carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Fire Sale... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=84548)

SCA 03-30-2014 09:37 PM

Fire Sale...

Over the past 3 weeks I have sold the 4Runner (waiting to deliver it) & the BMW R1100S. The E90 is under serious consideration at the right price. I am over owning belongings that are rarely used, with exception of the 4R. I have something in the works, a new auto purchase, but it goes against the 'code' of a mudgeon.

SARAFIL 03-31-2014 07:07 AM

Woah... hopefully you're not selling for fire sale prices!! Can't say I blame you though. As I've gotten older, I've put less value on the concept of a "garage queen" and just want something I can drive regularly. Let us know what you end up with, now I'm curious!

lemming 03-31-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 410990)
Woah... hopefully you're not selling for fire sale prices!! Can't say I blame you though. As I've gotten older, I've put less value on the concept of a "garage queen" and just want something I can drive regularly. Let us know what you end up with, now I'm curious!

*yes*

a garage queen just undergoes dry rot and then what you get are engines that eat oil.

kognito 03-31-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 410987)
I have something in the works, a new auto purchase, but it goes against the 'code' of a mudgeon.

What color Camry are you looking at? :):lol:

JST 03-31-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 411007)
What color Camry are you looking at? :):lol:

Camrys (Camries?) do not come in colors. There is only one color of Camry, and it is camrysilverbeige.

ZBB 03-31-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 411010)
Camrys (Camries?) do not come in colors. There is only one color of Camry, and it is camrysilverbeige.

And it really is an interesting color. On some it appears nearly silver. On others, nearly white, and on others beige. But once on a particular Camry, the color doesn't change unless you happen to induce a camrycorner, and then its only a partial color change...

Josh (PA) 03-31-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 411026)
And it really is an interesting color. On some it appears nearly silver. On others, nearly white, and on others beige. But once on a particular Camry, the color doesn't change unless you happen to induce a camrycorner, and then its only a partial color change...

I was following a camry last night and noted it had a corner free bumper. Then I noticed the bumper was shiny and a darker shade of camrysilverbeige suggesting the driver had made their initial allotment of camry corners and was resetting for more.

SCA, are you really getting a camry???

kognito 03-31-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 411054)

that was my rumor, not SCA's :D

Josh (PA) 03-31-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 411059)
that was my rumor, not SCA's :D

I know, but the initial post has strong hints in that general direction.

SCA 03-31-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 411054)

Not only no, but HELL NO!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 411066)
I know, but the initial post has strong hints in that general direction.

SUV and Auto...

wdc330i 03-31-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 411069)

SUV and Auto...

X5 5.0?

Jeff_DML 03-31-2014 04:34 PM

cayenne s with a stick that TD recently posted in another thread:cool:

JST 03-31-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 411069)

SUV and Auto...

Lexus RX400h?

TD 03-31-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 411074)
cayenne s with a stick that TD recently posted in another thread:cool:

I'm still thinking about it...

Didn't get a chance to drive it over the weekend. I assume it's still there since there are probably not even a dozen people in the country interested in a manual trans SUV.

ZBB 03-31-2014 04:54 PM

FWIW, I put about 150 miles on a Cayene diesel yesterday... That thing has almost as much torque as my Tesla...

And the driver's seat is not comfortable...

clyde 03-31-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 411076)
I'm still thinking about it...

Didn't get a chance to drive it over the weekend. I assume it's still there since there are probably not even a dozen people in the country interested in a manual trans SUV.

Oh yeah? Check the link...

John V 03-31-2014 06:58 PM

I expected this to be another tesla thread.

Josh (PA) 03-31-2014 08:24 PM

Don't get an MDX... they don't age well.

RMR 03-31-2014 10:26 PM

SUV and Automatic? Get the best.......Toyota Land Cruiser.

ZBB 03-31-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMR (Post 411101)
SUV and Automatic? Get the best.......Toyota Land Cruiser.

Real Land Cruisers have a 3-on-the-tree :D

SCA 05-07-2014 09:07 PM

'14 4Runner. As much as everyone bashes Toyota on the 'Mudge' my experience with Toyota over the past seven years has far exceeded any ownership experience I have had with BMW or Honda (Acura). The vehicle has only required gas and oil/filter changes ($45 @ the dealer) in 7 years. It gets me to point A & B and then back. The driving experience is moot... it is 'basic' transportation.

ff 05-07-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 414271)
'14 4Runner. As much as everyone bashes Toyota on the 'Mudge' my experience with Toyota over the past eight years has far exceeded any ownership experience I have had with BMW or Honda (Acura). The vehicle has only required gas and oil/filter changes ($45 @ the dealer) in 8 years. It gets me to point A & B and then back. The driving experience is moot... it is 'basic' transportation.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the '14. The experience with our 08 4Runner was equally favorable. Quite literally, oil + gas + a new set of tires was all that it required in 65,000 miles of driving. Pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. Then we traded it in for about $5K less than we paid for it brand new (seriously), which baffled me. Sans the S2000, and all things considered, that was the best ownership experience that I've had.

Anyhow, the only thing that keeps me from seriously considering the new 4Runner as a future replacement for my wife's primary vehicle, is the lack of a V8 option. 4500 lbs seems like a lot of weight for a V6 to pull around. Though I assume it must be at least adequate, or you probably wouldn't have bought one. :cool:

SCA 05-07-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 414275)
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the '14. The experience with our 08 4Runner was equally favorable. Quite literally, oil + gas + a new set of tires was all that it required in 65,000 miles of driving. Pretty ridiculous, when you think about it. Then we traded it in for about $5K less than we paid for it brand new (seriously), which baffled me. Sans the S2000, and all things considered, that was the best ownership experience that I've had.

Anyhow, the only thing that keeps me from seriously considering the new 4Runner as a future replacement for my wife's primary vehicle, is the lack of a V8 option. 4500 lbs seems like a lot of weight for a V6 to pull around. Though I assume it must be at least adequate, or you probably wouldn't have bought one. :cool:

ff, given what I paid for it new and what the buyer is purchasing it for nearly 7 years later, the loss is not substantial. No brainer not to purchase another one.

BTW, my '07 4R has the V6, I have never had any issues with towing & etc. A relative has an '05 V8. I have driven it multiple times, I am not impressed. Simply put, Meh... The V6 is enough.

bren 05-08-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 414284)
Simply put, Meh...

So, yeah, basically how one would describe any Toyota. :D

John V 05-08-2014 11:06 AM

The 4Runner is one of the vehicles that supposedly Toyota did a really good job with. I don't personally understand the point of them, but people who like them really like them.

bren 05-08-2014 11:13 AM

People really like the Camry too....

JST 05-08-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 414320)
People really like the Camry too....

The 4Runner is also grounded to the ground, and has the sleekness.

ff 05-08-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 414314)
I don't personally understand the point of them

Not at all? Given that logic, one could just as easily say that they don't understand the point of any vehicle.

Rob 05-08-2014 06:11 PM

Our Sienna (granted, not a 4-runner) needed an airbag system repair ($1800), catalytic converter replacement (about $800), a touch screen replacement ($2800 or $3800, can't remember which), very early belt replacement (caused by a sleeping squirrel in the engine and they didn't charge for squirrel removal, so I guess that was nice) and a few other odds and ends. Oh right, when we traded it in, I wasn't sure if the transmission was going to make it to the dealer. I think it had 117k miles. The extended warranty we luckily purchased covered most of it, thankfully. Regardless, I hardly see this as an ownership experience that would bring me back to a brand that sucks your soul out of your nose while you drive down the road.

SCA 05-08-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 414383)
Our Sienna (granted, not a 4-runner) needed an airbag system repair ($1800), catalytic converter replacement (about $800), a touch screen replacement ($2800 or $3800, can't remember which), very early belt replacement (caused by a sleeping squirrel in the engine and they didn't charge for squirrel removal, so I guess that was nice) and a few other odds and ends. Oh right, when we traded it in, I wasn't sure if the transmission was going to make it to the dealer. I think it had 117k miles. The extended warranty we luckily purchased covered most of it, thankfully. Regardless, I hardly see this as an ownership experience that would bring me back to a brand that sucks your soul out of your nose while you drive down the road.

Interesting... sounds a lot like a late model BMW. Guessing the Sienna is NA built & part sourced? :dunno:

Alan 05-10-2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 410987)
. I have something in the works, a new auto purchase, but it goes against the 'code' of a mudgeon.

