carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Roadster or sports sedan? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=124869)

FC 06-25-2016 01:58 PM

Roadster or sports sedan?

It's now been several months since the TT left. The MCS is also gone, we have had an EV for a few months, and my wife starts a new job on Monday. It's still in the city, so logistically, nothing has changed.

A lot of the variables and unknowns are no more.

The sad part (for me) it's evident we have a pretty ideal setup for what we need. The eGolf has been as excellent for us. A perfect combination of size, practicality, economy, and refinement. It's even a bit fun to drive around town for all those short drives and still feels like a new toy. The LR4 is a superb family car with loads of utility. It's elegant, capable, and for what it is, drives pretty well. We don't need anything. We should do nothing until the eGolf lease is up.

My wife is fond of the idea of an M3 (could be a Giulia QV, but unlikely). I think she just wants the family ED trip. She has also really like both our BMW's. Sure it would be fun to have a very fast car that I can fit the whole family in, but most of the time I still would be driving it around town as a commuter. I find it hard to justify anytime soon. Presumably when the eGolf is off lease, the LR4 will become my wife's DD to park at the station all day. But an EV really works for us. Should we buy it off lease (~$12k - it would have VERY low miles and we'd add even less)? Find another cheap EV lease?

Perhaps wait and instead of an M3 get a small Tesla? Regardless, I feel like the sedan part won't make sense until the eGolf lease is over (is the Alfa any good? What about the Tesla?)

I can't help but feel that a used Boxster S/Miata to scratch the roadster/MT/sportscar itch is the best move. I know I could consider 4-seater cabrios, but if I get a toy, I think I'd want it as pure as possible. More importantly, if I go the toy route, I would get it next year instead of 2-3 years from now.

My dream garage, even if it makes little sense, would be:

1) Sports sedan for me (add 2018-19)
2) EV for my wife
3) LR4 indefinitely as family/vacation/winter/tow/utility car
4) Toy roadster (add 2017)

clyde 06-25-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 481223)
if I get a toy, I think I'd want it as pure as possible.

Here's a goofy idea. Why not a motorcycle for that role?

Jeff_DML 06-25-2016 03:06 PM

Get a depreciated boxster

JST 06-25-2016 03:47 PM

Yeah, get a Boxster. When the eGolf goes, get a Model 3.

FC 06-25-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 481235)
Yeah, get a Boxster. When the eGolf goes, get a Model 3.

This is what I'm thinking.

FC 06-25-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 481228)
Here's a goofy idea. Why not a motorcycle for that role?

I've actually thought of it.

rumatt 06-25-2016 08:42 PM

Atom! Elise!

ZBB 06-25-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 481250)
This is what I'm thinking.

Do you have a reservation?

Josh (PA) 06-25-2016 10:16 PM

2 series vert. Checks both boxes, trust me it will work wonderfully.

FC 06-26-2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 481254)
Do you have a reservation?

Nope.