carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Age old question: What's a good, reliable car? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=145567)

rumatt 02-20-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 523453)
I
You could probably get a nice one of either brand for $200 a month ... at $2400 per year that is pretty amazing.

That's pretty incredible, actually.

ZBB 02-20-2018 07:20 PM

When I was in my first job, I leased a ‘97 Honda Accord for $160-something per month plus tax (total bill was around $180).

I ended up only keeping the car for 19 out of the 24 month lease - when I did the lease return, I just paid off the remaining 5 months instead of negotiating an early termination. Just was too cheap...

kognito 02-20-2018 07:27 PM

Koreans used to be rough on over mileage charges on leases. Hopefully they have fallen in line with other manufactures by now

blee 02-20-2018 08:15 PM

The only issue with leasing is the mileage limit; if you're going to drive a lot, you're not going to be happy when you return the vehicle.

My vote is to go with a gently used Civic or Accord. They may be appliances, but they're well built and pretty fun to drive.

Alan 02-20-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 523493)
Koreans used to be rough on over mileage charges on leases. Hopefully they have fallen in line with other manufactures by now

If fc pr anyone else is interested I can ask my friend about the mileage charges, he has leased Kia Optimas for each of his kids first cars. I’ve driven them and they are all beautiful.

I had a Hyundai Sonata as a rental over the summer and it was a great car.

3LOU5 02-20-2018 09:39 PM

I knew a guy who worked at an auto salvage yard dismantling cars for parts.

I asked him the same question, and his reply was “Nissan Sentra”.

Probably a bit cheaper than a comparable Civic.

:dunno::dunno:

FC 02-21-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 523506)
I knew a guy who worked at an auto salvage yard dismantling cars for parts.

I asked him the same question, and his reply was “Nissan Sentra”.

Probably a bit cheaper than a comparable Civic.

:dunno::dunno:

I thought Nissan had a pretty bad reputation recently - especially compared to the other Japanese brands.

ff 02-21-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523543)
I thought Nissan had a pretty bad reputation recently - especially compared to the other Japanese brands.

I can only speak for the one Nissan ownership experience I've had, which was a 2003 Armada. The only problem we had in ~40K miles was warped rotors, which was a known issue that the dealer fixed for free outside of warranty. New rotors and pads all the way around. That's not a ton of miles, but it's a few.

I've also had a few Altima rentals. Very unmemorable cars in every possible way.

One place where Nissan cuts corners to keep MSRP low is material quality. Hard, painted plastics and cheap switch gear abound. You sit in one, and you'll immediately notice it.

FC 02-21-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 523551)
I can only speak for the one Nissan ownership experience I've had, which was a 2003 Armada. The only problem we had in ~40K miles was warped rotors, which was a known issue that the dealer fixed for free outside of warranty. New rotors and pads all the way around. That's not a ton of miles, but it's a few.

I've also had a few Altima rentals. Very unmemorable cars in every possible way.

One place where Nissan cuts corners to keep MSRP low is material quality. Hard, painted plastics and cheap switch gear abound. You sit in one, and you'll immediately notice it.

Interesting. Someone at work was telling me how Nissan had very poor CR ratings due to reliability.

RMR 02-21-2018 01:21 PM

The new Honda Fit Sport. It looks weird but has incredible room and holds it value very well. Lease deals are great on it.