carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What to do with the Mazdaspeed? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=137426)

John V 04-20-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 572277)
Wait, RWD, back seat, four(ish) doors...you need an LS swapped RX8 as a winter beater.

So interestingly...

My first thought when I found the rust on the Mazda was "I should buy another old Mazda."

I don't think I want to go the LS route, because that would make too much sense. I was actually thinking of doing another Duratec 2.5 swap, except instead of turbocharging it I'd build a high compression street engine. Or maybe a K-series. I wanted to make an S54 work and I think I could, but not easily. I also considered a 3.6L GM V6 swap, as that's becoming more popular in the RX-8 community. But I hate how they sound.

JST 06-23-2021 09:16 PM

Ok, new Civic hatch looks…fine. Doesn’t set my world on fire but it’s pleasant. Specs seem decent, too, for a commuter—and this is before we see an Si or Type R version.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...back-revealed/

Jeff_DML 06-24-2021 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 574252)
Ok, new Civic hatch looks…fine. Doesn’t set my world on fire but it’s pleasant. Specs seem decent, too, for a commuter—and this is before we see an Si or Type R version.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...back-revealed/

Nice blue but guessing most of us would not be happy with the way it drives. Yes, type r or maybe si would be ok.

John V 06-24-2021 07:23 AM

The back end looks an awful lot like the Model 3.

JST 06-24-2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 574255)
The back end looks an awful lot like the Model 3.

The back end of the sedan looks a lot more like the Model 3. At least the hatch has a heckblende.

But the Model 3's back end is pretty derivative, and looks quite a bit like a Jetta and...one of the Hyundai's, I can't be bothered to look up which one.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about this car because it seems like the perfect answer to the "what car to get for a teenager" question, assuming you're going to get a teenager a new car (which I realize is a separate issue).

wdc330i 06-24-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 574258)

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about this car because it seems like the perfect answer to the "what car to get for a teenager" question, assuming you're going to get a teenager a new car (which I realize is a separate issue).

Was thinking about this, too. Although, I think the more likely answer is used Mazda3 hatchback, if I can find one.

Edit: Here's one in Va. https://www.carmax.com/car/20640276

Not much of a discount off of new, though.

John V 06-28-2021 09:31 AM

Civic, Mazda 3, Focus, etc, all make sense to me as cars for new drivers. Something with as many distracted-driver aids as possible. :)

Plaz 06-28-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 574286)
Civic, Mazda 3, Focus, etc, all make sense to me as cars for new drivers. Something with as many distracted-driver aids as possible. :)

This. My daughter has done great with her Mazda 3, and has actually admitted to me the nannies have saved her butt a couple of times.

John V 06-28-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 574290)
This. My daughter has done great with her Mazda 3, and has actually admitted to me the nannies have saved her butt a couple of times.

Pretty durable little cars, too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

Plaz 06-28-2021 10:06 PM

Nice. And it's a plus that they don't completely suck to drive. Worst flaw is underpoweredness IMO.

John V 06-29-2021 07:52 AM

Well the turbo version fixes the power issue :D

Though I think the new version with a turbo is only available with an auto :(

Plaz 06-30-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 574302)
Well the turbo version fixes the power issue :D

Though I think the new version with a turbo is only available with an auto :(

{sad trombone}

John V 06-30-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 574332)
{sad trombone}

Hence why (well, one reason why) I'm still driving around the one we bought new in 2009.

John V 12-20-2021 08:22 AM

So my trusty Mazdaspeed might not be so trusty after all. It just rolled over 220,000 and recently it has been going through oil at quite a rapid rate yet it doesn't smoke out the exhaust and it doesn't leak. I needed to get it on the lift to swap to the winter tires and change the oil so I gave it a quick checkover. Plugs look good and it's not leaking anything. No oil in the charge pipes, so that's a positive. I did a quick leakdown test and came back with 2% leakdown on cylinders 1, 2 and 4, and 16% on cylinder 3. With pressure applied to number 3 at TDC I can hear air coming out the hole for the oil fill cap. So, that's rings (or more likely a cracked ring land, pretty common on the 2.3 DISI engines).

