carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Returning eGolf/winter tires for Miata (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=156992)

FC 11-29-2018 01:06 PM

Returning eGolf/winter tires for Miata

The eGolf goes back in January. More and more, my wife and I are rejecting the idea of keeping it as a 4th car. Insurance is still ~$1k, and at $13k buy-out, it's not THAT cheap. More importantly, it's kinda silly for us to have 4 cars - especially one that is still depreciating, not entirely reliable (modern VW) and a 1st year car with a bunch of new electric technology.

As a result, the plan, which I may have articulated here before, is to equip the Miata with winter tires to handle crappy winter commute days (not days with a lot of snow, just slushy, wet, gross days). The M3 would still be used in winter, but ideally only on dry, cold days to spare it from excessive sand/salt. Of course, the LR4 would always be available as the other winter car.

I'm annoyed that I cannot find a set of used winter and/or tires for the Miata, so now I am forced to drop nearly $1k on wheels and tires.

I see no reason to not step down a wheel size to 16", but I am curious as to what you guys think for the tires. Stock tires size is 205/45 R17.

I'm inclined to go with Blizzak WS80's in 195/55 R16. They are a bit narrower with really aggressive snow traction.

Other options are Michelin X-Ice XI3 in 205/50 R16.

Outside of Tire Rack, I can also get Hakka R3's in 195/55 R16, but don't know how much they are.

Thoughts about any of the above?

wdc330i 11-29-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 542355)
The eGolf goes back in January. More and more, my wife and I are rejecting the idea of keeping it as a 4th car. Insurance is still ~$1k, and at $13k buy-out, it's not THAT cheap. More importantly, it's kinda silly for us to have 4 cars - especially one that is still depreciating, not entirely reliable (modern VW) and a 1st year car with a bunch of new electric technology.

As a result, the plan, which I may have articulated here before, is to equip the Miata with winter tires to handle crappy winter commute days (not days with a lot of snow, just slushy, wet, gross days). The M3 would still be used in winter, but ideally only on dry, cold days to spare it from excessive sand/salt. Of course, the LR4 would always be available as the other winter car.

I'm annoyed that I cannot find a set of used winter and/or tires for the Miata, so now I am forced to drop nearly $1k on wheels and tires.

I see no reason to not step down a wheel size to 16", but I am curious as to what you guys think for the tires. Stock tires size is 205/45 R17.

I'm inclined to go with Blizzak WS80's in 195/55 R16. They are a bit narrower with really aggressive snow traction.

Other options are Michelin X-Ice XI3 in 205/50 R16.

Outside of Tire Rack, I can also get Hakka R3's in 195/55 R16, but don't know how much they are.

Thoughts about any of the above?

Didn't we just have a relevant Rumatt thread?

Alan 11-29-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 542355)

Sorry I don't have a suggestion on winter tires but am curious ... how much was the egolf new and what is the year and miles ?

FC 11-29-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 542361)
Sorry I don't have a suggestion on winter tires but am curious ... how much was the egolf new and what is the year and miles ?

It's a 2015 Model year with (currently) 20,200 miles. It will probably be around 21k miles at lease return.

I think MSRP new was upper 30's. $38k or so, IIRC. Our eGolf was the high-end trim with all the bells and whistles.

My lease started at the end of January and it it $280/month all-in but that doesn't include the $2500 cash I got back from the state. It was a 3-year/30k lease. We should have gone with the 7k/year lease but didn't know where my wife would end up job-wise so we played it safe.

Buy-out is $13k.

FC 11-29-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 542360)
Didn't we just have a relevant Rumatt thread?

I know which tires are good. I wanted your thoughts on if you think going with tires that optimize winter traction make sense vs something slightly more sporty.

Josh (PA) 11-29-2018 02:15 PM

how often do you drive the Miata for pleasure. Has that changed with the M3? If you're primarily using the M3 for driving and only going to use the Miata on crappy days when the wife is using the LR4, I'd go all in on Hakkas and maximize your ability to get around in the snow.

Also with your lift and tools, it would be a 20 min job to swap them on when the need arises and if they're annoying put the other set back on for a long weekend.

FC 11-29-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 542366)
how often do you drive the Miata for pleasure. Has that changed with the M3? If you're primarily using the M3 for driving and only going to use the Miata on crappy days when the wife is using the LR4, I'd go all in on Hakkas and maximize your ability to get around in the snow.

Also with your lift and tools, it would be a 20 min job to swap them on when the need arises and if they're annoying put the other set back on for a long weekend.

The bolded statement above is true, which is why that was my line of thinking.

So I am not crazy. Thanks.

Biggins 11-29-2018 02:31 PM

I would return the VW and get Blizzaks for the Miata... can you just work from home or avoid driving anything other than the Land Rover in the snow when it's that bad? I realize you guys get lots more snow than here and snow can be on the road for a while.

Josh (PA) 11-29-2018 02:38 PM

My experience is the Hakkas are significantly better than Blizzaks in bad weather. They are very loud though. A friend just put Conti Wintercontact SI on his Q5 and I was shocked how quiet they are. The reality is the Miata is super loud anyway (compared to say a Q5) and will need all the winter traction help it can get. I don't see what the Blizzaks would bring to the table incrementally that would change the personality of a winter Miata enough to give up max traction

wdc330i 11-29-2018 02:53 PM

I'd also go for best traction. But frankly, I'd hate to drive the Miata in the snow; something sets off "Death Trap" alarm bells for me...