carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I want a truck (I think?) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=140472)

rumatt 10-15-2017 11:56 PM

I want a truck (I think?)

I keep wanting a truck. 3 times in the past 3 months I've wanted to have a truck to haul shit. Home ownership is a bitch.

The problem is I need to sell 1 or more cars to accomplish this.

Option 1: Sell E91 wagon. Own: E46, Cayman, Truck

The truck would need to be reasonable to drive any time it might snow. I kind of want a Colorado or Tacoma, but the 2017 Ridgeline :ack: is the most car-like and actually has the more reasonable AWD system for snowy roads. But they're all too expensive for me if I keep the Porsche.

My neighbor has a 2012 Tacoma with a manual transmission. It's a cute little truck that I could see owning, but the 4WD system is lame. It's basically 2wd: a locked center diff with open front and rear differentials. Good enough for snow? Maybe, but a step down from any modern AWD system, so I could see myself wanting to keep the wagon.

Option 2: Sell Cayman. Own: E46, E91 Wagon, Truck

I'm finding myself more and more thinking that sports cars are dumb. Where I live, anyway. The Cayman is awesome, but it's like driving an F1 car at 25 MPH. I keep feeling like I'm using 10% of the car's potential 95% of the time. I take joy in owning the right tool for the job, and the Cayman rarely feels like the right tool for my day to day activities. I don't get excited to drive it to work often, and when I do I end up driving way too fast.

In this scenario I'd be keeping the wagon so the truck's 4wd snow performance wouldn't be important. I could buy any old cheap truck for hauling shit. But with the truck always clogging up my driveway and rarely being driven, I'm pretty sure I'd be asking myself over and over, do I really need a truck AND a wagon???

Option 3. Sell Porsche AND wagon. Own: E46 + Truck

If I could find a truck that I was happy to drive in the winter, I could go down to 2 cars. This would make me very excited because I have a 2 car garage, and my driveway makes parking a 3rd car annoying. And for a winter vehicle, the Ridgeline :ack: is actually winning due to the reasons above.

But shit, I can't get excited about a Ridgeline. Should I go for a Raptor? So I can drive it around in 2-inches of snow and feel manly? :bustingup or maybe a Colorado ZR2

John V 10-16-2017 07:03 AM

Dude.
I

Uh

WTF

JST 10-16-2017 07:50 AM

The wagon is basically a truck already, so it seems to me that if you want to get a truck you should sell that.

When you say "haul shit" I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you need (or think you need?) a pickup truck. At the same time, maybe something with an enclosed back end would be useful for biking related tasks? And are you sure a utility trailer and a hitch for the wagon isn't enough?

In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this. https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/14...3a1-scout-car/

I was going to say that the new Jeep pickup thing is on the horizon, and I'd wait and see what that looks like. With a cap on it, it might serve more than one purpose. But checking it looks like production isn't going to start until 2019.

If you want to sell the Porsche, that makes sense, but I wouldn't replace it with a truck. I would replace the wagon with a truck and then make the choice about the truck at some point in the future.

rumatt 10-16-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 514060)
Dude.
I

Uh

WTF

Was it the dissing sports cars... or considering a Ridgeline that did it?. :D

I want a Colorado the most. Or a manual transmission Tacoma. But they have their own issues.

Odds of me ending up with a truck are low. Can't come up with a plan I'm happy with.

rumatt 10-16-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 514061)
The wagon is basically a truck already, so it seems to me that if you want to get a truck you should sell that.

Makes sense. I just don't have a lot of budget left for a fancy truck if I keep the Cayman. It would have to be cheap-ish, and still be my winter car.

Quote:

When you say "haul shit" I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you need (or think you need?) a pickup truck.
The latest was that I was offered some free firewood. I'm considering renting a home Depot truck... Or tossing it in the back of the wagon and see if I break a spring.

Quote:

In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this.
Perfect.

wdc330i 10-16-2017 08:15 AM

A hitch and small utility trailer for the wagon make the most sense.

But, yeah, I want a truck, too.

A Ridgeline is a very sensible crossover Swiss Army knife thing. My MIL had one. But it’s not really a truck, so it might not scratch the deeper itch.

FIL has a Ram; that is a real truck. It does not fit in his garage.

We’re strunggling with how to schlep the tandem kayak we just bought, along with bicycles and a roofbox. We have a hitch on the X, so I’m eyeing trailers as well. We have a hitch-mounted bike rack and a J-rack for the kayak on the roof bar. But the kayak is a PITA to hoist onto the roof rack. And who wants to drive on the highway towing anything? Blah blah. Stuck.

Plaz 10-16-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 514061)
In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this. https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/14...3a1-scout-car/

:lol:

rumatt 10-16-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514065)
But the kayak is a PITA to hoist onto the roof rack. And who wants to drive on the highway towing anything? Blah blah. Stuck.

A friend of mine was having trouble getting her kayak onto the roof of her Subaru. She said she bought a different rack with rollers on the back and she loves it. She loads it from the back of the car and once it's on the rollers she can just walk it forward.

But she also mentioned that it ends up touching the car before hitting the rollers and that sounded awful to me - so maybe these suck. :dunno:

wdc330i 10-16-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514067)
A friend of mine was having trouble getting her kayak onto the roof of her Subaru. She said she bought a different rack with rollers on the back and she loves it. She loads it from the back of the car and once it's on the rollers she can just walk it forward.

But she also mentioned that it ends up touching the car before hitting the rollers and that sounded awful to me - so maybe these suck. :dunno:

That would be perfect, but we have flush rails and Thule Aerobars, which preclude using any of the racks with rollers or hoists. There is a hoist gizmo that uses the hitch, so we may look into that. Something like this, but I hope less expensive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SA8JGIG?psc=1 because trailers aren't much more and would offer the advantage of hauling another kayak or more stuff.

3LOU5 10-16-2017 09:44 AM

U-Haul pickup.

$19.99/day.

Done.

:D