carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   IS500 reviews are starting to come out (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159920)

robg 09-10-2021 06:40 PM

IS500 reviews are starting to come out

I have no good excuse for why I wouldn't buy this car; in many ways its everything I want in a 4 door car....but I probably won't. Although the styling is kinda fussy I think I prefer it to anything the big 3 Germans are doing currently. It's kind of a Dodge Charger but well built.

TL;DR
-Starts in the low 60s (340 competitor not M3)
-Looks bad on paper compared to German competition; purely an "emotional" choice.
-Great sound; driftability
-Good ride/handling balance; not too soft or stiff (comes std w/ adaptive dampers as well)
-Old lexus infotainment system but atleast it now has a carplay and a touchscreen ( so you dont have to rely on the terrible trackpad thing)
-Transmission is a mixed bag; needs to be left in sport or sport plus to shift crisply. In manual mode can feel jerky.

Here's a pretty detailed one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3b8gwp8fQI&t=9s

Jeff_DML 09-10-2021 06:54 PM

Put the video on my queue and glanced over the autoblog review. V8 seems nice but soft sounding with no stick doesn't interest me much. Probably rather spend the extra money and get the blackwing since V8 and stick.

Theo 09-10-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 576634)
Put the video on my queue and glanced over the autoblog review. V8 seems nice but soft sounding with no stick doesn't interest me much. Probably rather spend the extra money and get the blackwing since V8 and stick.

Almost two IS500’s if loaded up.

I mean I want to like it also but after almost 12y with a big 4door I’m on a smaller car swing and oh yeah, as Jeff says, there is the manual thing.

robg 09-11-2021 04:20 PM

IS500 reviews are starting to come out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 576635)
Almost two IS500’s if loaded up.

I mean I want to like it also but after almost 12y with a big 4door I’m on a smaller car swing and oh yeah, as Jeff says, there is the manual thing.

Yep. I think the appeal of this car is as a relaxing yet fun daily driver. I’m kind of over wanting a stick in my everyday car. You could enjoy the v8 sound at any speed or road condition. Being a Lexus, it should also be pretty trouble free/ something you don’t have to worry about. My only objection is that ideally I want my daily driver to have a hatch of some type. But still it’s very tempting. I certainly can’t see choosing a regular 3 series or a4 over this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemming 09-11-2021 04:46 PM

I agree. A manual is a luxury but a potential pain in the ass for commuting that most of us do.

JST 09-11-2021 06:34 PM

The review I read suggests that the engine likes to rev, which is sort of a weird fit for a car like that.

I’m happy it exists and I can see the appeal, in a wow that’s goofy kind of way. And I’m glad for any power train that isn’t a 2 liter turbo four. But there’s never really been a Lexus that appeals to me, and this doesn’t change that.

Jeff_DML 09-11-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 576658)
I agree. A manual is a luxury but a potential pain in the ass for commuting that most of us do.

I just drove from Orange County to San Diego with a stick so don’t bring it up:lol:

lemming 09-11-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 576662)
I just drove from Orange County to San Diego with a stick so don’t bring it up:lol:

It can be miserable, that drive.

Terri Kennedy 09-12-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

I can top that - 405 during rush hour in an Atom with a clutch that didn't work. :ack:

Theo 09-12-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

The opposite for me on the 101 from Marin To San Diego. Soooo cool.

At least part way.