carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   About to do something very stupid (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=145749)

clyde 02-23-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523830)
Doing a bit of a mix of both previous trips with a bit extra. We are taking the kids with us. 2 weeks.

Day 1) BMW factory/museum/car delivery. PM Drive Munich to Salzburg via quick stop at Berchtesgaden (Eagle’s Nest) – 125 miles (3+ hours of driving total)
Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 3) PM Salzburg to Hallstatt – 46 miles (1+ hours of driving)
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
Day 5) Early AM Hallstatt to Bolzano (via Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Dolomites) – 261 miles (all day worth of scenic driving).
Day 6) Early AM Bolzano to Lake Como (via Swiz.) – 164 miles (5+ hours of driving)
Day 7) Stay in Lake Como
Day 8) Early AM Lake Como to Interlaken (via Gotthard & Susten passes) – 141 miles (4+ hours of driving)
Day 9) Interlaken to Strassbourg via blackforest (with brief stops along the way) – 211 miles (all day worth of driving)
Day 10) Strassbourg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (stopping in Stuttgart only to visit MB & Porsche Museums) – 186 miles (3+ hours of driving)
Day 11) Stay in Rothenburg - Have break-in service done – Dealer is 2 miles away. I should be at or over 1200 miles.
Day 12) Rothenberg to Munich via Schwangau – 250 miles (under 4.5 hours total)
Day 13) Return car and fly out.

May ditch Strassbourg in favor of more time in Interlaken so we can visit Jungefrau.

Um, that list looks like it's missing something.

Should be fun, though. When is delivery expected?

Nick M3 02-23-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 523807)
I'd assume that the sunroof will increase your sale value in the general population. Just not here.

Slicktops have significantly enhanced value in private party sale.

3LOU5 02-23-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Doing a bit of a mix of both previous trips with a bit extra. We are taking the kids with us. 2 weeks.

Day 1) BMW factory/museum/car delivery. PM Drive Munich to Salzburg via quick stop at Berchtesgaden (Eagle’s Nest) – 125 miles (3+ hours of driving total)
Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
Day 5) Early AM Hallstatt to Bolzano (via Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Dolomites) – 261 miles (all day worth of scenic driving).
Day 6) Early AM Bolzano to Lake Como (via Swiz.) – 164 miles (5+ hours of driving)
Day 7) Stay in Lake Como
Day 8) Early AM Lake Como to Interlaken (via Gotthard & Susten passes) – 141 miles (4+ hours of driving)
Day 9) Interlaken to Strassbourg via blackforest (with brief stops along the way) – 211 miles (all day worth of driving)
Day 10) Strassbourg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (stopping in Stuttgart only to visit MB & Porsche Museums) – 186 miles (3+ hours of driving)
Day 11) Stay in Rothenburg - Have break-in service done – Dealer is 2 miles away. I should be at or over 1200 miles.

May ditch Strassbourg in favor of more time in Interlaken so we can visit Jungefrau.

I don't know if you are going to pass through Switzerland, but if you're still desiring a Swiss timepiece, stop there.

I saved about $500 on my Tag the last time I was in Lucerne. Should have bought an Omega there, lol.

Have fun and congrats !!

lip277 02-23-2018 10:30 PM

Awesome - It will be a blast (both the Euro delivery -and getting to drive your car around while you are there).
My did did that with his 1994 E32. He always talked about it - and gave my Mom lots of excuses to shaker her head - that was so fun to see them both engaged that way.

SARAFIL 02-23-2018 10:48 PM

About to do something very stupid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 523767)
me too, but leased so BMW eats the depreciation with those crazy lease deals

Fixed that for you

Loving my 66% 3 year residual on the 550... checked trade value recently out of curiosity and I’m at least $20k upside down right now due to the high residual. Let BMW take the hit. This one will definitely be my record in terms of gap between residual and actual lease end ACV.

rumatt 02-23-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 523839)
Slicktops have significantly enhanced value in private party sale.

Well, there you go FC. It's better for both you and us if you delete the roof. :D

FC 02-24-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 523843)
Well, there you go FC. It's better for both you and us if you delete the roof. :D

Well, that's a shame.:twisted:

kognito 02-24-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
Day 7) Stay in Lake Como

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 523831)
Nice.

I’d recommend spending more time in Interlachen — beautiful area...

This!!

IndyMike 02-24-2018 10:13 AM

Congratulations on the early birthday gift. I likey likey both the specs and trip agenda. Anything with "orange" in the name is a good thing, although SO is more reddish than orange most times, and reminds me of IR, and that certainly doesn't reek. Awwww.....nice......to have another orange titled car on the board.

The only comment about the trip details is I would spend more time in the Salzburg and Berchtesgaden area. It's great you have the Eagles Nest on the list, but there's the salt mines, Konigsee and great walking trails to help drink in the beautiful Alpine air and scenery. The kids will be tired due to the jet lag, and a day or two to help everyone unwind and decompress will set up the rest of the trip to be better enjoyed, imo.

But even as its planned, it's going to be a great gig for everyone.

Oh, and thanks for not getting a Tesla. You can get one of those later, once you're an over 40 geezer..........lol.

lemming 02-24-2018 11:22 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job, FC. Get the car you want so you spend money and enjoy it instead of buying and saying “I should have....”

It’s not the last car you’re ever going to buy either way.

blee 02-24-2018 04:23 PM

:thumbup: I've "been" to Germany a half dozen times now, but every single time I've either spent the whole time in an airport, or in a barracks. One of these days I intend to take a no-shit trip, but I doubt it'll include delivery of an M3 like yours. Enjoy it!

jpgurl 02-24-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 3) PM Salzburg to Hallstatt
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt

We're headed to these same stops in June! But we'll be traveling by train, not a new M3. :mad2: Have Fun!

FC 02-24-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyMike (Post 523851)
Congratulations on the early birthday gift. I likey likey both the specs and trip agenda. Anything with "orange" in the name is a good thing, although SO is more reddish than orange most times, and reminds me of IR, and that certainly doesn't reek. Awwww.....nice......to have another orange titled car on the board.

The only comment about the trip details is I would spend more time in the Salzburg and Berchtesgaden area. It's great you have the Eagles Nest on the list, but there's the salt mines, Konigsee and great walking trails to help drink in the beautiful Alpine air and scenery. The kids will be tired due to the jet lag, and a day or two to help everyone unwind and decompress will set up the rest of the trip to be better enjoyed, imo.

But even as its planned, it's going to be a great gig for everyone.

Oh, and thanks for not getting a Tesla. You can get one of those later, once you're an over 40 geezer..........lol.

:lol:

Hallstatt is where the salt mines are. So we are spending 3+ days overall in that area.

lip277 02-25-2018 10:54 AM

LOL- 'quite a trip' is relative...
When I was growing up, a Sunday often consisted of my parents packing us all in the station wagon (1978 Ford Country Squire) for a scenic drive and a picnic.

We'd leave Monterey in the morning and go to..... Yosemite for a picnic lunch in the valley or maybe at the Ahwahnee. Do some touring around then drive back. That is about 200 miles each way - and we'd always take fun detours on the way over or back.

Guess that is why, to this day - I often take 400 mile drives on a Saturday or Sunday - just to get out of the house.
Here is one I do a couple of times each year.... https://goo.gl/maps/uSW4KrXdovm
Leave in the morning and have lunch in Leavenworth or Winthrop and do some looking around... then head home.

My brother's kids also have been brought up in the 'road trip' environment - Big vacation driving trips from Monterey to Utah or Montana or... Texas.... are a yearly activity. We get our Danish relatives in on the act as well when they visit - they really love it. Especially much so as the scenery is so different from what they have in northern Europe.
But - I guess we are just a bit weird.
:)

FC 02-25-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 523874)
That is quite a trip ... I never did the ‘Scenic drive’ thing but it sounds a little torturous for the passengers to have to be in a car for that long over such a short time.

Just did a 180 mile trip each way a couple of weeks ago and that was not too fun plus my passenger (my 17 yr old daughter) slept for a lot of it, I know it wasn’t too fun for her.

I don’t recall reading about you taking too many road trips are you sure your kids will be alright being in a car for that amount of time ... I forget ... does the Bimmer at least have WiFi ?

Edit: I should know this being I have a 2017 3er with all the toys sitting in the driveway :confused:

I'm sure it will be tiring, but they grew up on road trips to Canada (dozens) and we've gone to Quebec City and also to DC (both 400+ miles in one shot) with no complaints.

Hopefully the scenery and the M3 will be bearable.

FC 02-25-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 523835)
Um, that list looks like it's missing something.

Should be fun, though. When is delivery expected?

July 2nd. It will be during the 2nd half of the World cup. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'm hoping good since people will want to watch the games.

kognito 02-25-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lip277 (Post 523880)
Guess that is why, to this day - I often take 400 mile drives on a Saturday or Sunday - just to get out of the house.
Here is one I do a couple of times each year.... https://goo.gl/maps/uSW4KrXdovm
Leave in the morning and have lunch in Leavenworth or Winthrop and do some looking around... then head home.

I guess we are just a bit weird.

