carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How / Where would I sell a Corvette? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=136888)

Josh (PA) 06-24-2017 10:14 AM

How / Where would I sell a Corvette?

You guys are always the best resource for these kind of questions:

my FIL has a really clean, really well maintained 1995 ( I think, it has the zr-1 rear end treatment) C4 w/ 6sp manual that he has asked me to sell this summer. He bought it for himself as a retirement present a few years ago, but hasn't gotten much enjoyment out of it because he's afraid something will happen to it whenever he drives it, so he just washes it and puts it back in the garage then gets annoyed that he has cash locked up in it...

Anyway, he's going to bring it down to my place so I can document it and get it online to sell. I'll list it high at first, he's not in a hurry to see it go so I have time to get fair $$$. What are the best places to put a corvette up for sale? I always have good luck on brand specific message boards, what ones would have the best C4 following?

I don't think it is rare enough or special enough for BAT.

Thoughts? Thanks

JST 06-24-2017 10:54 AM

I actually think BaT might be a good choice. The 6M makes it interesting.

I haven't tracked Corvette values, so I don't know if they have the same audience over there that 911s do, but my guess is that if you list it there and are willing to stay engaged as the seller ('s agent), you'll do well.

bren 06-24-2017 11:15 AM

There's nothing really collectible or anything about a 95. Unless it is a zr1, and then you should just keep it. C4's in general aren't exactly sought after, and most vettes are garage queens so finding a clean one isn't really that hard.

As far as forums, your best bet for the bulk of enthusiasts is probably at corvetteforum

I would suggest your best marketing plan is most likely to park it at a busy intersection or car show. Something like that might get an old guy to splurge on a nice summer day.

Otherwise just auction it - BAT or eBay.

Josh (PA) 06-24-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 506969)
There's nothing really collectible or anything about a 95. Unless it is a zr1, and then you should just keep it. C4's in general aren't exactly sought after, and most vettes are garage queens so finding a clean one isn't really that hard.

As far as forums, your best bet for the bulk of enthusiasts is probably at corvetteforum

I would suggest your best marketing plan is most likely to park it at a busy intersection or car show. Something like that might get an old guy to splurge on a nice summer day.

Otherwise just auction it - BAT or eBay.

Thanks, my initial research jives with your comments. Other than the transmission, there are a number of C4s in similar general condition to his.

I'm trying to convince him to stop obsessing over it and start driving and enjoying it, but unfortunately i'm not having much luck.

If I could get him to bring it up to the lake, I could park it in Watkins Glen on the weekends. There are always corvette groups in town. That would be the ideal audience.

clyde 06-24-2017 04:05 PM

Ask him if he's interested in trading for an XK8.

Ditto everything Bren said. Corvetteforum.com is the one and only Corvette Forum that matters.

Alan 06-25-2017 01:31 PM

Josh what are the details of the Corvette ... how many miles, color, price ...

I had a 95 back in the day and loved that car though I sold it in 96. I remember I had to keep a portable power screw driver with a bit to get the roof off. Much easier then the hand held tool that came with the car.

I would recommend eBay and also Corvette forum. I sold my 2006 Corvette literally within hours of listing it in Corvetteforum.com to a dealer who specializes in Corvettes bought it.

bren 06-25-2017 01:44 PM

This is timely for this thread.

http://jalopnik.com/i-have-no-idea-w...nev-1796397349

rumatt 06-25-2017 07:09 PM

Is the phenomenon really worse than any other sports car? :dunno:

bren 06-25-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 507020)
Is the phenomenon really worse than any other sports car? :dunno:

Yes. You can sell a high mileage, tracked 911. Good luck doing so with a Vette.

rumatt 06-25-2017 07:40 PM

Right. I felt like this paragraph got it backwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 507023)
Chevrolet made thousands of Corvettes, and since a ton of them are barely driven, your low-mileage example isn’t going to be some sought-after specimen.

If there are so many low mileage vettes, putting miles on yours *will* make a big difference in resale.

Josh (PA) 06-27-2017 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here it is:

It is a pretty car and in really good shape. My FIL brought it down last night. I took all the pics this evening and will put the for sale ad together this week. I registered at corvette forum and will post it there first.
I'm going to list it at $14,500 and see if there is any interest. That's probably on the high side, but i'm trying to minimize my FIL losses on it.

kognito 06-27-2017 06:50 PM

Can't put my finger on it, but something about the picture you posted looks Pshoped, Josh. (maybe because the tires are on pavement)

GLWS

Alan 06-27-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 507161)
Can't put my finger on it, but something about the picture you posted looks Pshoped, Josh. (maybe because the tires are on pavement)

GLWS

I thought the same thing but knowing josh I just thought he must have an incredible camera.

Beautiful car and the color combo is so fitting for a father in law or should I say a gentleman a generation higher than us ... my dad had a 2008 Corvette in the same color combo ... sadly he only got to enjoy it for a little over a year before he passed ...

Josh she is a beauty and between the color combo and the manual I think you'll get a quick sale !!

bren 06-27-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 507158)
I'm going to list it at $14,500

Doesn't hurt to try, but that is solid C5 territory.

Make sure you have a pic of the options sticker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 507167)
...the color combo is so fitting for a father in law or should I say a gentleman a generation higher than us ...

:lol:

My father keeps saying he wants a c7 in this very color combo.

Josh (PA) 06-27-2017 09:51 PM

@ bren - yep that's my fear. I think if i wanted it to sell quick I would have to price it close to $10k

@AF - That expensive camera was my blackberry, about the worst camera you can get your hands on. the color is sharp on that car, I'm hoping it sucks in some rich old guy who wants to relive the '90s.

Here is the album of all the photos from today. i need to edit some, but it will give you an idea:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshcl...57682776366043

bren 06-27-2017 10:32 PM

The options sticker should be under the arm rest lid.

wdc330i 06-27-2017 11:22 PM

At that price, I'm not really sure why he doesn't drive it and enjoy it...:dunno:

rumatt 06-28-2017 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 507167)
Beautiful car and the color combo is so fitting for a father in law or should I say a gentleman a generation higher than us

Earlier today I was going to post that I really liked the color combo. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 507172)
Doesn't hurt to try, but that is solid C5 territory.

You can get a C5 for 15k?!?

clyde 06-28-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 507177)
You can get a C5 for 15k?!?

You can get a C5 Z06 for not much more than that, too.

clyde 06-28-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 507174)
The options sticker should be under the arm rest lid.

Best to include before they ask for it.

Josh (PA) 06-28-2017 07:23 AM

I have the original window sticker, options sheet, marketing brochure, maintenance records, owners manualetc. I need to get pics of them and add it to the album. I didn't have them with me last night.

Edit - here it is:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4260/3...aca17c35_z.jpg
1995 Corvette Build Sheet
by Josh, on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4240/3...059370d7_z.jpg
1995 Corvette Window Sticker
by Josh, on Flickr

wdc330i 06-28-2017 08:27 AM

Sweet. Has a cassette tape player for your favorite mix tapes :).

equ 06-28-2017 09:13 AM

That's an awesome example. Someone who is looking for that model is about to get very lucky.

bren 06-28-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 507180)
You can get a C5 Z06 for not much more than that, too.

Cheaper even.

https://images.autotrader.com/images..._A.544x408.jpg

Theo 06-28-2017 12:13 PM

That is an awesome example. Are those some type of extra charge sport seats. They look way better then the standard overstuffed lounge chairs normally in 80's-90's vettes.

bren 06-28-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 507208)
That is an awesome example. Are those some type of extra charge sport seats. They look way better then the standard overstuffed lounge chairs normally in 80's-90's vettes.

I don't have any experience in the C3, but C4 seats are far "better" than those in the later cars.

John V 06-28-2017 03:42 PM

You can easily get a C5 for $15k. A pretty nice non-Z06, actually. Performance bargain of the century.

Not a lot of Z06s exist at that price, and most of the ones I've seen have stories attached to them or have a lot of miles (neither is necessarily a bad thing depending what you want to do with it).

