carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   new car shopping (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=48352)

Optimus Prime 11-22-2011 10:27 PM

new car shopping

Looking for a "second car" to compliment the Passat Wagon.

Needs:
-Good MPG
-Manual
-Doesn't suck

Right now the top two cars are the Mazda 3 and Golf TDI. The Focus was impressive, but the Mazda 3 is better. Loved the TDI, but that's starting to push how much I want to spend.

More in depth test drives on Friday.

Josh (PA) 11-22-2011 10:30 PM

do you want new?

Jeff_DML 11-22-2011 10:59 PM

Which Mazda 3, I am interested in the skyactiv one but cannot find a 6MT in SoCal to test drive

bren 11-22-2011 11:13 PM

a Mini?

Optimus Prime 11-22-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 324215)
do you want new?

yes, only because the used market is overpriced at the moment. I may be convinced by a car owned by someone I know and can trust or the right CPO
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 324218)
Which Mazda 3, I am interested in the skyactiv one but cannot find a 6MT in SoCal to test drive

They have sedan skyactiv 6MT on the lot here. I drove the 5door auto skyactiv yesterday.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 324219)
a Mini?

Maybe, but the cost is creeping up there when compared to the Focus, Kia, Mazda.

Cost creep already set in to get me to the Golf TDI; I started at "cheap set of wheels" but the lowest levels of cars suck bad.

Sharp11 11-23-2011 12:07 AM

I like the Golf TDI - 40 mpg is tough to sneeze at. Also, there's just an overall goodness to the car, even if it is a bit less than exciting. Problem is, you've already got a Passat.

Since you're looking for a car to "compliment" the Passat, a Mini might make a better "fun" alternate ride.

Cars are so good now, you almost can't go wrong, unless you went with the new Civic, which has become vomit-inducingly banal.

JST 11-23-2011 06:01 AM

Veloster? Fiat? Scion tC? Wait for Toyobaru? Mustang V6? Genesis coupe?

John V 11-23-2011 06:08 AM

Toyobaru mileage is supposed to suck. I think they're predicting 19/27? Miserable for a light, four cylinder car.

RMR 11-23-2011 08:17 AM

I second the Golf TDI. I looked at and drove one a few months back and loved it. For me it would be a perfect commuter up here in Chicago. The only issue for me was the cost. The sticker price gets up there quick when you add the good stuff on.

I would take a look at the Honda Fit Sport also. Drive one and you might be surprised at how go cart like it is. It's also got a great amount of utility in it.

SARAFIL 11-23-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMR (Post 324242)
I second the Golf TDI. I looked at and drove one a few months back and loved it. For me it would be a perfect commuter up here in Chicago. The only issue for me was the cost. The sticker price gets up there quick when you add the good stuff on.

I would take a look at the Honda Fit Sport also. Drive one and you might be surprised at how go cart like it is. It's also got a great amount of utility in it.

+1 on both

If you are ok with the price, TDI is cool. If you want something cheaper, the Fit is surprisingly nice. Could use a few more hp, but very versatile and handles well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk