carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What to get next? FC edition (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=147664)

FC 04-09-2018 09:50 AM

What to get next? FC edition

Well, no allocation on the M3, so time to rip up that plan and start a new one. I'll need input on this one.

Current fleet

eGolf: Must be turned in end of Jan 2019. I like having an EV but wife doesn't LOVE it. Buy out is likely to be equal or more than market value, so it is unlikely we will keep it unless VW offers an incentive.

LR4: It's 4.5 years old now. We love it and will indefinitely remain the family car. It is now old enough that if it had to be my wife's DD to the train station it could be, but I rather spare it from such crap duty year round.

Miata: It's a great occasional sports car. Beat up just enough to not obsess over it, super cheap to run and with minimal depreciation impact.

The plan of record

Effectively replace eGolf with nice sports sedan. Wife gets the choice of Miata or LR4 to drive to train station and I drive the sedan with and kids to school and work.

Curveballs:

1) My wife's new job allows her to do the school drop-off 2 days a week on average. She can usually pick them up once a week. That has allowed far more Miata driving than expected, but trouble is I usually have to do either the drop off or pick-up still, which means swapping cars at home for a 4-mile round trip - and that's dumb. I still do it when I get the itch.

2) My oldest will walk to middle school starting fall of 2019, which means I can get away with a 2-seater as a commuter starting then. Key here is that this in only months after the eGolf is turned in.

Options:

1) Turn in eGolf and get the a sports sedan at that time (CPO F80M3, used E90M3, used E39M5, used last of S4 manuals, etc.)

2) Turn in eGolf and pick up a used GTI (or other car) to hold me over until a new, desirable BMW sedan is available (M2 GC, G80 M3). The desirable part is tricky. The M2 GC could be a FWD-based POS, and the G80 could be slushy-only. If so, I waited for nothing.

3) Turn in eGolf and pick up a sub- ~45k sedan. Then wait a year or two and upgrade Miata to a 981/987.2 Boxster.

In all cases, we are open to a cheap EV as a 4th car. But it would have to be Sub 10K - ideally sub 8k. It would be for wife's 8-mile round trips to train station and in-town errands. As long as its real range is a few tens of miles it would work.

JST 04-09-2018 10:06 AM

I'm getting old and crotchety but I just can't see spending the money on even a used F80 M3 for the use cases that you describe. The Golf R is very quick and scratches the itch to drive something manual and fun; I'd look hard at a GTI, which may do the same work for less cash. The bonus there is that you can then replace the Miata with a Boxster or something.

Why no Model 3 in the mix? Not that the answer to every question is "Tesla," but it may be the answer to your specific question.

You've already had a 911, so maybe that's not something you need again. But it would probably work, space-wise.

FC 04-09-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 527106)
I'm getting old and crotchety but I just can't see spending the money on even a used F80 M3 for the use cases that you describe. The Golf R is very quick and scratches the itch to drive something manual and fun; I'd look hard at a GTI, which may do the same work for less cash. The bonus there is that you can then replace the Miata with a Boxster or something.

Why no Model 3 in the mix? Not that the answer to every question is "Tesla," but it may be the answer to your specific question.

You've already had a 911, so maybe that's not something you need again. But it would probably work, space-wise.

All good points. And yes, if the plan includes an upgrade to a Boxster, a Tesla could well be the sedan. It covers both the EV front and does have usable range.* I still don't care for the looks of the Model 3 (used Model S?), but the idea of an EV with legitimate range eventually filling that role is a real possibility. The same goes for a non-MT sedan. Let's be honest, MT options are thin nowadays.

*With my son doing travel sports, we often find the eGolf range is too short. This is starting to annoy my wife (and me) when the only alternatives are a loud, uncomfortable, small roadster and a heavy, large, gas-guzzling SUV. A Tesla 3 would solve that.

bren 04-09-2018 10:24 AM

Seems like a used Model S solves everything. I wish all problems were this simple. :D

FC 04-09-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527114)
Seems like a used Model S solves everything. I wish all problems were this simple. :D

:D

On paper, maybe. But I really rather have a MT cars that is smaller.

JST 04-09-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527112)
All good points. And yes, if the plan includes an upgrade to a Boxster, a Tesla could well be the "sedan." It covers both the EV front and does have usable range.* I still don't care for the looks (used Model S?), but the idea of an EV with legitimate range eventually filling that role is a real possibility. The same goes for a non-MT sedan. Let's be honest, MT options are thin nowadays.

*With my son doing travel sports, we often find the eGolf range is too short. This is starting to annoy my wife (and me) when the only alternatives are a loud, uncomfortable, small roadster and a heavy, large, gas-guzzling SUV. The Model 3 would solve that.

Yes. I think it's worth at least driving a Giulia, just because it's so off-the-wall, and if you can get past the no MT thing, it might be a good choice.

EDIT:

The size of the Model S isn't really that big a deal. It really only comes into play when parallel parking, and with it's various cameras and sensors I find I'm better able to parallel park it than lots of smaller cars I've had. Most days, it's actually nice to have the extra space, and if you're going to use it for travel sports, that's even better.

I'd take a look for a used 90D. It'll be expensive, but the AWD and range are going to give it a flexibility that others won't have. The pro tip here is don't rely on inventory on the website; go in and talk with the Tesla store and have them do an inventory search.

bren 04-09-2018 10:27 AM

You consider the m3 "small" ? :lol:

FC 04-09-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527117)
You consider the m3 "small" ? :lol:

Not at all. But I was willing to let that go for many other reasons.

There is a reason I am hopeful for the M2 sedan.

bren 04-09-2018 10:49 AM

yeah, I get it. I'm just messing with you. Though, if you are willing to overlook the size....

I'd also look at the V-series Cadillacs. There have to be some killer deals to be had on those.

JST 04-09-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527119)
yeah, I get it. I'm just messing with you. Though, if you are willing to overlook the size....

I'd also look at the V-series Cadillacs. There have to be some killer deals to be had on those.

The problem is that the ATS-V has a really, really tiny back seat. Maybe it's OK for FC's kids now? But I'm not sure it is that much more usable than a 2 door M2.

FC, do either of your kids ride in the front seat yet?

dan 04-09-2018 10:54 AM

Neither of my kids (12 and 13 now) have ever complained about back seat space in the 135.

Although I'm short and the passenger seat is usually empty

bren 04-09-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 527123)
The problem is that the ATS-V has a really, really tiny back seat. Maybe it's OK for FC's kids now? But I'm not sure it is that much more usable than a 2 door M2.

He said it's 4 miles to school. How much room do they need? EDIT: 4 miles ROUND TRIP. Imagine, the poor kids might have to bend down to get in the car. :lol:

I've questioned plenty of times the perceived necessity of a sedan. I make do just fine with the e46m3 and daily kid duty. So yeah, if I were him, I'd do an m2 CP and call it a day.

*Actually, if I were him, I would've kept the 911 and avoided this new conundrum completely.

FC 04-09-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 527123)

Yes, a used CTS-V is also in consideration. I really hated the interior, though.

The oldest is 10.5, the little one getting close to 9. Technically they cannot go in the front seat. The Miata has a loophole in that it has no back seat. So I've driven them both (individually, of course!) on the passenger seat with the airbag hard-disabled with a key, and the seat all the way back.

Josh (PA) 04-09-2018 11:11 AM

My son, who is a very tall 12 yr old, rides in the back of the 1er just fine. I agree with Bren, kids *can* fit in the back of a coupe for a few miles. I'd check out an M2. I'd also look at the S7 to see if it is any good (I know nothing about it), just another option.

