carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   The Marketplace (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Vacation Rental (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=104952)

Josh (PA) 03-29-2015 10:09 AM

Vacation Rental

1 Attachment(s)
We're considering renting our Lake House to select friends, family and trusted acquaintances. It's kind of strange that I consider the core members of this board as friends/trusted acquaintances considering I've met very few of you in person, but I spend more online time with you guys than most of my local friends.

Anyway, attached is a brochure I put together for it. We'll be open to renting it a few weeks in June/August this year as well as non-summer time. Once the girls start college (and college expenses) we'll rent it more. This year, we just want to see how it goes.

If you have any brochure feedback I'd be interested in that also.

kognito 03-29-2015 01:30 PM

Very nice brochure!

We are on the wrong coast now to consider this, but when I lived in NJ I always loved that part on NY

Is it ok to send the pdf to a few of my close friends? I'll make sure they reference me

Josh (PA) 03-29-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 447441)
Very nice brochure!

We are on the wrong coast now to consider this, but when I lived in NJ I always loved that part on NY

Is it ok to send the pdf to a few of my close friends? I'll make sure they reference me

Thanks. If you'd trust them with your own house, i'm comfortable with you sharing it.

Terri Kennedy 03-29-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 447429)
If you have any brochure feedback I'd be interested in that also.

I'd suggest swapping "The Lake" and "Interior/Exterior Home" sections.

While it is true that the lake is the major selling point, when Sue and I look at a listing, the first thing we look for is whether or not the house is a good fit in terms of amenities, etc. This also seems to be the way listings on VRBO, Homeaway, etc. are organized.

You might want to add some more pictures of the interior / exterior. I'd suggest some wider angle shots as well. Also, some off-season pictures (winter with snow is always a good choice).

Specify whether linens / towels are included.

Consider offering a discount for a week-long stay.

Are pets allowed? Any restrictions (small dogs only, for example)? Any additional security deposit?

Probably want to state "non-smoking" if that is the case - these usually have a note like "but smoking on open deck is OK".

Another thing you'll want to think about is insurance that covers using your property as a rental (both for damage to the property and injury to the renters).

Josh (PA) 03-29-2015 07:14 PM

Thanks Terry,

good feedback.

wdc330i 03-31-2015 01:41 PM

I completely agree with thorough, LARGE, wide-angle photos of the interior of the house--living area, kitchen, bedrooms. I'd also include some photography that shows the interior's sight lines to the view. People want to know what they'll be seeing from within the house.

With all photos, bigger is better.

Looks like a really fun house!