carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Quick getting 2 new tires question (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159502)

Alan 07-16-2020 12:34 PM

Quick getting 2 new tires question

I'm replacing 2 tires on the 340 which is Xdrive, should the new tires go on the front or the rear ?

I always go to the dealer for tires and for some dumb reason when they replaced the other 2 tires they put them on the same side :mad2:. You would think for the premium they charge they would at least make sure the tires with the same tread go in the front or rear.

Nick M3 07-16-2020 12:35 PM

The rule of thumb is that the best tires go in the rear.

FC 07-16-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 561593)

Agreed.

dan 07-16-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 561591)
I always go to the dealer for tires and for some dumb reason when they replaced the other 2 tires they put them on the same side :mad2:. You would think for the premium they charge they would at least make sure the tires with the same tread go in the front or rear.

I'm really not understanding this whole statement.

They changed a front and a rear? The front and rear have different treads?

kognito 07-16-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 561593)

Sometimes this makes no sense. I had to replace two tires on my old Focus a few months ago. Dude insisted the new ones had to go on the rear.

Focus was FWD, Focus had rear drum brakes, front disc's. I wanted the new tread up front. Dude said he can't.

They put the new ones on the rear, I drove away right to Firestone (for alignment) told Firestone to rotate the tires and then align.

kognito 07-16-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 561601)

And is this Ok with Xdrive? Audi's Quattro this is a no-no

Alan 07-16-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 561601)

All the tires are the same exact brand, size etc.

I didn't want to bore anyone with the details but here is what has happened with this car, throughout it's 39k miles each tire gets replaced one at a time because either a tire has a bubble, hit a curb, has a leak that is not repairable etc. or should I say because the kid was 19 when I got him the car 3 yrs ago.

So fast forward to 2020 and the Driver's side had one tire replaced then shortly after had the other replaced. So basically 2 new tires on the driver's side which I didn't realize because I would have told the dealer put the newer ones on one axle and the older ones on the other axel.

The other day my son told me the car isn't good in the rain and he thinks it's the tires ... I checked the tires and the 2 passenger tires are at or below the wear bars.

This time around I decided I will go to the local shop instead of the dealer who btw are BMW owners and fanatics and will have them replace the 2 passenger side tires but have them switch it around so the brand new tires will go on the rear (thanks Nick)

ff 07-16-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 561608)
Sometimes this makes no sense. I had to replace two tires on my old Focus a few months ago. Dude insisted the new ones had to go on the rear.

Focus was FWD, Focus had rear drum brakes, front disc's. I wanted the new tread up front. Dude said he can't.

That didn't make sense to me, but this link explains that it has to do with safety in regards to hydroplaning.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...20the%20front.

Nick M3 07-16-2020 04:26 PM

Basically, the rule of thumb is that cars should understeer. Better tires up front mean that the car is more likely to have grip induced oversteer. Since your average idiot driver isn't going to know what to do with that, they solve for that.

The Lemons Volvo that I race has 255 tires up front and 225s in the rear. The oversteer in braking and at corner entry is *hilarious*. But, you know, even though it's fun and easy to drive for us, your average driver would wreck it in short order.

Pinecone 07-28-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 561620)
Basically, the rule of thumb is that cars should understeer. Better tires up front mean that the car is more likely to have grip induced oversteer. Since your average idiot driver isn't going to know what to do with that, they solve for that.

The Lemons Volvo that I race has 255 tires up front and 225s in the rear. The oversteer in braking and at corner entry is *hilarious*. But, you know, even though it's fun and easy to drive for us, your average driver would wreck it in short order.

I bet that car is great fun trail braking into a downhill turn. :D