is heavy, there is no doubt you are in dead center it kinda just sits there.

Overall they took this car up a level or two though with that said it was nice to get into my comfy 540 with the Napa leather and Multi contour massage seats :D

I can live with the 3er for sure but I still prefer the 5.

wdc330i 08-31-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 551535)
Just had the new 330ix as a loaner and walked away really impressed. The new digital dashboard is beautiful, the engine is really quick and it felt very sporty. Also surprising when in sport mode the fake engine sound is actually pretty cool.

They also gave the car features that were never available on a 3er, you can now get the brake hold feature and finally they offer sync for the hvac system.

Also agree on the steering, it is much improved though the on center feel is heavy, there is no doubt you are in dead center it kinda just sits there.

Overall they took this car up a level or two though with that said it was nice to get into my comfy 540 with the Napa leather and Multi contour massage seats :D

I can live with the 3er for sure but I still prefer the 5.

Good to know. Thanks, AF.

JST 08-31-2019 08:27 AM

Oh I’d wondered if there was a setting somewhere on the F80 that did sync. Good to know I’m not crazy for not being able to find it!

robg 08-31-2019 10:53 AM

Good point about the sync and auto hold features. It’s good to see that bmw seemed to really consider all the details (big and small) with this redesign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdc330i 08-31-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 551549)
Good point about the sync and auto hold features. It’s good to see that bmw seemed to really consider all the details (big and small) with this redesign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't even get HUD on the 2s...

Alan 08-31-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 551550)
Can't even get HUD on the 2s...

I didn’t get this on my 5er because I didn’t really think it is that great of a feature but after I ordered the car I didn’t realize the regular digital dash(not the optional one) has no digital read out for the speed and I thought I made a mistake noting getting it.

Luckily when I got the car I found when you put the car into sport mode the dash changed and gives you a digital readout so I have the individual setting with a mix of comfort and sport settings for when I want the digital readout.

Bmw really has done a great job with there cars lately.