carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Month end goals for dealerships and sales people (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=140955)

rumatt 10-29-2017 10:26 AM

Month end goals for dealerships and sales people

Do these actually help sell more cars? Are they good for the dealership? Are they good for anyone?

Saturday morning I stopped by a GMC dealership to drive a Canyon. I had completely forgotten that it was the 28th of the month.

The salesman was reasonably nice, and moderate-to-low on the sleazy scale. But once he figured out that I wasn't ready to buy this weekend he suddenly didn't have plates available for a road test. He explained how they were absolutely swamped because it's the end of the month and asked if I'd come back Monday. He has also previously dropped multiple hints about the month-old pressures they are all under.

Is this common? I felt bad for the guy and offered to come back another time. He didn't create the system, and I'm just kicking the tires on a key day that he's trying to make deals.

But I left thinking - this system is idiotic. They are sending customers away because of artificially created deadlines that have no benefit to the customer. Brilliant plan.

3LOU5 10-29-2017 11:15 AM

My suggestion is to schedule a test drive at the start of the month and in the middle of the week, then do your negotiating at the end of the month when they are looking to meet or exceed their sales quota.

bren 10-29-2017 11:19 AM

It's really hard to work on commission and not feel like you are wasting your time helping people who aren't buyers. I don't think it would've really mattered to that guy what day of the month it was, he'd convince himself that you are aren't worth his effort. Obviously, he's going to have to meet a quota next month also, why not lock in a valuable lead. Sounds like a crummy salesman.

rumatt 10-29-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 515168)
My suggestion is to schedule a test drive at the start of the month and in the middle of the week, then do your negotiating at the end of the month when they are looking to meet or exceed their sales quota.

Yeah if I has realized what day it was I wouldn't have gone.

But that's actually my point.. Is thst really what they want to accomplish?

I know deadlines make more people productive... But still. You should want to bring in customers any time you can.

rumatt 10-29-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 515169)
I don't think it would've really mattered to that guy what day of the month it was, he'd convince himself that you are aren't worth his effort.

No, not quite. He seemed pretty motivated to sell me a truck. As long as it was Monday or after. I suspect he'll follow up.

3LOU5 10-29-2017 04:24 PM

A 2017 Canyon ?? What trim level are looking to get ??

I've always liked the off-road package, though I suspect it would look rather odd if you don't do much off-roading, lol.

rumatt 10-29-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 515191)
A 2017 Canyon ?? What trim level are looking to get ??

I've always liked the off-road package, though I suspect it would look rather odd if you don't do much off-roading, lol.

At this point I'm trying to figure out how much I like/hate driving these. If I think I could enjoy it enough to use it as my only snow vehicle, I can ditch the wagon. In that case, I'd get a higher-end Colorado/Canyon, like the Off-road or the Colorado Z71 with leather seats. I don't need the off-road part, but the packages come with lots of other cool gizmos.

If I decide I want to keep the wagon for winter commuting, then I'll get a much cheaper beater truck. Or likely no truck, because I would really prefer to have just 2 vehicles.

wdc330i 10-29-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 515195)
At this point I'm trying to figure out how much I like/hate driving these. If I think I could enjoy it enough to use it as my only snow vehicle, I can ditch the wagon. In that case, I'd get a higher-end Colorado/Canyon, like the Off-road or the Colorado Z71 with leather seats. I don't need the off-road part, but the packages come with lots of other cool gizmos.

If I decide I want to keep the wagon for winter commuting, then I'll get a much cheaper beater truck. Or likely no truck, because I would really prefer to have just 2 vehicles.

Sounds like the Cayman is a goner....

John V 10-29-2017 06:19 PM

It's sort of infuriating to me that I can't just go online, spec out what I want, click "buy" and go pick it up without having to deal with anybody. But, dealerships are good for the consumer, y'all.

ZBB 10-29-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 515197)
It's sort of infuriating to me that I can't just go online, spec out what I want, click "buy" and go pick it up without having to deal with anybody. But, dealerships are good for the consumer, y'all.

That’s what I did :dunno:

:cool: