carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rented my first 'vert (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160239)

3LOU5 11-04-2022 05:57 PM

Rented my first 'vert

In Vegas.

2022 Mustang with a 4-banger. I didn't get a chance to open the hood and look into the engine bay like I usually do, but man, for a 4-cylinder, it had some get-up-and-go.

I'm thinking it may have a turbo, judging from the seat-of-the-pants feel.

The one defect I noticed was the front passenger's window didn't exactly mate with the rear passenger's window, so there was a VERY noticeable gap between them when the top was down. I did like the fact that it was a one-button operation, and that I didn't have to get out and struggle with the top like the convertibles of old.

When I punched it on the freeway, the exhaust sound was very satisfying for a stock set-up. Like I said, it got to 80 mph fairly quickly, and was wondering what it would be like to drive a Shelby GT500 version of it.

We cruised the Strip with the top down, and found out this is really a good way to take pics of the unique buildings because there's no roof to get in the way.

(BTW, if you've never been to The Mob Museum, I highly recommend it. Extremely well done and VERY interesting !!).

wdc330i 11-04-2022 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 592064)
In Vegas.

2022 Mustang with a 4-banger. I didn't get a chance to open the hood and look into the engine bay like I usually do, but man, for a 4-cylinder, it had some get-up-and-go.

I'm thinking it may have a turbo, judging from the seat-of-the-pants feel.

The one defect I noticed was the passenger's window didn't exactly mate with the driver's window, so there was a VERY noticeable gap between them when the top was down. I did like the fact that it was a one-button operation, and that I didn't have to get out and struggle with the top like the convertibles of old.

When I punched it on the freeway, the exhaust sound was very satisfying for a stock set-up. Like I said, it got to 80 mph fairly quickly, and was wondering what it would be like to drive a Shelby GT500 version of it.

We cruised the Strip with the top down, and found out this is really a good way to take pics of the unique buildings because there's no roof to get in the way.

(BTW, if you've never been to The Mob Museum, I highly recommend it. Extremely well done and VERY interesting !!).

I rented a Mustang convertible in Las Vegas YEARS ago. And with a friend drove it out to Zion and back (you can see the light from Luxor for MILES at night).

A ton of fun—although I do remember noting it was a somewhat lousy handling car and it felt kind of cheap. I doubt I even owned a BMW yet and still made that judgment.

JST 11-04-2022 06:41 PM

Yes, only two engines available in the non-Shelby Mustang these days, the 5.0 V8 and the 2.3L turbo four. The four makes 310 hp, so it’s not slow.

3LOU5 11-04-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 592071)
Yes, only two engines available in the non-Shelby Mustang these days, the 5.0 V8 and the 2.3L turbo four. The four makes 310 hp, so it’s not slow.

That explains a lot of things, LOL.

I had a 2.3L four in my 1988 Ranger, and it was a dog. That turbo makes a HUGE difference.

The truck's engine may have been (most likely) been tuned differently as well.

3LOU5 11-04-2022 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 592069)
I rented a Mustang convertible in Las Vegas YEARS ago. And with a friend drove it out to Zion and back (you can see the light from Luxor for MILES at night).

A ton of fun—although I do remember noting it was a somewhat lousy handling car and it felt kind of cheap. I doubt I even owned a BMW yet and still made that judgment.

I don't remember this 2022 feeling sloppy in the handling department, but I didn't take it on any canyon runs either.

Kinda wished it came with a stick, but that would be asking too much ....

Alan 11-04-2022 06:55 PM

Pretty cool Lou … I remember having a Mustang convertible after my honeymoon trip we went to Florida and it was fun, I loved the power roof !!

But that was back 28 years ago, there is something I always liked about the Mustangs !!

Btw very jealous I miss Vegas !

3LOU5 11-04-2022 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 592075)
Pretty cool Lou … I remember having a Mustang convertible after my honeymoon trip we went to Florida and it was fun, I loved the power roof !!

But that was back 28 years ago, there is something I always liked about the Mustangs !!

Btw very jealous I miss Vegas !

Yeah, I can see why Mustangs can be so addictive, especially ones that're convertibles. It makes me want to find a Miata even more.

To be honest, the only thing I like about "Lost Wages" is the variety of food and the shows. Otherwise, I really have no interest in living there.

It's a great getaway, especially for Reno-ites like me.

JST 11-04-2022 09:40 PM

The 2.3 in the Mustang doesn’t have anything in common with the old Lima block 2.3 in the Ranger et al. That was a SOHC engine; I think in later years it had twin plugs but it wasn’t powerful by modern standards.

The Mustang engine is a slightly detuned version of the engine from the Focus RS.

kognito 11-06-2022 07:51 PM

I wish my wife's Fusion had the 2.3 turbo instead of the 2.0 turbo.

The extra 65 HP would be nice.

JST 11-06-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 592101)
I wish my wife's Fusion had the 2.3 turbo instead of the 2.0 turbo.

The extra 65 HP would be nice.

JV is the master of building Duratecs. He could get you waaaay more than 65 hp.