FC 04-09-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527125)
He said it's 4 miles to school. How much room do they need? EDIT: 4 miles ROUND TRIP. Imagine, the poor kids might have to bend down to get in the car. :lol:

I've questioned plenty of times the perceived necessity of a sedan. I make do just fine with the e46m3 and daily kid duty. So yeah, if I were him, I'd do an m2 CP and call it a day.

*Actually, if I were him, I would've kept the 911 and avoided this new conundrum completely.

^Don't think for a second I am not starting to regret that - a little. But it was still the right call at the time.

I'll just add that while the Miata/Boxster/whatever has few restrictions, whatever "sedan" or equivalent I get has to have full approval by Mrs. FC. And for reference, she hated being in the Turbo. She felt it was too uncomfortable/low/loud/etc. So there is that. That sedan has to be a family car. It can have a sporty edge, but has to be useful and ergonomic. For example, it has to be tolerable on a drive to Canada if needed.

bren 04-09-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527128)
has to have full approval by Mrs. FC.

Considering that you already have one "reasonable" vehicle option in the driveway, I don't understand this at all. So, good luck with that.

FC 04-09-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527132)
Considering that you already have one "reasonable" vehicle option in the driveway, I don't understand this at all. So, good luck with that.

Considering I get to have a "whatever you want" car, I don't think her requirement that the 2 cars be able to carry the family of 4 comfortably is unreasonable.:dunno:

bren 04-09-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527143)
Considering I get to have a "whatever you want" car, I don't think her requirement that the 2 cars be able to carry the family of 4 comfortably is unreasonable.:dunno:

That's why you're married to her and not me. :D

rumatt 04-09-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527148)
That's why you're married and not me. :D

Fixed. :lol:

PS: right now I'm all about pickup trucks, which I don't think will be of much use in this thread.

bren 04-09-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527149)
PS: right now I'm all about pickup trucks, which I don't think will be of much use in this thread.

Actually, a Ram 1500 would be very comfortable for a road trip, and more than capable of handling Canada. Also handy for many around the house types of jobs that I'm sure his wife demands of him. :eeps: :p

FC 04-09-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527150)
Actually, a Ram 1500 would be very comfortable for a road trip, and more than capable of handling Canada. Also handy for many around the house types of jobs that I'm sure his wife demands of him. :eeps: :p

:lol: A truck would be nice, for sure. For now, the cheap HF trailer does the trick when I need a full sheet or something that doesn't fit in the LR4.

wdc330i 04-09-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 527127)
My son, who is a very tall 12 yr old, rides in the back of the 1er just fine. I agree with Bren, kids *can* fit in the back of a coupe for a few miles. I'd check out an M2. I'd also look at the S7 to see if it is any good (I know nothing about it), just another option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527150)

My tall almost-12-year-old begs to get in the back seat of the 2. Don't know why, but he loves it back there.

My FIL's Ram (Quad cab?) was the only vehicle available us that could easily fit the five of us and all our luggage on a recent trip to the airport to catch a 7-day cruise.

John V 04-09-2018 05:35 PM

If it needs to be fun, the model S doesn't scratch that itch. It's fast. It's not fun. At least I don't think so.

The E90 M3 is a great car, if you get one without iDrive. And if you don't care about fuel range. And if you are okay with major internal engine repairs.

E39 M5s are just old. They drive old, and big. Blah.

Any F series Bmw... No.

I keep hearing my friends who own the newer Audi S4s crowing about how good they are. I'd probably test drive on if I needed a sorta fun, four door car.

FC 04-09-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 527169)
If it needs to be fun, the model S doesn't scratch that itch. It's fast. It's not fun. At least I don't think so.

The E90 M3 is a great car, if you get one without iDrive. And if you don't care about fuel range. And if you are okay with major internal engine repairs.

E39 M5s are just old. They drive old, and big. Blah.

Any F series Bmw... No.

I keep hearing my friends who own the newer Audi S4s crowing about how good they are. I'd probably test drive on if I needed a sorta fun, four door car.