Did that trip on the first weekend after 20 was opened after the winter pass was cleared! At one of the scenic pull outs we ran into a group of 3 old Ford model A's (two of them were ragtops) The owners and wifes had pulled over for a picnic lunch, kinda glad we pulled out before them. I'm guessing they didn't go up the pass very quickly!

I miss Winthrop and Leavenworth. My facebook photo shows main street Leavenworth decked out in xmas lights.

I'm not sure how many times I've been to Germany. Between tours during rock and roll days, working for two different German companies during my working career, and trips to In-Laws in Mainz. Easily has to be over 20 visits. I keep telling my wife we need to go for a vacation, and not tell any relatives we are visiting. Just go and be tourists.

3LOU5 02-25-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

LOL- 'quite a trip' is relative...
When I was growing up, a Sunday often consisted of my parents packing us all in the station wagon (1978 Ford Country Squire) for a scenic drive and a picnic.

We'd leave Monterey in the morning and go to..... Yosemite for a picnic lunch in the valley or maybe at the Ahwahnee. Do some touring around then drive back. That is about 200 miles each way - and we'd always take fun detours on the way over or back.

My brother's kids also have been brought up in the 'road trip' environment - Big vacation driving trips from Monterey to Utah or Montana or... Texas.... are a yearly activity. We get our Danish relatives in on the act as well when they visit - they really love it. Especially much so as the scenery is so different from what they have in northern Europe.
But - I guess we are just a bit weird.

I LOVE taking road trips.

When my gf and I were doing the traveling CT/x-ray tech thing, we'd drive between 400 and 600 miles a day to get to our assignments. I'd lead with my 3 and she'd follow with her Odyssey. We would communicate via 2-way radios.

We've driven across the country a total of 8 times, each time taking different routes.

I remember one particular road trip in winter when we were heading east from CA to MA. There was HUGE weather front that was dumping A LOT of snow. We were trying to keep ahead of it and ended up driving close to 700 miles that one day.

rumatt 02-25-2018 11:51 AM

I hated road trips as a kid. I was always car sick and miserable.

I must have been really fun to have as a kid. :lol:

lip277 02-25-2018 12:11 PM

Some kids (adults) are not able to do the 'road trip' thing....
My manager at work - he doesn't even like driving 40 minutes each morning to get to work. He doesn't like it to the point he is in a carpool (with his wife) and he has never driven when she is available.
He just smiles and shakes his head when he hears of my trips to Monterey where I drive 900 miles straight through without stopping.

Alan 02-25-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523883)
I'm sure it will be tiring, but they grew up on road trips to Canada (dozens) and we've gone to Quebec City and also to DC (both 400+ miles in one shot) with no complaints.

Hopefully the scenery and the M3 will be bearable.

Lucky man ... very excited for you :thumbup:

FC 02-25-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 523889)
I hated road trips as a kid. I was always car sick and miserable.

I must have been really fun to have as a kid. :lol:

:ack:

:D

clyde 02-25-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523884)
July 2nd. It will be during the 2nd half of the World cup. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'm hoping good since people will want to watch the games.

Nice. Still missing something, though. ;)

clyde 02-25-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

That is worthy of jealousy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lip277 (Post 523890)
Some kids (adults) are not able to do the 'road trip' thing....
My manager at work - he doesn't even like driving 40 minutes each morning to get to work. He doesn't like it to the point he is in a carpool (with his wife) and he has never driven when she is available.
He just smiles and shakes his head when he hears of my trips to Monterey where I drive 900 miles straight through without stopping.

My kids (16 and 14 next month), have always traveled very well by trains, planes, and automobiles. 900 miles straight shots between DC and Orlando, just stopping for food, gas and bathroom, whirlwind weeklong jaunts through the desert with many hours in the car every day, they just go. They complain more now that they're teenagers, but they're teenagers. Hoping we can squeeze out a Seattle to San Diego drive this summer, but thinking it'll wind up a week in SF with a few day trips.

Alan 02-25-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 523903)
That is worthy of jealousy.

My kids (16 and 14 next month), have always traveled very well by trains, planes, and automobiles. 900 miles straight shots between DC and Orlando, just stopping for food, gas and bathroom, whirlwind weeklong jaunts through the desert with many hours in the car every day, they just go. They complain more now that they're teenagers, but they're teenagers. Hoping we can squeeze out a Seattle to San Diego drive this summer, but thinking it'll wind up a week in SF with a few day trips.

Mine are a PIA in the car when they were young ... 3 hour trips felt like 6 hours :ack:

On planes they are totally fine ...

FC 02-25-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 523902)
Nice. Still missing something, though. ;)

OK. I'm lost. What am I missing?

JST 02-25-2018 06:02 PM

Nurburgring?

clyde 02-25-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523909)
OK. I'm lost. What am I missing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 523910)
Nurburgring?

