carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   718, Corvette, E46 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=154062)

John V 09-16-2018 08:29 AM

718, Corvette, E46

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of us were out in Lincoln last week for the SCCA Solo Nationals. Most of you have never been and will never go. It's a shame, because it's a week-long party where you will see some of the most insane vehicular hardware which only exists in that one place at that one time.

I got to drive my buddy's C7 Grand Sport on the road a bit and it's a pretty phenomenal car. I decided a few years ago that I'm just not a "Corvette guy" and I think that's still true, but the car has come a long way. The interior materials, fitment, and control feel is excellent... maybe not to Porsche levels, but miles beyond the C6. The seats are excellent. Comfortable, supportive. The gauges look high quality. The ride is great. The engine ... is a monster, but is so refined compared to the C6. It's still low, it's still too wide and too heavy and it's still numb at the helm, but what a great car.

I also got to check out a 718 Cayman up close and see it go around the course. I'd kind of peered inside the interior of a 718 Boxster at the dealer when mine was getting serviced last year, and it's still impressive. Nothing today beats the view out of a Cayman or Boxster (with the top down). Unfortunately, this car is just ruined by its engine. It sounds absolutely horrible from the outside, and the owner tells me it's even worse from the inside. He says the fuel economy is no better than his old 6-cylinder car in normal driving, either, so what's the point? Motor Trend on-Demand did a head to head comparison of the Cayman GTS and the Audi TT RS and had the same comments... great car, abysmal engine. Really sad.

As for the E46... mine is for sale. Actually, it looks like it's sold, as I took a $5k deposit on it with the final sale to come after the buyer drives it in a couple weeks at an autocross. I've had a lot of fun building this car over the years and winning in it (I won my class at the National Championships in 2017 and my co-driver won this year). To really make progress on the RX-8, though, I need to not have another car to distract me, so the BMW has got to go. Bought in 2011, I've owned this car longer than any other car in my life and it's going to be tough to see it go but time marches on...

wdc330i 09-16-2018 09:46 AM

I'm not crying for the 718. But then, I never had a Boxster from the glory days. Blissful ignorance.

rumatt 09-16-2018 10:27 AM

Congrats on the sale! What a great journey with that car. You'll never forget it.

Is the sale "as is and good luck", or did he purchase a JV parts garage and extended warranty?

Alan 09-16-2018 11:35 AM

Wow 2011 ...that’s a really long time ... was that car ever a daily driver or was it a project track car from the beginning ?

John V 09-16-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 537436)
Wow 2011 ...that’s a really long time ... was that car ever a daily driver or was it a project track car from the beginning ?

It's never been street registered. 8,532 miles from new, all in competition...or on a Dyno :lol:
Edit: I'm providing a year of support, but parts, repairs, etc is on the buyer (lol) No warranty. :lol:

JST 09-16-2018 01:10 PM

“On the butter” should be a phrase.

rumatt 09-16-2018 01:20 PM

It is now. :lol:

equ 09-16-2018 04:39 PM

That's such a bummer about the 718's. I haven't driven one, but every review mentions the sound. So the 2009 to 2016, 987.2 and 981 generation will be desirable going forward. The 981's sound even better, have better cabin, chassis and brakes, but slightly numb at the helm compared to the 987's. Sure there are the GT4's and the Spyders with the 3.8's, but for many of us, the 2.7, 2.9 and 3.4 are just fine.

I wonder if the 991.2 and the 992, 6-cyl turbo engines have suffered as much.

John V 09-16-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 537452)
That's such a bummer about the 718's. I haven't driven one, but every review mentions the sound. So the 2009 to 2016, 987.2 and 981 generation will be desirable going forward. The 981's sound even better, have better cabin, chassis and brakes, but slightly numb at the helm compared to the 987's. Sure there are the GT4's and the Spyders with the 3.8's, but for many of us, the 2.7, 2.9 and 3.4 are just fine.

I wonder if the 991.2 and the 992, 6-cyl turbo engines have suffered as much.

Marisa and I took the Boxster to go climbing this morning. Pretty much perfect weather for it: 72 degrees and low humidity (for Maryland at least). Would I like the updated interior and general "betterness" of the 981? I think so. But not in a bigger car that is more numb, I don't think.

Still contemplating selling it, because we hardly drive it and it isn't cheap to keep insured.

rumatt 09-16-2018 06:36 PM

Contemplating? Did you take it off the market?