Wouldn't going against the 'code' still leave like a choice of 99% of all cars out there :D

John V 05-10-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 414323)
Not at all? Given that logic, one could just as easily say that they don't understand the point of any vehicle.

What?

Here's what I don't understand about them. For a people hauler or daily driver, why buy an inefficient, heavy, ponderous body-on-frame truck? A lighter unibody style crossover / SUV makes a lot more sense. If you're towing, the 4Runner sucks at that compared to something like a Tahoe or a crew cab pickup truck. A local couple that we race with bought one, towed a 2,000lb miata with it for a year and sold it to get a Ram, because it truly sucked. Soft suspension, no power, etc.

Not to mention... holy mother of god is it ugly.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/roadte...-in-motion.jpg

SCA 05-10-2014 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 414492)
What?

Here's what I don't understand about them. For a people hauler or daily driver, why buy an inefficient, heavy, ponderous body-on-frame truck? A lighter unibody style crossover / SUV makes a lot more sense. If you're towing, the 4Runner sucks at that compared to something like a Tahoe or a crew cab pickup truck. A local couple that we race with bought one, towed a 2,000lb miata with it for a year and sold it to get a Ram, because it truly sucked. Soft suspension, no power, etc.

The SR5 & Trail front end are horrible. The Limited is livable.

Alan 05-10-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 414323)

Exactly :thumbup:

Quote:

What?

]

The answer is simple as can be ... Everyone has their own tastes

Why do people buy sports cars, why do people buy sedans, why do people buy suv's, why a 2 door, why a 4 door, why red, why white, etc. Etc. ...

clyde 05-10-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

What?

A neighbor/friend bought a new 4Runner about two years ago to replace his Murano. He was mad at and hated the Murano. Not for the awful CVT in the Murano. Not the horrible ergonomics that make them painful to spend time in. Not the terrible driving dynamics. Not any of the infinite number of things that were actually bad about the vehicle. He hated it because he got stuck in the snow with it once. In his driveway. At the time, he had not quite bald, but worn snow tires. I think that storm produced about five inches of snow. And he was stuck in his driveway.

The only thing he cared about was feeling like he would be unstoppable in the snow. I suggested snow tires and offered to change them in fall and spring in exchange for a beer each time. "No. I have to get rid of that awful thing." He looked at Scoobies, Audis, BMW Xx, shunned domestics, refused Nissan products because they made the Murano. And he loves his 4Runner now.

I don't really get it either. I just acknowledge it. :dunno:

John V 05-10-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 414501)
Exactly :thumbup:

The answer is simple as can be ... Everyone has their own tastes

Why do people buy sports cars, why do people buy sedans, why do people buy suv's, why a 2 door, why a 4 door, why red, why white, etc. Etc. ...

Why do some people beat their wives? Because they like to, and everyone has their own taste.

Alan 05-11-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 414513)
Why do some people beat their wives? Because they like to, and everyone has their own taste.

Committing a crime and assaulting another individual has nothing to do with having different tastes ... I'm no psychiatrist but I would think 'liking it' has very little to do with why a person would do such a horrible thing either ...

ff 05-11-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Here's what I don't understand about them. For a people hauler or daily driver, why buy an inefficient, heavy, ponderous body-on-frame truck? A lighter unibody style crossover / SUV makes a lot more sense. If you're towing, the 4Runner sucks at that compared to something like a Tahoe or a crew cab pickup truck.

That lighter crossover makes more sense for some people. But good luck towing much of anything with it. Or traveling off the pavement.

The 4Runner has quite a bit more compact dimensions than that Tahoe or crew cab. And better fuel economy. And usually, I'll bet, a lot less expensive to maintain.

There are plenty of reasons to choose the 4Runner over a shitty crossover or clumsy Tahoe/pickup. Depends upon what you need and desire.

John V 05-12-2014 05:55 AM

So it's for the person who wants a vehicle that can do it all... badly.

SARAFIL 05-12-2014 08:51 AM

I don't understand why some people in this thread are being jackasses about "if I don't see the point of this car, I don't know why anyone would buy it?" and the spousal abuse comparison is just disgusting. Come on folks, let's be adults. You don't like a certain vehicle or brand, don't buy it. There are tons of people out there that have no desire to own the cars that you drive also and that doesn't automatically make them "wrong".