carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chevy Colorado (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=147258)

bren 03-30-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526438)
I'll probably just get a tonneau cover....

I'd take a good look at one of the hard folding-panel types, like the Bakflip.

rumatt 03-31-2018 12:29 AM

Yeah I started looking at tonneau covers and there are so damn many... I decided I'd take my time and figure it out later.

3LOU5 03-31-2018 02:17 AM

Tonneau cover, schmonneau cover.

I'm partial to this..

I have one on my Silverado, and it's way more useful, imo.

rumatt 03-31-2018 06:46 AM

I was actually thinking about that.

It them when you do want to put something tall in it, it's a giant pain km the ass.

I'm going to get nothing for a while and see what inspires me.

bren 03-31-2018 08:49 AM

I have a cap now, it's not what you want. You want the folding hard panel. They secure what's in the bed, and you don't have to remove it if you have something large.

rumatt 03-31-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 526456)
I have a cap now, it's not what you want. You want the folding hard panel. They secure what's in the bed, and you don't have to remove it if you have something large.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I agree.

People seem to like the fold-a-cover because it has 4 panels so you get access to 75% of the bed without having to remove it. But it doesn't flip up to give you that last 25. You have to remove 4 bolts to get it off

wdc330i 03-31-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526459)

People seem to like the fold-a-cover because it has 4 panels so you get access to 75% of the bed without having to remove it. But it doesn't flip up to give you that last 25. You have to remove 4 bolts to get it off

My FIL has sliding cover on the track. Seems to work fine.

bren 03-31-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 526459)

I have one like that too, but on mine you just flip a couple levers to remove it. After you remove it though, you have to store it somewhere.... Get a Bakflip style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 526464)
My FIL has sliding cover on the track. Seems to work fine.

That kind is too easy to cut into.

John V 04-01-2018 03:34 PM

Matt, you may consider just calling Strano. He sells all the tonneau covers and caps and can steer you in the right direction.

I had a snap-style soft tonneau on my Silverado (previous owner bought it). I liked it, but it doesn't offer any security. I just never left anything of value in the bed if the truck was going to be parked outside. It wouldn't be my first choice.

The Ram has a Leer cap. It's nice for hauling stuff for racing, and it locks, but it would be pretty easy to break into if one were motivated. Not sure it gets much more secure than that. The main downside is hauling a load of mulch, gravel, etc... you have to take the cap off. Which is annoying, because it's heavy as hell. And then you need to put it somewhere.

Kevin has the sliding roll-up style hard cover. Pull a latch and push it and it retracts to the base of the cab. I think I like this style the best, but he can't haul nearly the amount of stuff in the bed that I can.

Big Mike has the panel-style fold-up tonneau. I like this style the least because the internal latches take up room in the bed, tend to get caught on stuff, and it doesn't offer any more security than a regular tonneau.

clyde 04-01-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 526490)
The main downside is hauling a load of mulch, gravel, etc... you have to take the cap off. Which is annoying, because it's heavy as hell. And then you need to put it somewhere.

Aren't there lift systems to help with both those issues?