As crappy as this car is, I kind of like driving it and my wife is a bit attached to it. I also can't easily replace it without spending a pile of money. It still runs fine, I just need to keep an eye on the oil level. I'm seriously contemplating swapping out the 2.3 bottom end for a 2.5 (like I have in the RX-8). They're pretty robust and the local salvage yard has a pile of low mileage units they are happy to sell me for $275 a pop. It would just be a weekend job to yank the 2.3, swap the cylinder head and accessories over to the 2.5, and drop that in. Even in its current state, the 2.3 is worth around $500 so I'd be roughly neutral on cost... it's just a lot of labor.

Decisions...

SARAFIL 12-20-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 580793)
So my trusty Mazdaspeed might not be so trusty after all. It just rolled over 220,000 and recently it has been going through oil at quite a rapid rate yet it doesn't smoke out the exhaust and it doesn't leak. I needed to get it on the lift to swap to the winter tires and change the oil so I gave it a quick checkover. Plugs look good and it's not leaking anything. No oil in the charge pipes, so that's a positive. I did a quick leakdown test and came back with 2% leakdown on cylinders 1, 2 and 4, and 16% on cylinder 3. With pressure applied to number 3 at TDC I can hear air coming out the hole for the oil fill cap. So, that's rings (or more likely a cracked ring land, pretty common on the 2.3 DISI engines).

As crappy as this car is, I kind of like driving it and my wife is a bit attached to it. I also can't easily replace it without spending a pile of money. It still runs fine, I just need to keep an eye on the oil level. I'm seriously contemplating swapping out the 2.3 bottom end for a 2.5 (like I have in the RX-8). They're pretty robust and the local salvage yard has a pile of low mileage units they are happy to sell me for $275 a pop. It would just be a weekend job to yank the 2.3, swap the cylinder head and accessories over to the 2.5, and drop that in. Even in its current state, the 2.3 is worth around $500 so I'd be roughly neutral on cost... it's just a lot of labor.

Decisions...

If it comes down to a weekend of labor and you like the car, what do you have to lose? It’s probably less effort & stress than you’d put into finding a replacement car right now.

JST 12-20-2021 08:55 AM

How come a 2.3 lower end with a cracked ring land is worth the same as a 2.5?

The 2.5s have the same bore, just a different stroke?

Seems like a no brainer to do the swap if you’ve got a free weekend.

clyde 12-20-2021 09:18 AM

I think the answer writes itself

wdc330i 12-20-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 580799)
I think the answer writes itself

Yep. Especially considering the state of the auto industry currently.

John V 12-20-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 580797)
How come a 2.3 lower end with a cracked ring land is worth the same as a 2.5?

The 2.5s have the same bore, just a different stroke?

Seems like a no brainer to do the swap if you’ve got a free weekend.

I think because there are orders of magnitude more 2.5s out there than there are 2.3 DISIs. The 2.3 DISI also has a forged crank and the block is set up with an oil drain. But really, I don't know? :dunno:

2.5 is a larger bore (89mm vs 87.5mm) and a larger stroke (100mm vs 94mm).

JST 12-20-2021 10:59 AM

Larger bore but the 2.3 head bolts up?

John V 12-20-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 580806)
Larger bore but the 2.3 head bolts up?

The entire line, 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5, share bore centers and chamber dimensions.

John V 08-10-2022 03:22 PM

It rolled over 230,000 on the way to work this morning.

The 2.5L that was supposed to end up in this car is now in the RX-8. With an EcoBoost 2.3 crank and some other goodies. So I guess I need to go pick up another 2.5 :lol:

I'd really like to keep this thing on the road long enough that something used and electric (that I wouldn't be ashamed to drive) becomes cheap enough for me to pick up. Figure that's another ~ 3 years, at which point it'll be close to 300k miles. Adding oil every other fuel stop is annoying.