carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   WDC's Practical Car Perseveration (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159453)

wdc330i 06-04-2020 03:47 PM

WDC's Practical Car Perseveration

So, whenever I get it in my head that a souped-up SUV can replace my RWD 2 Series, please remind me that's stupid.

Drove the X3M on the idea that with all its performance tech maybe it could be a single car solution. Blech. Heavy, laborious, stiff, jarring, and not fun IN THE LEAST. Wow. And mucho dinero. I much prefer just the plain Jane X3M40i.

So, I think to myself, go smaller/cheaper and keep the 2. And I drive the X1 again. In the AWD version, but without sport suspension. Snore. Why spend that kind of coin on an appliance? The ride was pretty unrefined and the interior pretty low-brow. Might as well just buy the Mazda CX5 and call it a day.

I need to drive the Mazda and A4 wagon again, maybe also some kind of Mini. But, I think I need to face the fact that there is no one-car solution that will combine driving delight with 5-door practicality.

wdc330i 06-04-2020 03:54 PM

2017 X3 35i. Nicely optioned with sport package but not sport suspension. But what's with all these Florida cars that have no seat heaters??????

https://www.nalleybmw.com/certified/...6cd9dd2f74.htm

jpgurl 06-04-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 559872)
But, I think I need to face the fact that there is no one-car solution that will combine driving delight with 5-door practicality.

JCW Mini Cooper 5-door :dunno:

Edit: Nevermind. The only JCWs with extra doors these days is the Clubman or Countryman.

Alan 06-04-2020 06:08 PM

Have you considered the Acura RDX ... it has really good write ups ... In regards to Mazda’s they have always been good fun to drive vehicles ... I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a great vehicle.

I do agree there is no one car solution unless you possibly are ok with the size of the A4 .... I loved my daughters A4 ... definitely a great car.

How often do you think you need the utility of an SUV ...just wondering why you think you need one so badly.

wdc330i 06-04-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 559888)
Have you considered the Acura RDX ... it has really good write ups ... In regards to Mazda’s they have always been good fun to drive vehicles ... I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a great vehicle.

I do agree there is no one car solution unless you possibly are ok with the size of the A4 .... I loved my daughters A4 ... definitely a great car.

How often do you think you need the utility of an SUV ...just wondering why you think you need one so badly.

May have to try the RDX. They do look great. I have 110 pounds of dogs to shuttle back and forth several times a week—and it’s miserable getting them in the back of a 2 seater. If it were a four door, it would not be as much of a hassle.

A little hot hatch might do fine as the second car.

Josh (PA) 06-04-2020 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
good that you drove a couple of things and have a better idea of what you might like. I still suggest you keep the 2er and get a cheap beater. You're not going to find a wagon/SUV that will bring you joy like a vert. They don't exist.

I really think a used Clubman is the right fit for you. If you're against that, an E91 would work well. As an FYI, my son, who is 6ft 1 at 14yrs old, prefers the e46 wagon back seat to the X5 because it doesn't make him carsick. I don't think the e91 wagon would be too small for what you describe your use case. I take the e46 over the x5 every opportunity I have.

Go cheap, find something that is servicable and you don't worry when it gets dinged, teach your son to drive on it and enjoy the 2er for the times you want to drive. There is a ton of relief to having a beater.

(Gratuitous pic of my son from my daughter's college graduation on Memorial Day weekend, to get an idea of his scale).

Her Boyfriend is on the left, he plays college B-Ball and is 6'5, Britt then Nate.

Alan 06-04-2020 09:43 PM

Great pic Josh ..

Not sure if others here saw but after Memorial Day the numbers for covid 19 jumped ...At least here on Long Island.

Am I the only one worried about this ?

wdc330i 06-04-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 559896)
good that you drove a couple of things and have a better idea of what you might like. I still suggest you keep the 2er and get a cheap beater. You're not going to find a wagon/SUV that will bring you joy like a vert. They don't exist.

I really think a used Clubman is the right fit for you. If you're against that, an E91 would work well. As an FYI, my son, who is 6ft 1 at 14yrs old, prefers the e46 wagon back seat to the X5 because it doesn't make him carsick. I don't think the e91 wagon would be too small for what you describe your use case. I take the e46 over the x5 every opportunity I have.

Go cheap, find something that is servicable and you don't worry when it gets dinged, teach your son to drive on it and enjoy the 2er for the times you want to drive. There is a ton of relief to having a beater.

(Gratuitous pic of my son from my daughter's college graduation on Memorial Day weekend, to get an idea of his scale).

Her Boyfriend is on the left, he plays college B-Ball and is 6'5, Britt then Nate.

I know you are right. And, whoa, your son is a giant! My son just turned 14 and is over 5’10”. I don’t think he’s done yet...

BTW, I’m wary of the old cars. I need to find a reliable local independent mechanic before I have a comfort level with the old, off-warranty cars...

Josh (PA) 06-08-2020 09:44 PM

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1197871

interesting option...
Edit: i didn't notice the mileage, kind of high but with CPO and how little you'll probably be driving maybe it won't matter.

wdc330i 06-09-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 560106)
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1197871

interesting option...
Edit: i didn't notice the mileage, kind of high but with CPO and how little you'll probably be driving maybe it won't matter.

If I’m going old high mileage Cayenne, I’m looking for a stick. :lol:

I wish I could rent a stick for awhile to see how much it hurts or does not hurt my bad left knee.