Yes.

FC 02-26-2018 01:09 AM

Ah, well, no chance of that. It's in the wrong direction and my wife would not want me to drag her or the kids to that.

JST 02-26-2018 06:36 AM

Yeah, in the wrong direction, but I’d do that before Rothenburg, which I remember being a little kitschy and touristy.

And aren’t there kids attractions/theme park stuff at the Nurburgring these days?

FC 02-26-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 523915)
Yeah, in the wrong direction, but I’d do that before Rothenburg, which I remember being a little kitschy and touristy.

And aren’t there kids attractions/theme park stuff at the Nurburgring these days?

Just checked again. It's significantly out of the way given our tentative itinerary. Plus my wife loves Rothenburg so I cannot strike out altogether. I may decrease time there to spend more time in Interlaken.

clyde 02-26-2018 09:51 AM

Bah

FC 02-26-2018 09:59 AM

Hey, I'll still ask. If it were up to me, I'd spend the extra $500(?) and extend insurance/registration for a whole month and spend a 3rd week there. After all, camp is costing me nearly $1k a week for both kids, so I'd save that, but my wife is already annoyed at taking two straight weeks off at work.

JST 02-26-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523924)
Hey, I'll still ask. If it were up to me, I'd spend the extra $500(?) and extend insurance/registration for a whole month and spend a 3rd week there. After all, camp is costing me nearly $1k a week for both kids, so I'd save that, but my wife is already annoyed at taking two straight weeks off at work.

Yeah, 3 wks is a long time to be away.

OTOH, so much can be done remotely these days, and you know what they say about never thinking "man, I wish I'd spent more time at work."

clyde 02-26-2018 10:25 AM

This is the third(?) time you've been there and haven't done it? Your first M car? I get it's not in the same direction as everything else on your itinerary, but it's not that far out of the way.

JST 02-26-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 523934)
This is the third(?) time you've been there and haven't done it? Your first M car? I get it's not in the same direction as everything else on your itinerary, but it's not that far out of the way.

Well and also there's a balance between old favorites and new experiences, but seriously how many times can you go to Rothenberg?

You could blow up the whole itinerary and just drive to Paris instead.

FC 02-26-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 523935)
Well and also there's a balance between old favorites and new experiences, but seriously how many times can you go to Rothenberg?

You could blow up the whole itinerary and just drive to Paris instead.

We've been to Rothenburg once. Wife wants the kids to see it.

clyde 02-26-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 523935)
seriously how many times can you go to Rothenberg

If on January 1, 2007 you told me that I would have gone to Disney World eight times between then and now, Disneyland twice and taken a Disney cruise, I would have laughed you silly. Yet...

rumatt 02-26-2018 11:03 AM

Independent of wives not letting us do things we want to do...

There's a black M3 in my work parking lot and I have to say, it's a great looking car. It made me want to test drive one. I'm sure that will quell any delusions I have :lol:

FC, what did you say about them updating the handling?

FC 02-26-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 523942)
Independent of wives not letting us do things we want to do...

There's a black M3 in my work parking lot and I have to say, it's a great looking car. It made me want to test drive one. I'm sure that will quell any delusions I have :lol:

FC, what did you say about them updating the handling?

IIRC, one of the early beefs with the F8X when it came out was the inability to put the power down. This was pretty scary, not confidence-inspiring, and against the BMW tradition of being at the limit handling and balance. The steering was also less than great and the ride was super harsh with no commensurable benefit in trade.

The competition package has basically addressed all of those (less so the steering). The ride (in part thanks to sportier setup and 20" wheels) is not exactly comfier (although surprisingly many claim so) but definitely far batter handling irregularities mid corner. The dIff has also been tweaked. It's a combination of hardware and mapping tweaks.

Then there is the sound, which still a turd compared to the E90 M3 to many the exhaust alone is worth the price of admission compared to the vanilla exhaust.

Someone went through the trouble of cataloging all F8X comparisons. The later ones tend to talk about the improvements.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1067504

From EVO:

BMW M4 CP

So where does that leave the M4? Way out in front is the short answer. It’s taken BMW a while, but this 2018MY Competition Package version is the car the M4 should have been from the start. From its near-perfect weight distribution to its pared-back kerb weight, the fast and fun BMW feels like a car that’s been developed with the driver’s best interests at heart. ‘It has an authenticity to it that cuts through the challenge of the other two,’ says Towler. ‘It shines brightly pretty much all the time. Whatever the mood, whatever the journey, the M4 feels like an event, like a real performance car, like a car to covet and treasure.’ Like a winner.

The bolded sentence is a common theme.