carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dial 911 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=122400)

clyde 06-12-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 560299)
Yeah impressive but where the hell in America are you ever going to be able to use all that power. Unless you go to the track on a regular basis isn’t it a waste?

I can barely have fun with my car.

Full throttle for a moment or two beginning at freeway speed on a freeway is perfectly within the realm of usable.

We're well past the time that performance cars can be fully utilized in public settings. I don't mean super-duper cars. I mean new cars with MSRPs under $60k.

robg 06-12-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 560304)
Full throttle for a moment or two beginning at freeway speed on a freeway is perfectly within the realm of usable.

We're well past the time that performance cars can be fully utilized in public settings. I don't mean super-duper cars. I mean new cars with MSRPs under $60k.

Very true.

Josh (PA) 06-12-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 560299)
Yeah impressive but where the hell in America are you ever going to be able to use all that power. Unless you go to the track on a regular basis isn’t it a waste?

I can barely have fun with my car.

Not sure how the 992 is, but I've been impressed with the fun feel factor of my car at relatively sane speeds. It usually feels like it it going faster than it really is. Even when I'm not 100% it is engaging

lemming 06-12-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 560298)
Quick? Fast? Why not both?

Perhaps most impressive is the total lack of drama.

The Turbo has been, since 991 generation, so fast it’s incredible.

Alan 06-20-2020 05:27 PM

I’ve been looking into the 992, kind of figuring out options for a C2S coupe, spoke to a salesperson i’ve been working with and if I order now I’m looking at a 2021 with fall delivery, the cost would be the 991 plus what I figured out was the cost of a loaded new C8 Corvette which got me thinking I should be looking into the C8 but then what to do with the 991 ...

Also the problem with the Corvette is I always worry about service and there are no Corvette specialty dealers here like they used to be when I had my 2006 C6. All the dealers here are from the 60’s and 70’s ... There is one new dealer locally but they aren’t Corvette specialty dealers, kind of like the NSX, the Acura dealers never see them so how are they going to know how to fix the common problems when they see so few of them.

Porsche is different, all they do is work on high end cars.

robg 06-22-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 560501)
I’ve been looking into the 992, kind of figuring out options for a C2S coupe, spoke to a salesperson i’ve been working with and if I order now I’m looking at a 2021 with fall delivery, the cost would be the 991 plus what I figured out was the cost of a loaded new C8 Corvette which got me thinking I should be looking into the C8 but then what to do with the 991 ...

Also the problem with the Corvette is I always worry about service and there are no Corvette specialty dealers here like they used to be when I had my 2006 C6. All the dealers here are from the 60’s and 70’s ... There is one new dealer locally but they aren’t Corvette specialty dealers, kind of like the NSX, the Acura dealers never see them so how are they going to know how to fix the common problems when they see so few of them.

Porsche is different, all they do is work on high end cars.

Wow- yeah that's quite a price difference. My guess is you'd get more smiles out of the C8 (just the sound of the V8 alone), but some of the overall ownership experience would be irritating (dealers, lackluster fit and finish, little niggles that dont get fixed etc). As for the 992, this guy does a thorough job of reviewing all the options (i actually fell asleep listening to this the other night- lol). Also I know 911s have pretty low depreciation- Even with the much higher MSRP, would the total depreciation amount over a few years of ownership be similar to the c8?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3MQ-eQVsU

Nick M3 06-22-2020 01:15 PM

Found a solution to the 911 lack of center jack points:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...31&oe=5F151196

Common "wisdom" is to use the engine case as a jack point. I reject that.

Alan 06-22-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 560521)
Wow- yeah that's quite a price difference. My guess is you'd get more smiles out of the C8 (just the sound of the V8 alone), but some of the overall ownership experience would be irritating (dealers, lackluster fit and finish, little niggles that dont get fixed etc). As for the 992, this guy does a thorough job of reviewing all the options (i actually fell asleep listening to this the other night- lol). Also I know 911s have pretty low depreciation- Even with the much higher MSRP, would the total depreciation amount over a few years of ownership be similar to the c8?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3MQ-eQVsU

Thanks for the link I am absolutely going to watch it :thumbup:

As far as the Corvette, I think they did an incredible job but I really need to test drive one and that will be impossible for the next year or two until the initial demand is met, GM stopped producing cars then started at a slow pace, it will be forever before test drives are available..

Lately I have been driving the Cayman a lot, I really like the PDK ... I agree the price of the 992 is quite a bit but if it’s as good as my 991 I would end up keeping it for a long time.

Anyway we will see what happens, a part of me is thinking just go get a 991.2 pdk Coupe or go with a Cab like Josh did ... the price is so right and I love the updated look as well as the low end torque.

Alan 06-25-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 560521)

Rob, I am loving this link ... thanks so much for posting it !!

Almost done watching ... in the middle of part 2 ... not sure if this link will cost me more or less money ;)

equ 06-25-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 560533)
Thanks for the link I am absolutely going to watch it :thumbup:

Anyway we will see what happens, a part of me is thinking just go get a 991.2 pdk Coupe or go with a Cab like Josh did ... the price is so right and I love the updated look as well as the low end torque.

Hey Alan, if you do end up considering a 991.2 or 992, let me know where you are with your 991. Perhaps I could match or better the dealer's trade-in + tax (though tax is hefty in NY).