I agree with you on all counts. Well, the very late ZCP F80s are not bad but they are very expensive.

I’d be all over an R if it weren’t for lack of moonroof. Then again I hear they leak more times than they should.

As for the E90 M3, I thought it was just one big issue that could be addressed preventatively, no?

As for the Tesla, I suspect it will be like the eGolf on steroids. So yeah, not ideal, but if I get enough seat time in a Boxster, I might survive.

Nick M3 04-09-2018 06:04 PM

Main and rod bearings are both issues on the E90. It’s only really worth addressing the rod bearings.

Overall, though, I am pretty happy with mine.

John V 04-09-2018 07:11 PM

I really like them, but I'm sort of over BMW at this point.

clyde 04-09-2018 11:46 PM

Used Chevy SS? I mean, I know probably not for a few reasons, but just to mention it.

Nice to someone else mention the Giulia. I think I suggested it a few times to you and I think there was a (rightful) collective laugh from everyone. Probably still the correct response, but yeah, I still want one. As a lease, with the right numbers and a short commute...I mean, why not?

JST 04-10-2018 05:27 AM

What to get next? FC edition

Well, lease or not I’d still be a little worried about the build quality on the giulia, which from what people say is just laughably bad. Even if that’s all warranty work, it’s still a pain in the ass.

On the Model S and fun—it’s big and heavy and the steering is not particularly communicative. It’s been a while since I’ve driven an E90 M3, but my recollection is that that car had the same problem; I especially recall it feeling big and numb in comparison to the Porsche.

In fairness, it’s probably much less big and numb than the Tesla, but for the kind of driving I do the difference isn’t material. The Tesla is actually more fun, because you can access its performance all the time, whereas in an urban setting you’re always dealing with the E90s relatively weak low end.

John V 04-10-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 527191)
Well, lease or not I’d still be a little worried about the build quality on the giulia, which from what people say is just laughably bad. Even if that’s all warranty work, it’s still a pain in the ass.

On the Model S and fun—it’s big and heavy and the steering is not particularly communicative. It’s been a while since I’ve driven an E90 M3, but my recollection is that that car had the same problem; I especially recall it feeling big and numb in comparison to the Porsche.

In fairness, it’s probably much less big and numb than the Tesla, but for the kind of driving I do the difference isn’t material. The Tesla is actually more fun, because you can access its performance all the time, whereas in an urban setting you’re always dealing with the E90s relatively weak low end.

If you're drudging around the city, there's really no point to having an M3. A GTI would be more fun.

FC 04-10-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 527192)
If you're drudging around the city, there's really no point to having an M3. A GTI would be more fun.

Agreed. As I mentioned before, the MCS was often more fun than the Turbo. The Miata certain is. Short gearing is fun around town.

For that reason, "upgrading to a Boxster" may just be upgrading to a newer Miata instead.

Back to the Model S talk. Again, as a 'round town errand runner/school bus, the Model S may be the most fun. I mean, I do have runs and twists, but not that many and not at speeds to matter that much. The eGolf is entertaining enough, so I suspect the Models is will blow it away. I should drive one. I have a dealership 5 minutes away.

wdc330i 04-10-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527194)
Agreed. As I mentioned before, the MCS was often more fun than the Turbo. The Miata certain is. Short gearing is fun around town.

For that reason, "upgrading to a Boxster" may just be upgrading to a newer Miata instead.

Back to the Model S talk. Again, as a 'round town errand runner/school bus, the Model S may be the most fun. I mean, I do have runs and twists, but not that many and not at speeds to matter that much. The eGolf is entertaining enough, so I suspect the Models is will blow it away. I should drive one. I have a dealership 5 minutes away.

The new Boxsters solve this. Fun at any speed.

FC 04-10-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 527195)
The new Boxsters solve this. Fun at any speed.

It's not about the power for me. It's more the ability to rev to red line in 2nd around town without getting arrested. I think my 987.1S did 74mph in second. The NC Miata is something like 46 mph and 3rd is ~78.

Biggins 04-10-2018 10:14 AM

I'd still go for the F80 M3 or wait for the M2 Gran Coupe if that becomes a thing. :dunno:

FC 04-10-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggins (Post 527213)
I'd still go for the F80 M3 or wait for the M2 Gran Coupe if that becomes a thing. :dunno:

Well, they are both the same option, really. I pick up a used GTI, bide my time until/if the M2 GC and G80 M3 are revealed, and if they blow, I can always pick up a CPO '17/'18 F80 if that is what I want.

But that brings up the larger point that both the M2GC and the G80 M3 will be available after I only have to give 1 and maybe no kids rides to school.

Is it really worth it to spend big bucks for a sedan I'll drive alone during the week? After school there is the issue of practices and weekend games, so that is a bit redeeming, but I dunno how things will shake out. So far only one wants to do club soccer, so that is still ok with a roadster.

Everything points to a GTI for the next two years as a bridge car. Heck, I could probably lease a new one.

bren 04-10-2018 11:01 AM

So this is just something I've wondered...do you not pay taxes on car purchases in Mass? I have no idea how it makes sense to your financial discipline to constantly swap cars just to buy the same car all over again.

FC 04-10-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527230)
So this is just something I've wondered...do you not pay taxes on car purchases in Mass? I have no idea how it makes sense to your financial discipline to constantly swap cars just to buy the same car all over again.

I do. 6.25%. You get tax credit on trade-ins.

Leases are taxed on a monthly basis - which is why I mentioned it on the GTI. I have to see if leases make sense on those. I'd imagine they should since they are fairly sought-after.

Contrary to what you may believe, I do keep my cars "for a while." The notable exceptions are the Porsches. But both were bought at enough of a discount that a dealer trade-in hit would have dwarfed absorbing the lost sales tax. On cheaper cars, I don't sweat the sales tax (JGC & Miata).

For the record, a list:

190E 2.6 - 5 years
E46 ZHP - 6 years
9-2X - 2 years (wife's fault)
V70R - 4 years
JGC - 4 years
987S - 1.5 years
MCS - 5 years
E91 - Lease (27 months)
997TT - 3 years
eGolf - Lease (36 months)
LR4 - 4.5 years and counting
Miata - 1.5 years and counting

John V 04-10-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527230)

Not everyone has been driving the same car for the last fifteen years, Bren :lol:

equ 04-10-2018 12:51 PM

We all get our kicks in different ways... I agree with WDC that a boxster, cayman and likely a 911 is fun at any speed. It is a more satisfying, overall sporty/luxurious experience to partially rev a flat-6 rather than rev a 4-cyl to its literal limit. I hit the limiter a few times in five years with my 987.1S Cayman but only in first. That's a few times in 34k miles.

Porsches are also comfy enough on the highway for two or less. Horses for courses...

Those who don't like an e39 m5 are unlikely to love a b8 or b8.5 s4, no matter how capable that car is, it still has very oddly weighted steering and has an overall digital/synthetic feel. I think a lightly chipped GTI (and by extension the Golf R) is way more fun to drive.

But we are all different. I know nothing about autox classes. From videos that I watched, I would not have been able to get a 4-cyl Camaro, the v6 and the SS both sound so good.

bren 04-10-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 527244)
Not everyone has been driving the same car for the last fifteen years, Bren :lol:

:speechle:

I do wish MD wasn't so stupid on leases. How it makes any sense to pay tax on the full purchase price on a lease I'll never know.

Alan 04-10-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527128)
And for reference, she hated being in the Turbo. She felt it was too uncomfortable/low/loud/etc.

That is too funny, my wife & older daughter cannot understand why I even have the 911 ... they both ask me whenever they are in it 'do you really like this car' ... it cracks me up :lol:

Back on topic ... it sounds like a new A4 might fit the bill, it is a fun sports sedan that is available in a manual.