carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Summit Point (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159606)

JST 10-13-2020 10:51 PM

Summit Point

5 Attachment(s)
Did my first track day since 2012 today up at Summit Point. It's mostly like riding a bicycle, except faster and louder and smells more like brake pads and oil. Oh, and maybe it was the power of suggestion, but the car def felt like it was moving around a lot, which made me start thinking about suspension upgrades again.

Anyhoo, it was a nice event, lightly attended with lots of time on the track, and there were a bunch of Ferrari guys there. I haven't paid much attention to the various Ferrari models these days...I find them kind of boring, honestly, and irrelevant to my life. But there was an F12 and an 812 Superfast and an F8 (?) and a few others.

I'll say this about those cars: They sound cool, and they are legitimately not slow, though the other thing I'll say is that a reasonably well driven Boxster can hang with a not-well-driven F8 any place other than the front straight.

Ha ha ha I just looked it up and it's 300K, wtf.

Also one other thing--a Shelby GT350R is faster on its tires than on its roof, and you should be very careful with throttle application on a wet track.

JST 10-13-2020 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ugh the F8 didn't make it into the above. It was on temp tags and arrived in a trailer.

Also, weird how many Montana residents there are in VA.

clyde 10-13-2020 11:05 PM

Is it sad that off all the pics I saw from there today, I was most interested in the C8?

JST 10-13-2020 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 564968)
Is it sad that off all the pics I saw from there today, I was most interested in the C8?

Oh, that's because I forgot to post this one:

clyde 10-13-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 564969)
Oh, that's because I forgot to post this one:

I saw the ZL1. Still most interested in the C8.

:lol: but true

kognito 10-14-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 564966)

Cool pics!

And that isn't a serious question, right?

Montana is very LLC friendly, so people set them up to avoid taxes. A lot of fancy RV's also live in Montana :lol:

equ 10-14-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 564966)
Ugh the F8 didn't make it into the above. It was on temp tags and arrived in a trailer.

I think there is an epidemic of fake plates / license plate arbitrage in this country. Not sure if MT in VA falls into that.

There are an unbelievable number of FL plates in the NYC area. No, they are not snowbirds who are constantly shuttling back and forth. They are likely people with extended family or an address they can easily prove in a lax state getting away with cheap insurance.

equ 10-14-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 564968)

Auto-tragic.

JST 10-14-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 564970)
I saw the ZL1. Still most interested in the C8.

:lol: but true

Wait, did you see pics from somewhere else?

The C8 is dramatic in person, but I don't know...it doesn't really do anything for me. The styling is kind of weird and overwrought and the car is HUGE. And there's something about the back end that looks like they finished the car and then Marketing told them they needed room for golf clubs, so they just stapled a Camaro trunk on it and called it a day.

Also, it's auto-only.

And, yeah, I was making a joke about the Montana thing.

The people that seemed to be having the most fun were instructors in track prepped Miatas, a 996 GT3, and an M2.

FC 10-14-2020 09:19 AM

I really do not like the front end of that Ferrari.

The event sounds like fun.