carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My BMW loaner (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=31374)

Sharp11 02-01-2010 11:33 PM

My BMW loaner

I'm driving an X3 xdrive 3.0si for a couple of days while my dealer tries, for a second time, to properly diagnose and cure what they thought was a screeching alternator-tensioning belt. They also offered to detail my car after the hacks swirl-marked the crap out of it last time it was in.

So for a couple of days I've got an X3 with 9k on the clock.

The interior is an amalgamation of BMW parts, same gauges as my old Z4, but center stack climate-control, headlight switch and parking brake/ignition key all from the E46.

Seats are comfortable but insubstantial, at least compared to my ZHP's.

The X3 is quiet and the engine is a gem - silky smooth and revs freely, almost Honda-like, but the transmission is kinda odd - seems to hold onto lower gears way too long.

The ride is very bouncy and the steering very light. Nice steering wheel for an SUV, though. Brakes are strong, body very rigid.

Overall, it feels fairly spartan, more so than I remembered when I last drove one a couple of years ago.

I miss my car already ;)

rumatt 02-02-2010 12:48 AM

I drove an X3 once and definitely wasn't impressed.

Terri Kennedy 02-02-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharp11 (Post 256208)
I'm driving an X3 xdrive 3.0si for a couple of days while my dealer tries, for a second time, to properly diagnose and cure what they thought was a screeching alternator-tensioning belt.

Welcome to the club... :irate:
Quote:

The X3 is quiet and the engine is a gem - silky smooth and revs freely, almost Honda-like, but the transmission is kinda odd - seems to hold onto lower gears way too long.
It may have picked up bad habits from its previous user, if it is anything like the auto in the E46. Disconnecting the battery for a bit and re-connecting it might prove interesting.

equ 02-02-2010 07:38 AM

The n52 is a wonderful engine...

bren 02-02-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 256217)
It may have picked up bad habits from its previous user....

The transmission on the X3 is a known trouble spot. It's just terrible.

Optimus Prime 02-02-2010 09:48 AM

I really like our X3. They slushbox is my least favorite, but either it has adapted to me or I've adapted to it. The engine is fantastic, and the rest is good compared to other SUV's in it's class.

I think that's the rub, compare it to similarly sized AWD wagons and SUV's and it really shines, compare it to a car and it has flaws. The usefulness is worth the trade off in my book. The X3 seems nearly twice as useful in daily life than the 330i. If you're never hauling people and dogs, or dogs plus a bunch of presents, or bulky items, then the usefulness may not be worth the driving penalty.

If they bring out diesel version I may be very tempted.