The tough thing for me about the C4 (non-ZR-1 anyway) is that it doesn't do anything better than a C5. The C5 is a better daily driver and it's a better performance car. You have to really want a C4 to go looking for a C4. For what it's worth, I really like the way they look, I guess because when I was growing up they seemed fairly exotic to me. Stylistically I think they've aged better than the C5.

Theo 06-28-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 507229)
For what it's worth, I really like the way they look, I guess because when I was growing up they seemed fairly exotic to me. Stylistically I think they've aged better than the C5.

Ditto

Alan 06-28-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 507173)
@ bren - yep that's my fear. I think if i wanted it to sell quick I would have to price it close to $10k

@AF - That expensive camera was my blackberry, about the worst camera you can get your hands on. the color is sharp on that car, I'm hoping it sucks in some rich old guy who wants to relive the '90s.

Here is the album of all the photos from today. i need to edit some, but it will give you an idea:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshcl...57682776366043

What's a blackberrry :lol: The car looks REALLY clean ... a real beauty ... I'd tell your father in law to keep it and enjoy it ... the plastic panels can't get dinged so what else can he worry about ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 507177)
Earlier today I was going to post that I really liked the color combo. :lol:

Matt I'm pretty sure you're younger than me ... maybe I just have a thing about Burgundy cars ... funny thing is I had a C5 Convertible anniversary model which had the same color combo as Josh's car... guess who gave be the best deal of my life on it ... my dad :lol: I'm not even sure I had to pay for it ...

Josh (PA) 06-28-2017 05:57 PM

I've really tried to convince him to just keep it and start enjoying it, but no luck. I've even sent pictures of Corvette Clubs driving around Watkins Glen, he just isn't comfortable with the car, so it's time for something else. The investment isn't a small one for them, he was a CDL driver for most of his life and my MIL was in customer service. This was a big deal when they bought it, so if the money can go into something they'd enjoy more, it is totally the right thing to do.

I made an official classified post here: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...42&postcount=1

but am happy to keep the discussion in this thread.

wdc330i 06-28-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 507243)
I've really tried to convince him to just keep it and start enjoying it, but no luck. I've even sent pictures of Corvette Clubs driving around Watkins Glen, he just isn't comfortable with the car, so it's time for something else. The investment isn't a small one for them, he was a CDL driver for most of his life and my MIL was in customer service. This was a big deal when they bought it, so if the money can go into something they'd enjoy more, it is totally the right thing to do.

I made an official classified post here: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...42&postcount=1

but am happy to keep the discussion in this thread.

Well, GLWS then. It's a beautiful car.

Josh (PA) 11-09-2017 01:05 PM

As posted in the classified thread. I got a call yesterday from a 67 yr old guy in West Palm Beach that is about to retire and wanted another corvette. He had cash in hand and wants to fly up this weekend and drive it home (from Reading PA to WP Florida). He offered $12,600 which is about $1500 more than I expected he'd be able to get. Hopefully it plays out, that would be awesome for everyone.

bren 11-09-2017 01:09 PM

Awesome. Congrats.

Someday I'll get mine back together. Hopefully.

Alan 11-09-2017 05:17 PM

That is good news, what source do you end up using for the sale ?

Josh (PA) 11-09-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 516118)
That is good news, what source do you end up using for the sale ?

He found it on corvetteforum.com that Clyde recommended (thanks Clyde) :grouphug:

Alan 11-09-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 516125)
He found it on corvetteforum.com that Clyde recommended (thanks Clyde) :grouphug:

That is a great forum I sold my 2006 Corvette on that forum back in 2009 ... it was sold in less than 24 hours.

Great recommendation by Clyde !!

clyde 11-10-2017 09:28 AM

That is the place for older than late model Corvettes.

Pending congrats on the sale.

Now, I need to fix and sell the Jaguar XK8.

Josh (PA) 11-12-2017 06:24 PM

He came, he loved it and he drove it home. Thanks Bren too, as I was reading back through this thread I saw you were first to point me to Corvetteforum....

Everyone involved in the sale is happy. My FIL and MIL like having cash in the bank. The guy from West Palm came up with his daughter, absolutely loved the car and are having a heck of a road trip home. Alls well that ends well.