carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Brake pad recommendation needed please (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159740)

3LOU5 03-04-2021 02:22 PM

Brake pad recommendation needed please

It's time for me to replace my brake pads on my 3. I'm looking for ones that offer performance similar to the stock pads, but without all the dust. I know that you can't have one without the other, but I am willing to sacrifice stopping distance just so that I don't have to bend down and wash my rims every so often. It is a daily driver after all.

Any recommendations/experiences are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance ........

equ 03-04-2021 06:07 PM

But do you really want to sacrifice the bite & feel of your brakes? I've done only a few brake pad/rotor replacements and with bmw's always stayed OEM or OEM-supplier.

Likely someone here has a suggestion, but as you wrote, you may give up bite/feel for reducing dust.

Nick M3 03-04-2021 06:08 PM

I have had reasonably good experiences with the Textar aftermarket pads. Good bite, not as dusty.

Terri Kennedy 03-04-2021 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 570537)
Any recommendations/experiences are sincerely appreciated.

After trying a myriad of different pads, ranging from "Cool Carbon" to Pagid (I had a great discount on the Pagids as I ran the group buys for custom pads for the Atom), I gave up and went back to stock pads. I do run slotted/drilled rotors which are a good deal harder on pads. Any pad will gunk those up within around 20K miles, so I just stack up the used rotors and send them out for blanchard polishing a dozen at a time ever couple of years.

I have Type 73 wheels which are 20-spoke or thereabouts, so I know all about brake dust, believe me.:rolleyes:

3LOU5 03-06-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 570552)

Likely someone here has a suggestion, but as you wrote, you may give up bite/feel for reducing dust.

I'm actually good with that, as I absolutely HATE scrubbing my wheel even though they are only 5-spoke.

3LOU5 03-06-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 570553)
I have had reasonably good experiences with the Textar aftermarket pads. Good bite, not as dusty.

Thanks Nick, I'll research it further and see which website has the best prices on them.

Do you order your parts from Turner or Bavauto ?? ECS Tuning ????

3LOU5 03-06-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 570566)
After trying a myriad of different pads, ranging from "Cool Carbon" to Pagid (I had a great discount on the Pagids as I ran the group buys for custom pads for the Atom), I gave up and went back to stock pads. I do run slotted/drilled rotors which are a good deal harder on pads. Any pad will gunk those up within around 20K miles, so I just stack up the used rotors and send them out for blanchard polishing a dozen at a time ever couple of years.

I have Type 73 wheels which are 20-spoke or thereabouts, so I know all about brake dust, believe me.:rolleyes:

I only have this, and I STILL hate scrubbing them, LOL.

https://b.cdnbrm.com/autoanything-we...heels_hero.jpg

equ 03-06-2021 11:18 PM

FWIW, my last set of brakes for the 535i were Zimmerman rotors & Textar pads, came to about $600 in parts all around (it also had some high-speed sizing causing the additional price). OEM BMW would have been $1000 to 1100 and not necessarily better.

3LOU5 03-07-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 570631)
FWIW, my last set of brakes for the 535i were Zimmerman rotors & Textar pads, came to about $600 in parts all around (it also had some high-speed sizing causing the additional price). OEM BMW would have been $1000 to 1100 and not necessarily better.

I have the Zimmerman rotors, and I believe there is enough meat left for another round of pads (I think I'm just going to go with the ones from Textar).

equ 03-07-2021 05:29 PM

Does Textar make a low dust version as well as an OEM-equivalent (identical?) one?